Author Topic: Theism And Atheism  (Read 7380 times)

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
    • Atheist Annotated Bible
Theism And Atheism
« on: October 31, 2020, 05:03:16 PM »
Okay, this is probably not going to work, but I heard this crazy idea that to have a dialogue between two opposing groups you should start with where you agree and take it from there. I know . . . I always thought that you were supposed to start off with the theist making excellent points from a rational perspective in a reasonable manner and the opposition was supposed to repeatedly call you a poo poo head and plug their ears shouting "Nah! Nah! Nah!"

That's the way I've grown accustomed to anyway.

That's right, you heard me.

Now!

Uh, well, I don't see it working for a couple reasons. 1. We aren't groups. I don't represent theism, I just happen to be theist. And 2. Since atheists like to pretend that they are independent, critical thinkers instead of brainwashed poster children for group think I can assume that you all don't speak on behalf of any atheist collective either.

Let's cut to the chase in an attempt at starting off a dialogue. Just to see what happens. Starting. Right. Now!

What do atheists and theists - strike that - what do believers and unbelievers have in common?

Pretty much anything any other group of people would have in common. We're born, we live, we die. We are every age, size, color, nationality, etc. Some of us political, some not. Some rich, poor, some educated, some not, some this, some that, the other and what have you and so forth.

We both have our religious tendencies. Religious being a strict adherence to a set of principles or beliefs. You don't agree or at least aren't educated enough on the subject to realize that money, gambling, knitting, art, television, or anything else can be your god so let's just skip that and you can live in denial that things like the soul, spirit, heavens, hell, sin, aren't real and keep denying you have religion, faith and belief, and you can go on thinking traditional Biblical interpretations you've probably founded your disbelief on are misrepresentations of the Bible, most of which comes from Greek philosophers that you probably know little about. Plato, Socrates, Aristotle. The latter also taught evolution, along with other Greek philosophers like  Empedocles, Anaximander and Anaxagoras; which you probably also didn't know.

Hmmm. So, that's pretty much what we have in common. We disagree.

“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” ― Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Theism And Atheism
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 05:17:25 PM »
TS,

Okay, this is probably not going to work, but I heard this crazy idea that to have a dialogue between two opposing groups you should start with where you agree and take it from there. I know . . . I always thought that you were supposed to start off with the theist making excellent points from a rational perspective in a reasonable manner and the opposition was supposed to repeatedly call you a poo poo head and plug their ears shouting "Nah! Nah! Nah!"

Now!

Not here you haven’t. Why not start with these “excellent” points of yours to find out though?

Uh, well, I don't see it working for a couple reasons. 1. We aren't groups. I don't represent theism, I just happen to be theist. And 2. Since atheists like to pretend that they are independent, critical thinkers instead of brainwashed poster children for group think I can assume that you all don't speak on behalf of any atheist collective either.

Ah, the fallacy of poisoning the well.

Let's cut to the chase in an attempt at starting off a dialogue. Just to see what happens. Starting. Right. Now!

Go for it cowboy!

What do atheists and theists - strike that - what do believers and unbelievers have in common?

Pretty much anything any other group of people would have in common. We're born, we live, we die. We are every age, size, color, nationality, etc. Some of us political, some not. Some rich, poor, some educated, some not, some this, some that, the other and what have you and so forth.

Erm…

We both have our religious tendencies. Religious being a strict adherence to a set of principles or beliefs.

That’s not what “religious” means.

You don't agree or at least aren't educated enough on the subject to realize that money, gambling, knitting, art, television, or anything else can be your god so let's just skip that and you can live in denial that things like the soul, spirit, heavens, hell, sin, aren't real and keep denying you have religion, faith and belief, and you can go on thinking traditional Biblical interpretations you've probably founded your disbelief on are misrepresentations of the Bible, most of which comes from Greek philosophers that you probably know little about. Plato, Socrates, Aristotle. The latter also taught evolution, along with other Greek philosophers like  Empedocles, Anaximander and Anaxagoras; which you probably also didn't know.

You told us that you were going to start a dialogue, then posted an incoherent and reason-free rant.

Yes, but atheism is disagreement for reasons. So far at least your theism is all “what” and no “why”. By all means try again though if you actually would like to start a dialogue as you claimed. Why not begin with telling us why you believe whatever it is that you do believe?   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »
most of which comes from Greek philosophers that you probably know little about. Plato, Socrates, Aristotle. The latter also taught evolution, along with other Greek philosophers like  Empedocles, Anaximander and Anaxagoras; which you probably also didn't know.

Well, I did, and I'm pretty sure a number of educated chaps here did as well. Though Aristotle's ideas can be seen as only loosely pre-figuring modern ideas on evolution. More a precursor of Lamarck.
As for some of our regulars not knowing about certain ancient philosophers - stick around and NearlySane, bluehillside himself, and a number of others may yet surprise you. You seem to have come here setting yourself up as the fount of all wisdom, and then start having tantrums when your arguments are dissected and handed back to you in a sling.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »

Now!

We both have our religious tendencies. Religious being a strict adherence to a set of principles or beliefs. You don't agree or at least aren't educated enough on the subject to realize that money, gambling, knitting, art, television, or anything else can be your god so let's just skip that and you can live in denial that things like the soul, spirit, heavens, hell, sin, aren't real and keep denying you have religion, faith and belief, and you can go on thinking traditional Biblical interpretations you've probably founded your disbelief on are misrepresentations of the Bible, most of which comes from Greek philosophers that you probably know little about. Plato, Socrates, Aristotle. The latter also taught evolution, along with other Greek philosophers like  Empedocles, Anaximander and Anaxagoras; which you probably also didn't know.

When you have something sensible to say I'll be more than happy to respond. Keep repeating stupid don't do it for me. Sorry.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

SusanDoris

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 06:00:06 PM »
Theoretical Skeptic link=topic=17954.msg817476#msg817476 date=1604163796]
Okay, this is probably not going to work,
I agree - it probably won't. As far as I can see - and you posted earlier on that you hav joined many forums over the years - you have never quite got the hang of writing an OP that does in fact start a good discussion.  From my experience of over 15 years on several message boards, and from my experience with various discussion groups over the years, I have learnt to spot the opening posts which are going nowhere.  I am, however, happy to be proved wrong if I find I am in this case.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 06:10:13 PM »
Ignoring the various bits from the OP that seem to contradict its declared aim, I agree that theism and atheism are not what I see as significant differences. I met one of my best friends who is a theist because of posting on here. I love him dearly.

There are others who I like and respect, Anchorman, Gabriella (whether violent or not). I don't think atheism shows anything other than not believing in a god. Many atheists are arses.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 06:54:06 PM »
TS,

Not here you haven’t.

Yes I have. You do realize that when an atheist makes an excellent point I can see that even though we don't agree? There's nothing I can say to you, I suspect, that you wouldn't dismiss without knowing jack shit about it. Am I wrong? I haven't seen it yet. Now, I've been busy with other stuff and it is possible I've missed it, but your responses to me are standard, predictable, smug, arrogant, atheist (and I don't care if you're atheist or not) answers to which I have always and continue to respond to in kind.   

We can play that game until the proverbial return of the bovine.

Why not start with these “excellent” points of yours to find out though?

I'm continuing forward. If you think about it just in the post to which you've responded I've made the allusion the traditional meaning of the soul, spirit, sin, hell, faith, etc. which we could discuss.

You, probably being familiar with the traditional pagan soul adopted by apostate Christianity from ancient Babylonian teachings through Socrates would rightly dismiss as nonsense but a more literal interpretation you would wave your hand in smug self righteous indignation as Jehovah's Witness gobbledygook without actually saying anything at all. 

Ah, the fallacy of poisoning the well.

Go for it cowboy!

Yeah. Like that.

That’s not what “religious” means.

Oxford: treated or regarded with a devotion and scrupulousness appropriate to worship. "I have a religious aversion to reading manuals"

You told us that you were going to start a dialogue, then posted an incoherent and reason-free rant.

I posted excellent content in a smug and self righteous verbosity. When in Rome.   

Yes, but atheism is disagreement for reasons. So far at least your theism is all “what” and no “why”. By all means try again though if you actually would like to start a dialogue as you claimed. Why not begin with telling us why you believe whatever it is that you do believe?   

It doesn't matter. Makes no difference. None of your business. I'm here to talk about atheism vs theism and in the Christian forum the Bible. I figure we should get to know one another in this forum first. But I think we know each other well enough. This isn't our first rodeo.
“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” ― Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 07:03:00 PM »
When you have something sensible to say I'll be more than happy to respond. Keep repeating stupid don't do it for me. Sorry.

Was you waiting for that?

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 07:11:50 PM »
Well, I did, and I'm pretty sure a number of educated chaps here did as well.

They did? 

Though Aristotle's ideas can be seen as only loosely prefiguring modern ideas on evolution. More a precursor of Lamarck.

Well, that isn't terribly relevant, though, is it? The same could be said of the evolution I was taught in middle school. The same can be said of today's evolution on the morrow.

As for some of our regulars not knowing about certain ancient philosophers - stick around and NearlySane, bluehillside himself, and a number of others may yet surprise you.

Other than noting that their nonsensical musings have been adopted by apostate theism and horribly transmogrified the meaning of the Bible in the eyes of the ignorant there isn't much to say. 

You seem to have come here setting yourself up as the fount of all wisdom, and then start having tantrums when your arguments are dissected and handed back to you in a sling.

Yeah . . . I think that's a sort of defense mechanism. I'm coming off of a Christian forum which I absolutely hated. One of you posting there actually invited me here months ago but there was some problem with registering that has since then worked itself out. So I kind of act like a jerk when I perceive atheists in a forum are doing the same, but a bit more in this case because of being so repressed on the so called Christian forum full of atheists. Not that I'm complaining about that, I rarely have discussions with Christians. I'm far more interested in atheists.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »
I agree - it probably won't. As far as I can see - and you posted earlier on that you hav joined many forums over the years - you have never quite got the hang of writing an OP that does in fact start a good discussion.  From my experience of over 15 years on several message boards, and from my experience with various discussion groups over the years, I have learnt to spot the opening posts which are going nowhere.  I am, however, happy to be proved wrong if I find I am in this case.

Well, you know, you are always welcome to steer the passengers surviving the train wreck in a more positive area. Soul, hell, sin, faith, spirit, belief . . . nothing to say of these?

According to the Bible the soul is the life / blood of any breathing creature. It is mortal. Hell is the common grave. Sin means to miss the mark. Speeding, for example, is a sin. Being late for work is a sin against your employer. Spirit is any invisible active force like breath, wind, mental inclination, you have faith your spouse, in money.

No thoughts?

Where do you think we might agree? Is group think a theistic as well as an atheistic characteristic?

What is faith, belief and truth? Latin credit?

Has there ever been a people in the history of mankind that weren't in some sense of the word, religious? Most world religions are not theistic. Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism. Hinduism and Scientology leave belief in a god up to the individual. Many Christians and Jews are atheists and only adhere to some formal paradigm for cultural reasons.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:15:16 PM by Theoretical Skeptic »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 07:26:00 PM »
TS,

Yes I have. You do realize that when an atheist makes an excellent point I can see that even though we don't agree? There's nothing I can say to you, I suspect, that you wouldn't dismiss without knowing jack shit about it. Am I wrong? I haven't seen it yet. Now, I've been busy with other stuff and it is possible I've missed it, but your responses to me are standard, predictable, smug, arrogant, atheist (and I don't care if you're atheist or not) answers to which I have always and continue to respond to in kind.

Yes you are wrong. You make various claims and assertions. Sometimes you don’t bother with arguments to justify them, so there’s no reason to take them seriously. On other occasions you have attempted arguments to justify them, and when you’ve done that I’ve explained why those arguments are wrong. That’s not to say that you haven’t got other arguments in the locker that you haven’t tried yet, and nor is it to say that any such arguments will necessarily be wrong too. So far though, throwing pejorative terms at the person who's undone you rather than attempting to rebut the falsifications you’ve been given points only to your insecurities.     

We can play that game until the proverbial return of the bovine.

When faith meets reason there is no game: it's over before it starts.

I'm continuing forward. If you think about it just in the post to which you've responded I've made the allusion the traditional meaning of the soul, spirit, sin, hell, faith, etc. which we could discuss.

We could, but to do that we’d have to sort out your abuse of language first. Essentially you take terms used in religious contexts that have been borrowed for colloquial purposes (“god”, divine” etc) and then seek to claim them to be epistemically equivalent. It’s a bizarre approach – presumably if I called my dog “faithful” that would make her religious too in your ontology – and you can’t just get away with it as a Trojan horse for the terms you actually intend in a religious discussion.     

You, probably being familiar with the traditional pagan soul adopted by apostate Christianity from ancient Babylonian teachings through Socrates would rightly dismiss as nonsense but a more literal interpretation you would wave your hand in smug self righteous indignation as Jehovah's Witness gobbledygook without actually saying anything at all.

I don’t need to say anything about “it”. All I have to do is to reason that the arguments you try to justify your JW beliefs are wrong – so far, a trivially simple thing to do.   

Yeah. Like that.

Pretty mild given your tirades I’d have though, but ok…

Oxford: treated or regarded with a devotion and scrupulousness appropriate to worship. "I have a religious aversion to reading manuals"

I have a “faithful” dog. Which denomination does that make her a member of would you say? How about my “divine” piece of cheesecake? Or maybe the “mystery” of the way my wife always knows what I will think before I think it?

Fun as it is just pretending that colloquial uses of terms somehow makes them equivalent to their theistic usages, it’s a still non-starter for reasons that really should be dawning on you by now.   

I posted excellent content in a smug and self righteous verbosity. When in Rome.

Given your abuse of language I guess it shouldn’t surprise me that you claim your reason free ranting to be “excellent”.

It doesn't matter. Makes no difference. None of your business. I'm here to talk about atheism vs theism and in the Christian forum the Bible. I figure we should get to know one another in this forum first. But I think we know each other well enough. This isn't our first rodeo.

It matters hugely. If you can’t produce coherent and logically sound arguments to justify your beliefs (and, so far at least, you can’t) then you give me no reason to take them seriously. Worse, you give yourself no reason to take them seriously either. 

Does that not give you pause? It should you know – really it should.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 08:22:38 PM »
It doesn't matter. Makes no difference. None of your business. I'm here to talk about atheism vs theism...

So, perhaps you could explain to a mere mortal why it is that you think your opinion about what atheists know and why they believe what they do, is relevant but your own beliefs and the reasons for them are irrelevant and none of our business?

Oh, I get it, perhaps I should take your approach and just make shit up about what you know, what you believe, and why you believe it and that will magically result in a dialogue?

::)
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 09:20:54 PM »
Was you waiting for that?
You keep pitching them, I'll keep hitting them!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 09:28:27 PM »
So, perhaps you could explain to a mere mortal why it is that you think your opinion about what atheists know and why they believe what they do, is relevant but your own beliefs and the reasons for them are irrelevant and none of our business?

Sure. I care about what you believe. You don't care about what I believe.

Oh, I get it, perhaps I should take your approach and just make shit up about what you know, what you believe, and why you believe it and that will magically result in a dialogue?

Shocked! Shocked I am at this outrageous and slanderous gobbledygook.

Anyway. Even if I were just making shit up that would at least require some effort, unlike the horrendous manner in which I've been maligned and disrespected since my humble arrival here, I can tell you!

You guys know I'm just pullin' your chain, don't you? To an extent. Sort of making fun of the stereotypical opposition associated with we men of science fiction? Huh?! C'mon. Let's see a smile on those grumpy ol' fundamental atheist mugs, huh? Sure! No skin off my stiff upper lip. 

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 09:32:31 PM »
You keep pitching them, I'll keep hitting them!

Hey batter, batter . . . swing!

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 01:09:49 AM »
TS,

Yes you are wrong.

Specifically or just in general?

You make various claims and assertions.

Everything everyone says here regarding theism is opinion. You say I'm wrong. I say you are wrong. That's the game. Don't think I don't know who you are.

Sometimes you don’t bother with arguments to justify them, so there’s no reason to take them seriously.

Again, specifically or are you operating on the assumption that whatever I say about the Bible and God and gods is false? According to you whatever I have to say about the aforementioned subjects is wrong. My lengthy posts on historicity and Genesis chapter one, for example. I don't recall a well informed rebuttal of any of that. I just recall people like you, in some sense, saying I was wrong. I don't recall an argument, really. Do we need to revisit those?

I don't think so because, well, I'm just wrong, correct? 

On other occasions you have attempted arguments to justify them, and when you’ve done that I’ve explained why those arguments are wrong.

You may have to refresh my memory. I don't recall that. I'm not familiar with everyone here yet, but all I recall is people saying things like I'm wrong. No explanation. Just wrong.

That’s not to say that you haven’t got other arguments in the locker that you haven’t tried yet, and nor is it to say that any such arguments will necessarily be wrong too. So far though, throwing pejorative terms at the person who's undone you rather than attempting to rebut the falsifications you’ve been given points only to your insecurities.

[Laughs] Okay. Well, I'll have to try to remember that.

When faith meets reason there is no game: it's over before it starts.

Now I think you are telling the truth as you see it. No argument from you. I'm just wrong. Not much point in it, is there? Except for perhaps that I see and am willing to acknowledge the possibility that I'm wrong and you are right. That's why I call you (fundamentalist militant atheists as a collective) ideologues. Now, in my nearly 30 years of debating these atheists I've actually come across a few that were well informed outside of tradition and capable of making good points. Arguments. I'm not saying it isn't here, I'm just saying I haven't seen it. But I'm still interested in hearing your argument. So . . . anytime. [looks at watch]

We could, but to do that we’d have to sort out your abuse of language first.

No, I have to correct your ignorance of language, which is why that is what I first attempted to do, announcing at that time that it was a futile excursion. 

Essentially you take terms used in religious contexts that have been borrowed for colloquial purposes (“god”, divine” etc) and then seek to claim them to be epistemically equivalent. It’s a bizarre approach – presumably if I called my dog “faithful” that would make her religious too in your ontology – and you can’t just get away with it as a Trojan horse for the terms you actually intend in a religious discussion.

[Sigh] Colloquial and metaphoric applications of the word God doesn't negate the meaning of the word. Examples of various Gods, gods, and goddesses are not meanings of the word. All you have to tell me is what does it take to be a god. If you say religious, supernatural, colloquial, metaphoric or give only examples of the word God (or god) you are not giving it's meaning. It's meaning is implicit in the application as well as the example but not given in it's use. To do so would be the same as saying that the meaning of the word man, prince, king, lord et cetera used in a similar way would be definitive of those words or negate their meaning.

The definition of atheism doesn't specify which God or gods are in question. The term disbelief or lack of belief isn't exclusively a religious connotation. The disbelief or lack of belief isn't a trust as in, for example, the Latin word credit, it's a question of existence. The only way an atheist can adhere to the term atheist by definition is to limit the use of the word God and gods thereby excluding most applications and negating the meaning of the word itself. The result is an ignorance, not only of the use of God and gods in a Biblical and theological structure but also the possibility that the concept of God and gods in their intended meaning in any language, primitive or otherwise, of any religious or secular application is erroneous. In other words, an atheist may have many gods in their lives which they don't even know are gods. This can be a problem if the atheist should become theist. So for Jehovah God of the Bible to say you shall have no other gods before me isn't a command to abstain from metaphoric or colloquial applications as can be seen in those very uses in context to the command itself. It begs the question what is or who are those gods?

So the theists try to explain this away by dividing all other gods in comparison to the One True God as being false as opposed to the true, but that doesn't make sense because some were true (Moses, Jesus, the Judges of Israel) and some weren't. Satan, Molech, Ashtoreth, Dagon et cetera. The tactic of the atheist is to say no literal god ever existed, (by extension excluding any colloquial or metaphoric application) which doesn't make sense because, at least to them, Moses, Jesus and the Judges of Israel existed in a literal sense.     

And that doesn't even begin to address the complications of such an argument presents to Shintoism and Hinduism. The latter which was addressed briefly by Sriram in our discussions of gods and the former which I myself brought up. I think. If I didn't then I am now.   

It can certainly be argued that ultimately, at least given the very common misconception, pedantic and as far as I'm concerned we've given it more than enough time.

I don’t need to say anything about “it”. All I have to do is to reason that the arguments you try to justify your JW beliefs are wrong – so far, a trivially simple thing to do.

Yeah, sure. You just keep repeating that you are right and I'm wrong. No reason to give any reason. No real argument. Who's going to disagree with you? Pat yourself on the back for being obstinately obtuse with just the right smug self righteous ideological dispossession. Typical atheist tactic.   

I have a “faithful” dog. Which denomination does that make her a member of would you say?

Why would you make such an ignorant statement? You suggest that to be faithful exclusively applies to the theistic or religious?

How about my “divine” piece of cheesecake?

Venerated colloquially or metaphorically speaking? What about your "devil's food" cake? Implicit in the Devil's existence? Angel food cake? What does devil mean? Slanderer. Angel? Messenger. What's that got to do with cake? Dark. Light. It's nonsensical.

Damn these words!

Or maybe the “mystery” of the way my wife always knows what I will think before I think it?

I dare say it's not such a mystery.

Fun as it is just pretending that colloquial uses of terms somehow makes them equivalent to their theistic usages, it’s a still non-starter for reasons that really should be dawning on you by now.

If I were mentally challenged the equivalent would be lost upon me but it isn't, you see. It's lost upon you. That's okay, though, because we can carry on as if the specific God in question regarding atheism and theism, for that matter, is as limited as you suggest.  I told you you wouldn't get it. I know that when you say God you mean one specific God or application of God's most commonly known in Western culture.     

Given your abuse of language I guess it shouldn’t surprise me that you claim your reason free ranting to be “excellent”.

HEY! Don't knock my ability to rant in a most excellent fashion! Nor underestimate the, uh, the . . . whatsit? Jovial operation of error. Try to Google that, my illusive argumentative, and I'll show you a green dog, see if I don't!

It matters hugely. If you can’t produce coherent and logically sound arguments to justify your beliefs (and, so far at least, you can’t) then you give me no reason to take them seriously. Worse, you give yourself no reason to take them seriously either. 

Does that not give you pause? It should you know – really it should.

Man! (colloquially speaking) I thought I was arrogant!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:16:59 AM by Theoretical Skeptic »

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 03:47:07 AM »
Ignoring the various bits from the OP that seem to contradict its declared aim, I agree that theism and atheism are not what I see as significant differences. I met one of my best friends who is a theist because of posting on here. I love him dearly.

There are others who I like and respect, Anchorman, Gabriella (whether violent or not). I don't think atheism shows anything other than not believing in a god. Many atheists are arses.

As are many theists. Including myself.

Do you think it's political? Social? Can it be compared to political party divisions? The atheist vs. theist thing, I mean.

I don't vote. Don't influence legislation in any way. What if all believers were of that ilk? You wouldn't have much to say in opposition if, not unlike comparisons having been made here with theists, if we believed in leprechauns, ghosts, fairies? Unless we made it political? Or do you think it's about quantity? Number of believers compared to unbelievers. Which is impossible to accurately number in my opinion.

I mean, you can say being atheists just means not believing in gods, but you also think that being theist means just believing in gods. It matters little? That seems hard to believe. All the fuss for nothing? 

SusanDoris

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 06:52:04 AM »
TS

Your first post in response to me included the Latin, quis custodias etc ..., and I thought that was interesting because the ony time I have seen that sig line is from one poster on one forum , and I thought, therefore, that your posts would be interesting. Since the person concerned is of a rational, scientific and technological turn of mind, although with a small area of suspension of disbelief, that person is most definitely not you. If that is not correct, please explain.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 07:35:16 AM »
TS

Your first post in response to me included the Latin, quis custodias etc ..., and I thought that was interesting because the ony time I have seen that sig line is from one poster on one forum , and I thought, therefore, that your posts would be interesting. Since the person concerned is of a rational, scientific and technological turn of mind, although with a small area of suspension of disbelief, that person is most definitely not you. If that is not correct, please explain.

It's a common enough phrase. Surely you wouldn't have jumped to such a conclusion. Had I posted on another forum with that sig line you wouldn't have thought I was scientific for any reason other than that sort of hasty conclusion.

The theory of evolution is a myth.

SusanDoris

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
It's a common enough phrase. Surely you wouldn't have jumped to such a conclusion. Had I posted on another forum with that sig line you wouldn't have thought I was scientific for any reason other than that sort of hasty conclusion.

The theory of evolution is a myth.
Yes, it could be said to have been slightly naive of me to make that connection! However, at my age I can place some blame on the internet with which some of my contemporaries and I have to run fast on the spot  to avoid falling too far behind with its use.

Havve you, during your thirty years of angtagonising as many atheists - and theists -  as you can, found a forum where you actually liked the other forum members?

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »
Yes, it could be said to have been slightly naive of me to make that connection! However, at my age I can place some blame on the internet with which some of my contemporaries and I have to run fast on the spot  to avoid falling too far behind with its use.

Havve you, during your thirty years of angtagonising as many atheists - and theists -  as you can, found a forum where you actually liked the other forum members?

Do I seem a disagreeable antagonist to you, Susan? I don't think I've ever been on a forum where I didn't like at least two other members, usually more and I am pleased to be able to say that there have been many cases where that was mutual. If I seem antagonistic don't let that throw you off. It could be a debate tactic to either provoke an emotional response weakening my opponents, or the opposite desired effect of creating in the opponent the need to challenge me due to their disliking of me.

I used to post my real name, address and telephone number on my posts because atheists would criticize me for hiding behind anonymity. I've had atheist forum members mail me postcards from England, I've had believers and unbelievers call me on the telephone from around the U.S. and have had very pleasant conversations with them. I've also had death threats, cyber attacks and been banned from many forums. Sometimes justifiably so and sometimes not. On more than one occasion a dozen or so atheist members protesting my having been unfairly banned and even in one case following me to my own forum.

The thing about me is I am fair and I'm straight forward. I see my own flaws and the flaws in my belief system throughout it's history and I don't in any way try and cover that up or be oblivious to it.   

However, I didn't come here to exercise my formidable ego or play games. Nor did I come to make friends or enemies. Don't let my petty ego get in the way of a good discussion and if there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to ask. I may disagree strongly with you all and I may taunt you unmerciful but I hope to grow to respect and admire you aside from all of that. It isn't personal and consider the possibility that I see atheism itself as antagonizing. 

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »
Okay, this is probably not going to work, but I heard this crazy idea that to have a dialogue between two opposing groups you should start with where you agree and take it from there.
Fine - let's start from the places where theists and atheists agree - the most obvious being that if there are n purported gods, atheists do not believe in n gods while theists (if monotheist) do not believe in n-1 gods n-a small number gods (if not monotheistic). Given that there are thousands of purported gods this means that theists and atheists agree in their lack of believe in almost every god you can think of.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »
Sure. I care about what you believe.

Obviously not, otherwise you'd be finding out what it was, rather than making it up.

You don't care about what I believe.

There you go again. How do you know?

You guys know I'm just pullin' your chain, don't you?
However, I didn't come here to...play games.

Make up your mind.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 10:20:04 AM »
NTS

I don't see the contradiction in the 2 statements.

TS says he did not come here to play games - so that means that wasn't his intention when he joined.

That does not contradict his statement that in the to and fro of posting and responding he may in the moment post things to provoke either for amusement or to get a response or express his personality. Every poster on here is expressing their personality - it would be boring if they weren't. TS also says he has an ego - pretty much every poster on here seems to be the same.

I might not agree with some/ a lot of what TS says but I mostly find his style of writing enjoyable/ entertaining to read. I think there's a flow to it - kind of like a breeze has blown in.

ETA: After reading Susan's post I guess I should add that I don't buy into TS's view of himself as brilliant - but it's still a good read and lots of new info I did not know about the Bible.   
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:35:11 AM by Violent Gabriella »
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

SusanDoris

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 10:21:42 AM »
That is, according to the Word document I have copied this onto, 336 words. However, as the Cryptic crossword seems rather hard this weekend and I’ve decided not to do my up-and-down-the-Close walk, even though the sun is out, I’ll spend some time responding.
Do I seem a disagreeable antagonist to you, Susan? I don't think I've ever been on a forum where I didn't like at least two other members, usually more and I am pleased to be able to say that there have been many cases where that was mutual.
I think it is more a case that it sounds as if you are starting with attack and arrogance because you are accustomed to being responded to as most responses here have been, i.e. with logic and reason.
If I seem antagonistic don't let that throw you off. It could be a debate tactic to either provoke an emotional response weakening my opponents, or the opposite desired effect of creating in the opponent the need to challenge me due to their disliking of me.
That sounds as if you are placing yourself in a victim role. In other words you are not here for an interesting discussion regardless of whether there is agreement or not at the end of it,  but to win a battle. Why not try a change of tactics Give the members of the forum you have joined the benefit of any doubt you might have about them, and respond with a quiet confidence rather than an aggressive tone.
I’ve had atheist forum members mail me postcards from England, I've had believers and unbelievers call me on the telephone from around the U.S. and have had very pleasant conversations with them. I've also had death threats, cyber attacks and been banned from many forums.
then I would say that you give reading and posting far too important a place in your life. It is a hobby, not ‘real life’.
The thing about me is I am fair and I'm straight forward. I see my own flaws and the flaws in my belief system throughout it's history and I don't in any way try and cover that up or be oblivious to it.   
Straightforwardness is good and far better than sly hints and nudges which always reflect badly on the person, not the intended recipient, but I certainy don’t think your posts has shown much in the way of fairness so far.
I may disagree strongly with you all and I may taunt you unmerciful
Try expressing it not only firmly but with courtesy.
but I hope to grow to respect and admire you aside from all of that. It isn't personal and consider the possibility that I see atheism itself as antagonizing.
In my opinion, you have already made it personal, i.e. emphasising how brilliant you are, or rather believing that is what you are doing.  I think you are already finding that this is one forum where that doesn’t work. 
I will just point out that every word I ead or post I hear via Synthetic Dave, which is the best synthetic voice I have ever heard, since it sounds like someone speaking received pronunciation with equal pitch and tone for everything.

Edited to remove last sentences which I had not intended.
There are a couple of grammatical errors above, but I'm afraid I'm going to leave them there.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:32:36 AM by SusanDoris »