Author Topic: Skekling  (Read 1048 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Owlswing

Re: Skekling
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »

Fascinating stuff

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/intriguing-and-unsettling-scottish-island-tradition-skekling-3060580

Interesting.

It demonstrates the way in which various non-Christian events are labelled Pagan. As it appears that all the participants shown are over about five years old the statement that:

Quote:

Skekling was a Pagan custom when people hoped their rituals would bring the sun back from the grip of winter and ensure good crops, according to an account of the custom.

Unquote

would appear to be inaccurate as anyone over that age could be expected to know that Spring followed Winter even if no-one did anything to help the process. The labelling appears to be made as the ritual was not of Christian origin or intent it automatically attracted the label.

From what I was taught the Pagan label was applied here purely on the basis of no apparent Christina content or intent.

This does not, of course, detract from it being an interesting addition to the folklore of the islands and a demonstration of the wish to be rid of a period that was far worse in the Shetlands than further South.

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 01:19:14 PM »
Interesting.

It demonstrates the way in which various non-Christian events are labelled Pagan. As it appears that all the participants shown are over about five years old the statement that:

Quote:

Skekling was a Pagan custom when people hoped their rituals would bring the sun back from the grip of winter and ensure good crops, according to an account of the custom.

Unquote

would appear to be inaccurate as anyone over that age could be expected to know that Spring followed Winter even if no-one did anything to help the process. The labelling appears to be made as the ritual was not of Christian origin or intent it automatically attracted the label.

From what I was taught the Pagan label was applied here purely on the basis of no apparent Christina content or intent.

This does not, of course, detract from it being an interesting addition to the folklore of the islands and a demonstration of the wish to be rid of a period that was far worse in the Shetlands than further South.

Owlswing

)O(

I was using pretty much the idea that paganism is what exists outside of the main religions rather than just Christianity. From your claims made previously that the Venus of Willendorf was pagan I would have thought you would need to follow a similar approach?

As to the skekling itself, I think it's possible to both understand that spring will return and believe in the power of the ritual. As a species we do a lot of 'magical thinking' and follow rituals of good luck charms. I suspect much of that is driven by a need to feel in control.

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »

I was using pretty much the idea that paganism is what exists outside of the main religions rather than just Christianity. From your claims made previously that the Venus of Willendorf was pagan, I would have thought you would need to follow a similar approach?

As to the skekling itself, I think it's possible to both understand that spring will return and believe in the power of the ritual. As a species, we do a lot of 'magical thinking' and follow rituals of good luck charms. I suspect much of that is driven by a need to feel in control.

My full apologies.

I know that my 'Pagan' skin can at times be far too thin for my own good! I was in a touchy mood at the time due to something personal emanating from my Ex!

You are correct.

Owlswing

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »
My full apologies.

I know that my 'Pagan' skin can at times be far too thin for my own good! I was in a touchy mood at the time due to something personal emanating from my Ex!

You are correct.

Owlswing

)O(
No need for apologies but thank you for them.

I think we tend in out modern world to look on rituals like skekling as somehow very backward while ignoring our own rituals. Only a couple of days ago, I carried out my yearly ritual of buying the Christmas Radio Times and circling programmes. Over the years, it has lost some of its power, first with video recorders, now with iPlayer and streaming, but I still do it. In fact I still do it even when I am planning to be out of the country for most of the time covered.

I recently had a discussion elsewhere with someone where they said they were 45, had 3 kids, a degree, and a Ph.D in chemistry but they still got antsy if they saw only 1 magpie. These approaches are part of our make up.