Author Topic: President Biden  (Read 20101 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: President Biden
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
Assuming that Trump hasn't set the explosives to demolish it at 23:59 19.01.2021!

And YES I do think that he is vindictive enough to do it!

Owlswing

)O(
just not competent enough

Owlswing

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2020, 07:34:44 PM »

just not competent enough

In which case maybe he'll blow his own arse off!

But maybe my luck just ain't that good!

Owlswing

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2020, 07:50:05 PM »
In which case maybe he'll blow his own arse off!

But maybe my luck just ain't that good!

Owlswing

)O(
Bigly arse

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 08:01:13 PM »
There is an an argument for Biden to pardon Trump for federal crimes, and look magnanimous, but see him tied up in States charges. That would be a real struggle to sell to many in the Dems but it could be a winning take.

Owlswing

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »

There is an argument for Biden to pardon Trump for federal crimes, and look magnanimous, but see him tied up in States charges. That would be a real struggle to sell to many in the Dems but it could be a winning take.

It seems that the Federal charges are those least likely to stick, and the most likely to be on-going until the next presidential election which, some are apparently suggesting (this from an American of my acquaintance) Trump will contest as he will probably not have been tried and convicted thanks to the manipulation of the evidence.

I truly hope this does not happen, his ego is big enough already.

Owlswing

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2020, 11:04:50 PM »
It seems that the Federal charges are those least likely to stick, and the most likely to be on-going until the next presidential election which, some are apparently suggesting (this from an American of my acquaintance) Trump will contest as he will probably not have been tried and convicted thanks to the manipulation of the evidence.

I truly hope this does not happen, his ego is big enough already.

Owlswing

)O(
That's the argument behind a  Biden pardon of Trump. It removes the politics and then means on State based  issues Trump will be tied up. The pardon cannot cover those.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:11:14 PM by Nearly Sane »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
There is an an argument for Biden to pardon Trump for federal crimes, and look magnanimous, but see him tied up in States charges. That would be a real struggle to sell to many in the Dems but it could be a winning take.

I think, for the sake of democracy in the US, Trump needs to be punished for anything criminal he did while in office. Pardoning him would send the message that presidents are above the law.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
I think, for the sake of democracy in the US, Trump needs to be punished for anything criminal he did while in office. Pardoning him would send the message that presidents are above the law.
There is precedent for it with Nixon.

Roses

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2020, 11:40:56 AM »
I don't know how factual they are, there are some reports that Trump is considering declaring martial law to prevent Biden taking over as president. :o I hope they are fake news, but where that ghastly man is concerned nothing would surprise me.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »
I don't know how factual they are, there are some reports that Trump is considering declaring martial law to prevent Biden taking over as president. :o I hope they are fake news, but where that ghastly man is concerned nothing would surprise me.

His former national security advisor has suggested it but it wouldn't work within the constitution and the US military swears allegiance to the constitution, rather than the head of state.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2020, 02:12:27 PM »
His former national security advisor has suggested it but it wouldn't work within the constitution and the US military swears allegiance to the constitution, rather than the head of state.
Let's just take a moment though to take in that his former national security advisor actually suggested it!

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Let's just take a moment though to take in that his former national security advisor actually suggested it!

And that said security advisor had to be pardoned by Trump to avoid a conviction. It somehow doesn't seem nearly as shocking as it should be, such is the madness of four years of the orange man-baby.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
And that said security advisor had to be pardoned by Trump to avoid a conviction. It somehow doesn't seem nearly as shocking as it should be, such is the madness of four years of the orange man-baby.
To an extent, I think that's a deliberate tactic.

Owlswing

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2020, 04:33:36 AM »

"Trump hands out pardons to aides caught in Mueller probe, Blackwater guards and Republican politicians" - this according to the Guardian (internet version)!

Is this the lot or just the beginning?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2020, 08:46:54 AM »
"Trump hands out pardons to aides caught in Mueller probe, Blackwater guards and Republican politicians" - this according to the Guardian (internet version)!

Is this the lot or just the beginning?
just the beginning, I would suspect

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2020, 07:12:14 PM »
There is precedent for it with Nixon.
Ford had previously been Nixon's VP and his pardoning Nixon was held by some as the reason why he failed to win the presidency in 1976.

Also, I think Trump has been far more damaging for US democracy than Nixon.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2020, 07:26:43 PM »
Ford had previously been Nixon's VP and his pardoning Nixon was held by some as the reason why he failed to win the presidency in 1976.

Also, I think Trump has been far more damaging for US democracy than Nixon.

Though Nixon had already been impeached, and resigned, and would definitely have been in a criminal federal trial.

I think it's difficult to compare Trump and Nixon's actions but Nixon approved breaking into the Democrat's office. That's tangible.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2020, 01:10:37 PM »
https://www.salon.com/2020/12/26/lost-in-the-middle-will-the-arrogant-certainty-of-centrism-destroy-america/

An interesting piece on the challenges that a Biden presidency faces if it continues on its current trajectory.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
Why are they holding a public inauguration? Surely for Biden to say 'Stay Home! I'll be inaugurated on TV, and get straight to work', would have been the right message?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 11:19:35 AM by Nearly Sane »

Roses

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2021, 03:50:06 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55709740

The US Capitol is in lockdown  due to a security threat.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:54:43 PM by Littleroses »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55709740

The US Capitol is in lockdown  due to a security threat.
Very worrying, underlines to me why the inauguration should be done privately

Roses

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2021, 04:17:49 PM »

I agree as we live in such unusual times due to Covid and the rabid Trump supporters.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2021, 04:31:39 PM »
I agree as we live in such unusual times due to Covid and the rabid Trump supporters.
It would give out the right message about Covid and then mean any large groups would be suspect.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2021, 11:37:04 PM »
As I suggested a week or two ago: do it indoors with the bare minimum of essential people present, and televise it.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Owlswing

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2021, 12:18:56 AM »

All the comments above have their merits, but really onl;y if you look at the situation from the viewpoint of a population on THIS side of the Oggin!

We are not Americans and Americans see just about everyting from within a bubble that stops at their borders!

When it come to politics the more nonsensical we see it, the greater the American view of it as normal and sensible!

TheY only learn when it is too late - see 06.01.2021 Washington!

Owlswing

)O(