Author Topic: The Meaning Of The Bible  (Read 31545 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: The Meaning Of The Bible
« Reply #450 on: March 03, 2021, 12:59:11 PM »
The passage as a whole is about the Israelites retaining possession of the land.
But no passage accepts slavery.
Any passage that regulates slavery without saying "don't do it" is accepting slavery and there are plenty of those in the Bible.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Spud

« Reply #451 on: March 03, 2021, 01:02:55 PM »
Any passage that regulates slavery without saying "don't do it" is accepting slavery and there are plenty of those in the Bible.
See my edit of last post. Slavery in the sense of war captives is part of the judgment on Canaan. Other than that, the Bible condemns it.

Spud

« Reply #452 on: March 03, 2021, 01:04:06 PM »
It does not allow kidnapping, or return of escaped servants, or harsh treatment.

Roses

« Reply #453 on: March 03, 2021, 01:43:59 PM »
It does not allow kidnapping, or return of escaped servants, or harsh treatment.

I am beginning to wonder if you have ever read the Bible! ::) Harsh treatment is its stock in trade especially in the OT.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #454 on: March 03, 2021, 02:14:43 PM »
See my edit of last post. Slavery in the sense of war captives is part of the judgment on Canaan.
I suppose that's OK since the alternative was annihilation.
Other than that, the Bible condemns it.
No it doesn't.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Spud

« Reply #455 on: March 03, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if you have ever read the Bible! ::) Harsh treatment is its stock in trade especially in the OT.

Can you give some examples? I'll start off with Deut. 20:11, in which which most modern translations say cities that surrender would be subject to forced labour. You would be justified in interpreting this as harsh treatment,  however three literal translations (Young's, Smith's and Literal Standard) render it "they will be tributaries to you and will serve you". Not quite the same.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:26:27 PM by Spud »

Roses

« Reply #456 on: March 03, 2021, 06:40:30 PM »
Can you give some examples? I'll start off with Deut. 20:11, in which which most modern translations say cities that surrender would be subject to forced labour. You would be justified in interpreting this as harsh treatment,  however three literal translations however (Young's, Smith's and Literal Standard) render it "they will be tributaries to you and will serve you". Not quite the same.

Assuming the Biblical god actually exists and what is written about it in the Bible is factual, it is an evil entity, that seems to enjoy human suffering. You appear to be making excuses for its barbaric behaviour and that of its Biblical stooges! >:(

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #457 on: March 03, 2021, 07:21:09 PM »
At the time, the claim was underpinned by evidence. This is Rahab talking to the spies:
"We have heard how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea a for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to Sihon and Og, the two kings of the Amorites east of the Jordan, whom you completely destroyed. b 11When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below."
Joshua 2

That doesn't necessarily prove it for us, but it does justify the ownership of the land of Israel by the descendants of Jacob (given to them by God), in the story at least.

It's an anecdote, Spud: not evidence.

Spud

« Reply #458 on: March 18, 2021, 04:21:18 PM »
Looks like John MacArthur disagrees with me. He says a slave is someone owned by another person, and so we should not be scared to translate 'slave' in those contexts.
A Christian is owned by Christ and thus is his slave. If you call someone Lord then you are his slave. When Jesus said no-one can serve two masters he was talking about slaves, not servants (since a servant can serve more than one master but a slave is owned by only one).
Link to sermon

Roses

« Reply #459 on: March 18, 2021, 04:31:46 PM »
Looks like John MacArthur disagrees with me. He says a slave is someone owned by another person, and so we should not be scared to translate 'slave' in those contexts.
A Christian is owned by Christ and thus is his slave. If you call someone Lord then you are his slave. When Jesus said no-one can serve two masters he was talking about slaves, not servants (since a servant can serve more than one master but a slave is owned by only one).
Link to sermon

It is WRONG to own anyone that includes Jesus.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #460 on: March 18, 2021, 06:04:23 PM »
It is WRONG to own anyone that includes Jesus.
Jesus is known in some christian circles as the servant king.

Roses

« Reply #461 on: March 18, 2021, 06:19:02 PM »
Jesus is known in some christian circles as the servant king.

Assuming Jesus existed, he was a very human guy with faults and failings just like the rest of us, that is clear from the Biblical accounts of his words and deeds.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #462 on: March 18, 2021, 07:06:47 PM »
Assuming Jesus existed, he was a very human guy with faults and failings just like the rest of us, that is clear from the Biblical accounts of his words and deeds.
To what moral source or authority are you appealing to?

Roses

« Reply #463 on: March 19, 2021, 11:34:24 AM »
To what moral source or authority are you appealing to?

Ehhhhhhhhhh?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #464 on: March 20, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »
I disagree. The Bible accounts of Jesus suggest that he was executed but then came alive again. That's not a very human guy. Several of the Bible accounts claim that he is God, again, not characteristic of a human guy.

Spud

« Reply #465 on: March 30, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »
I suppose that's OK since the alternative was annihilation.No it doesn't.
If it prohibits kidnapping, then logically the foreign 'slaves' it refers to in Leviticus 25 must have been in that situation voluntarily or if the law had required them to be, for example if they were required to make restitution for theft.

Roses

« Reply #466 on: March 30, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
If it prohibits kidnapping, then logically the foreign 'slaves' it refers to in Leviticus 25 must have been in that situation voluntarily or if the law had required them to be, for example if they were required to make restitution for theft.

You are trying to make excuses for the Biblical take on slavery! >:(

Spud

« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2021, 08:15:29 AM »
You are trying to make excuses for the Biblical take on slavery! >:(
If that were case, then I suppose I would be, yes.

Roses

« Reply #468 on: April 02, 2021, 11:25:01 AM »
If that were case, then I suppose I would be, yes.

Slavery is evil, >:( any god which doesn't condemn it is evil too.

Spud

« Reply #469 on: April 03, 2021, 11:29:25 AM »
Slavery is evil, >:( any god which doesn't condemn it is evil too.
I agree, but let's look at the passage again. Suppose we are the Israelites. We are the owners of the country. If one of us goes into debt, he can live with another one of us until the year of jubilee, when his debt is to be cancelled and he goes back to his property. There are some foreigners living among us who are allowed to own houses in the towns. If one of them goes into debt, he can also live with an Israelite, but the jubilee rule doesn't apply. If they want to remain in Israel, they have to be servants because they have no inheritance. This ensured that the land remained in the possession of the Israelites. If the foreign servant wanted to leave he was free to, as he couldn't be forced to return to his master, but was allowed to choose whom he wanted to work for.
There was no capturing and enslaving involved, unless he had committed a crime. It was equivalent to indentured servitude. I would compare it to the class system, where you have lower and higher class: it is no more evil than that.

Roses

« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2021, 11:33:55 AM »
I agree, but let's look at the passage again. Suppose we are the Israelites. We are the owners of the country. If one of us goes into debt, he can live with another one of us until the year of jubilee, when his debt is to be cancelled and he goes back to his property. There are some foreigners living among us who are allowed to own houses in the towns. If one of them goes into debt, he can also live with an Israelite, but the jubilee rule doesn't apply. If they want to remain in Israel, they have to be servants because they have no inheritance. This ensured that the land remained in the possession of the Israelites. If the foreign servant wanted to leave he was free to, as he couldn't be forced to return to his master, but was allowed to choose whom he wanted to work for.
There was no capturing and enslaving involved, unless he had committed a crime. It was equivalent to indentured servitude. I would compare it to the class system, where you have lower and higher class: it is no more evil than that.

Oh spud you have made all that nonsense up! There is never any excuse for slavery.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2021, 11:53:35 AM »
I would compare it to the class system, where you have lower and higher class: it is no more evil than that.

Except, of course, that the class system is pretty evil.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #472 on: April 03, 2021, 01:41:08 PM »
Except, of course, that the class system is pretty evil.

Agreed.

Spud

« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2021, 07:33:39 PM »
Oh spud you have made all that nonsense up! There is never any excuse for slavery.
It's actually there in leviticus 25, if you look: the land belonging to the Israelites, the foreigner living among them.  The passage does not describe slavery as we would define it.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2021, 08:07:24 PM »
It's actually there in leviticus 25, if you look: the land belonging to the Israelites, the foreigner living among them.  The passage does not describe slavery as we would define it.

So how is slavery described in Leviticus 25?