Author Topic: President Biden  (Read 20079 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: President Biden
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2021, 06:55:41 AM »
All the comments above have their merits, but really onl;y if you look at the situation from the viewpoint of a population on THIS side of the Oggin!

We are not Americans and Americans see just about everyting from within a bubble that stops at their borders!

When it come to politics the more nonsensical we see it, the greater the American view of it as normal and sensible!

TheY only learn when it is too late - see 06.01.2021 Washington!

Owlswing

)O(

This is a gross misrepresentation of a large number of American citizens many of whom see the last four year as just as "nonsensical" as we do.

There are many, many fine, decent thoughtful Americans who knew that Trump was a dangerous, deluded man. In fact so many, that the majority voted against him, even in 2016.

As to a bubble stopping at the border, in the land of Brexit the grim irony of that statement raised a smile.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »
This is a gross misrepresentation of a large number of American citizens many of whom see the last four year as just as "nonsensical" as we do.

There are many, many fine, decent thoughtful Americans who knew that Trump was a dangerous, deluded man. In fact so many, that the majority voted against him, even in 2016.

As to a bubble stopping at the border, in the land of Brexit the grim irony of that statement raised a smile.
The idea that a country of 330M people is just a homogenous mass is really odd. At the very least it's obvious that there is a very central split in their views but as with so many of such splits, it's a mistake to see each side as uniform. Politicak groups are fractally divided.

As it happens it was a rant from an American friend about the inauguration that prompted me to put up the comment yesterday. They were annoyed at the messaging about Covid. That said another American friend on the same 'side' was vehemently disagreeing because they saw it as 'giving in to the terrorism' of the alt right.

On Channel 4 news last night, Gary Gibbon mentioned a recent survey about what Americans saw as the biggest threat to the USA, and for 55%, it was other Americans.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 11:28:46 AM »

Owlswing

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2021, 12:12:05 PM »
The idea that a country of 330M people is just a homogenous mass is really odd. At the very least it's obvious that there is a very central split in their views but as with so many of such splits, it's a mistake to see each side as uniform. Politicak groups are fractally divided.

As it happens it was a rant from an American friend about the inauguration that prompted me to put up the comment yesterday. They were annoyed at the messaging about Covid. That said another American friend on the same 'side' was vehemently disagreeing because they saw it as 'giving in to the terrorism' of the alt right.

On Channel 4 news last night, Gary Gibbon mentioned a recent survey about what Americans saw as the biggest threat to the USA, and for 55%, it was other Americans.

I cannot dispute the wisdom of your words (and Trent's).

I see verry little in the way of News from the other side of the Oggin as I feel that the news from within the U K is bad enough without adding that from a country that seems to think it has the right to dictate to anyone who disagrees with it, regardless of either subject of the knowledge of the person quoted.

OK OK OK I am NOT, by a million miles a fan of ANY politician, regardless of race, creed, or political alignment, but the American ones seem to me (a personal opinion, no more) to be the most deluded and misguided ever, some of the demonstrating that they still seem to think that they are fighting the Civil War and wishing for the return of slavery - though, of course, they do not call it that!

Owlswing

)O(

APOLOGIES TO ANY AND ALL THAT THE ABOVE OFFENDS TO ANY DEGREE WHATSOEVER!

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »
From the Daily Telegraph today

"Biden's great, great, great grandfather, Edward Blewitt, left Ballina, co Mayo, Ireland for America during the Irish famine 170 years ago, which could mean he is well disposed towards Great Britain."

Ha ha ha ha!

https://youtu.be/XsoHAwuQ73g
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:03:25 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2021, 05:03:00 PM »
Updated title

Roses

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2021, 05:05:10 PM »
Jolly good. We watched the inauguration.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2021, 07:29:50 PM »
Good to see the three surviving former preseidents going to Arlington with Biden, to lay the wreath. A pity Jimmy Carter's too frail, and the spoilt child doesn't count.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2021, 07:57:27 PM »
Elsewhere I was wondering if Biden's tactic will be somewhat like Old King Log from the fable. That doing as little as possible might work. Just as Robert Graves had Claudius think that it was the best thing to reduce the toxins in the swamp, perhaps that is the most healing thing. Of course, Claudius was followed by Nero.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2021, 02:00:17 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »

SusanDoris

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2021, 03:44:06 PM »
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »
May I ask for a brief description, please?
The link covers details of what busts have been put in such as Rosa Parks, Cesar Chavez, Jefferson.

Visually it's a little less gaudy but it's the Oval Office so that's a relative statement. It feels as more of a working environment but that may just be my  bias showing.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2021, 04:14:04 PM »
Yesterday one of executive orders Biden signed was the 'Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation', (details in link below). I support quite a lot of it though I think it is, as is the nature of such, very loosely phrased. It does, however, have a number issues for women's sex based rights and safe spaces.

It doesn't apply to states but federal agencies have a huge remit. No doubt much of any applications might be challenged in the courts. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-preventing-and-combating-discrimination-on-basis-of-gender-identity-or-sexual-orientatio

SusanDoris

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2021, 04:43:11 PM »
The link covers details of what busts have been put in such as Rosa Parks, Cesar Chavez, Jefferson.

Visually it's a little less gaudy but it's the Oval Office so that's a relative statement. It feels as more of a working environment but that may just be my  bias showing.
Thank you.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Roses

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »
Biden seems to have hit the ground running, by overturning a lot of Trump's badly thought out policies.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »

Robbie

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2021, 10:35:19 PM »
It is disappointing.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2021, 10:35:28 PM »
From Twitter

President Biden has removed the Diet Coke button. When

@ShippersUnbound

and I interviewed Donald Trump in 2019, we became fascinated by what the little red button did. Eventually Trump pressed it, and a butler swiftly brought in a Diet Coke on a silver platter. It's gone now.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2021, 10:58:26 PM »
From Twitter

President Biden has removed the Diet Coke button. When

@ShippersUnbound

and I interviewed Donald Trump in 2019, we became fascinated by what the little red button did. Eventually Trump pressed it, and a butler swiftly brought in a Diet Coke on a silver platter. It's gone now.
"That button gets me a diet coke, and that one launches a nuclear holocaust - or is it the other way round? Hang on, I'll check." (Presses button.)
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2021, 11:42:02 AM »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »
Here's a thought: if a President-elect had a conscientious objection to swearing oaths, as many people do (including me - on the two or three occasions I've been a witness in court, I've affirmed, and after all, the very bible Christian Presidents swear on forbids the swearing of oaths) would s/he be allowed to affirm at their inauguration?
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2021, 12:20:38 PM »
Here's a thought: if a President-elect had a conscientious objection to swearing oaths, as many people do (including me - on the two or three occasions I've been a witness in court, I've affirmed, and after all, the very bible Christian Presidents swear on forbids the swearing of oaths) would s/he be allowed to affirm at their inauguration?
Franklin Pierce and Teddy Roosevelt did not swear on Bibles at their inaugurations, so yes. It isn't a constitutional requirement.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:23:41 PM by Nearly Sane »

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »
A stark warning for the new president:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5TYJxj-2tQ
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Roses

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »
Politics and religion don't mix. The Biblical god character is a psycho if the deeds attributed to it were true.