Author Topic: Happy Saturnalia  (Read 1001 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Happy Saturnalia
« on: December 18, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »

Owlswing

Re: Happy Saturnalia
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 12:13:25 PM »

A nice little article on Saturnalia

http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/the-wild-holiday-that-turned-ancient-rome-upside-down/

Another pagan festival (forcibly) replaced by Christmas!

Owlswing

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »
Another pagan festival (forcibly) replaced by Christmas!

Owlswing

)O(
I would suggest that it's more complex than that. A mid winter festival in the Northern Hemisphere is very common for obvious reasons. And the Christians would be just as likely to want to celebrate it. The oppression of paganism in this sense, i.e. Roman pantheon, was patchy, and it seems more likely that the 'cultural appropriation' here is more based around trying to win over pagans rather than force.

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:56:10 PM »

I would suggest that it's more complex than that. A mid-winter festival in the Northern Hemisphere is very common for obvious reasons. And the Christians would be just as likely to want to celebrate it. The oppression of paganism in this sense, i.e. Roman pantheon, was patchy, and it seems more likely that the 'cultural appropriation' here is more based around trying to win over pagans rather than force.

This one was intended to be tongue in cheek!

. . . trying to win over pagans rather than force.

stuck a cord. It reminded me of a Kent church in which I was shown a small carved mouse on the back of the bench upon which the choir would sit during service.

It seemed to be nothing special  until it was explained that it was a reminder from the carpenter that made the bench that the site had been the old pagan gathering site.

The early Chritians built many churches on such sites and moved many festivals to cover pagan fetivals, it was a conflict that Paganism lost and continued to lose until the 1960's re-discovery of the Craft at the hands of Gerald Gardner.

The frequent misquotes about anything pagan sometimes touches a nerve, sometimes we, pagans, jump before the pin actually gets stuck in us. We are, regretably, only human!

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 09:11:28 AM »
This one was intended to be tongue in cheek!

stuck a cord. It reminded me of a Kent church in which I was shown a small carved mouse on the back of the bench upon which the choir would sit during service.

It seemed to be nothing special  until it was explained that it was a reminder from the carpenter that made the bench that the site had been the old pagan gathering site.

The early Chritians built many churches on such sites and moved many festivals to cover pagan fetivals, it was a conflict that Paganism lost and continued to lose until the 1960's re-discovery of the Craft at the hands of Gerald Gardner.

The frequent misquotes about anything pagan sometimes touches a nerve, sometimes we, pagans, jump before the pin actually gets stuck in us. We are, regretably, only human!

Owlswing

)O(

No problem, we all misread things, as I obviously dod to you on this.

It seems to me that Christianity was, in part, successful because of its adaptability and its use of cultural appropriation of rituals, and beliefs. I don't think this was so much a deliberate policy so much as a subsumption of the ancient Roman general approach to local religions. In that sense, given the Roman pantheon as opposed to Christianity being the original application of the term paganism, the roots of the Christian church in Rome is based on paganism.