Author Topic: Grenfell - the slow rotting scandal  (Read 1452 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Grenfell - the slow rotting scandal
« on: December 24, 2020, 09:14:43 AM »
I thought about resurrecting one of the earlier threads on this but I think it deserves something fresh amid the sickly sweet smell of incompetence and corruption.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55349395

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

The Accountant, OBE, KC

Re: Grenfell - the slow rotting scandal
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 05:32:30 PM »
I thought about resurrecting one of the earlier threads on this but I think it deserves something fresh amid the sickly sweet smell of incompetence and corruption.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55349395
After reading this I can understand why there is so much distrust of the Coronavirus vaccine. The sheer dishonesty and incompetence and lack of care is shocking.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:46:08 AM »
The pusillanimous Tories continue the ongoing scandal on this. Years after Grenfell the lack of action on this is damning.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/tory-mps-abstain-in-flammable-cladding-vote/ar-BB1dipvn

Roses

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 02:30:41 PM »
A sister of mine and her husband have been trying to sell their second apartment in a tower block by the coast in Portsmouth as they have moved to be nearer their son. They had a buyer until they pulled out as no fire safety certificate was available. When they sold their first apartment a couple of years back one wasn't needed. 
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 02:51:47 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/29/leaseholders-horrified-after-final-vote-on-10bn-fire-safety-costs

So an update on this. Even though the PM said leaseholders should not bear the costs involved, they are in fact going to bear the costs involved. A disgraceful failure by this government when it has put its mates in construction ahead of ordinary householders. They should hang their heads in shame. Unfortunately they don't know what shame is.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:55:55 PM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Robbie

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 06:44:33 PM »
I agree Trent, it's scandalous.

Just saw two quite young people who own flats, they are pretty stuck. One was an engineer and said she knew how to get out, how to get on to someone else's balcony, in a hurry, but who wants to live in fear? We hope such a thing won't happen again - but it might.

In their position I think I would let my flat (at tenant's own risk of course, wouldn't try to hide anything), maybe short term lets, enough to cover the expenses,and move somewhere else that's safe. That's all hypothetical, I'm glad not to be in that position.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 11:54:40 PM »
Boris Johnson pulled strings to replace furniture..... votes against removing cladding.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 09:36:10 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/29/leaseholders-horrified-after-final-vote-on-10bn-fire-safety-costs

So an update on this. Even though the PM said leaseholders should not bear the costs involved, they are in fact going to bear the costs involved. A disgraceful failure by this government when it has put its mates in construction ahead of ordinary householders. They should hang their heads in shame. Unfortunately they don't know what shame is.

I really don't understand this. The people that should be paying for the fire safety improvements are the people who failed to do the job properly in the first place. It's obvious isn't it? The only excuse for not paying should be being in prison for endangering people's lives.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 09:41:18 AM »
I really don't understand this. The people that should be paying for the fire safety improvements are the people who failed to do the job properly in the first place. It's obvious isn't it? The only excuse for not paying should be being in prison for endangering people's lives.

You would have thought so. How anyone could vote against it, or abstain as some Labour members in the Hol's did, is beyond me.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 01:26:36 PM »
How anyone could vote against it, or abstain as some Labour members in the Hol's did, is beyond me.

There is one way: if you or your mates were in the frame for having to stump up the money.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Owlswing

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 09:29:39 PM »

I've never noticed any politician of any party wearing a halo and I do not see the possibility anywhere in my lifetime!

Owlswing

)o(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 09:36:46 PM »
I've never noticed any politician of any party wearing a halo and I do not see the possibility anywhere in my lifetime!

Owlswing

)o(
Expecting politicians to have a halo is part of the problem. Why do a job where that's an expectation?  Do you know anyone perfect?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2022, 06:20:20 PM »
5 years of a dreadful tragic farce.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2023, 11:31:14 AM »
And 6 years of nothing

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2023, 11:34:33 AM »
And 6 years of nothing

Were we expecting something?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2023, 01:11:28 AM »
Not really but it shows what a worthless piece of shite the govt is and every one who has voted for them

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 07:41:25 AM »
Not really but it shows what a worthless piece of shite the govt is and every one who has voted for them
Wow. Everybody who has voted Conservative is a worthless piece of shit now.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2023, 08:47:55 AM »
Wow. Everybody who has voted Conservative is a worthless piece of shit now.
It's called hyperbole

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2023, 09:57:56 AM »
It's called hyperbole
But it doesn’t really advance the discussion, does it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2023, 10:29:45 AM »
But it doesn’t really advance the discussion, does it.
No, it doesn't, it was an expression of anger agsinst the inaction.

For the record, some of my best friends are Tories, though thet have nothing but loathing for the party in govt.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2023, 11:18:06 AM »
No, it doesn't, it was an expression of anger agsinst the inaction.
Yes but it is the government that is not acting - or rather: acting incompetently.
For the record, some of my best friends are Tories, though thet have nothing but loathing for the party in govt.
My parents would fit that description (of being Tories but loathing the current government, not being your best friends).

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2023, 11:26:35 AM »
Yes but it is the government that is not acting - or rather: acting incompetently.My parents would fit that description (of being Tories but loathing the current government, not being your best friends).
Send them my best wishes