Author Topic: Call The Midwife  (Read 720 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Call The Midwife
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:29:01 PM »
Started watching this from the start for a variety of reasons. It really is rather well done.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Call The Midwife
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 05:36:47 PM »
Indeed. Somewhat sentimental, but it doesn't avoid the grimmer side of things, and they don't always turn out for the best. It covers rape, domestic abuse, alcoholism, the thalidomide disaster, and other things.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:09:26 PM »
Lovely to see a variety of women of different ages as leads.

Robbie

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 08:12:03 PM »
I've watched every episode from the start and some twice. I haven't found it sentimental, it's gritty. As well as all the issues Isambard mentioned - the "many other things", there have been two episodes focussing on male homosexual characters at a time when it was illegal to be so and two of the nurses are lesbian. People with mental illnesses and some with mental impairment (learning difficulties), are shown and how society dealt with that. Fall out from the workhouse era. Racism of course.

My mother-in-law was a young district midwife at the time some of this programme is set, shared a house with other midwives and worked with a few nuns. She was in a deprived area (not Poplar), and tells me how realistic it all is. Earlier on the character of Jenny Lee, played by Verity Lambert, reminded me very much of her when she was young from what I have seen in photographs and the voice of Vanessa Redgrave, who is 'Jenny Lee' as an elderly person, sounds like she does now!

I never tire of the programme & have read the books by Jennifer Worth on which it is based.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »
I think it cleverly mixes a soupçon of schmaltz with quite a lot of grit.it's a sort of distaff version of All Creatures Great and Small, though much more obviously talking about the issues. I had worried that there might be an excess of talking about religion but  it fits, as it's obviously based on the Worth's thoughts and beliefs.

Roses

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
We have watched the series from the beginning and thoroughly enjoy it. :)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Robbie

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 09:26:37 PM »
New series starts on 20th Dec.

I expect there will be a Christmas special, I hope that's good, some have been.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 08:55:03 PM »
Brilliant episode tonight.

Robbie

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »
It was.

I'm currently watching 'Call the midwife: the casebook', with Stephen McGann. It's very interesting.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:32:35 PM »
It was.

I'm currently watching 'Call the midwife: the casebook', with Stephen McGann. It's very interesting.
His book Flesh and Blood is very good

Robbie

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 12:45:03 AM »
Was good tonight/last night but there wasn't enough of it, at the end I wanted more. Usually the one hour programme seems to last a lot longer. Could just be me I suppose, was out earlier & watched on iplayer when I came in.

The poor woman with myeloid leukaemia died in no time, I didn't know it happened that quickly. was a shock.

No romance on the cards with Trixie and the gynaecologist.

I wonder where we'll go with the homeless people, hope that issue continues to be raised in other episodes.