Author Topic: Mars landing and 7 minutes of terror  (Read 4055 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Mars landing and 7 minutes of terror
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:04:39 PM »
I hope it goes well - I'm a sucker for space stuff.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 08:59:11 PM »
Landed successfully!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:36:27 PM »
 Watched it.
Incredible feat of technology.
I remember watching the Viking landers - at the time the ultimate example of space tech. How far we've come.
The concept of the tiny space helicopter seems mind boggling.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:49:45 AM »
It is incredible what modern technology can achieve.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

BeRational

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 12:25:59 AM »
Fantastic stuff,  I love this sort of thing.

Not sure why they describe it as terror though!

If you were sat in it hoping to land that would be different!
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 04:48:40 AM »

Frankly I don't see what the big deal is about the Rover landing.  Ok....good technology and all that..... That is fine.

But what does it all mean and why are they wasting so much money and time on this? We put a man on the moon in 1969... more than 50 years ago...and what has been the benefit?

We have a natural urge to keep moving (animals do that all the time) and discovering new habitats as a part of our survival strategy. We are however allowing this urge to take us too far.

We are never going to colonize the Moon or Mars even in the far future. Face it!  We have evolved on earth over 4 billion years and cannot live anywhere outside the earth's protective environment.

The urge to run away to other habitats has made us indifferent to our own planet which is why we are facing so many problems here. 

https://tsriramrao.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/space-explorati/

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »

Frankly I don't see what the big deal is about the Rover landing.  Ok....good technology and all that..... That is fine.

But what does it all mean and why are they wasting so much money and time on this? We put a man on the moon in 1969... more than 50 years ago...and what has been the benefit?

We have a natural urge to keep moving (animals do that all the time) and discovering new habitats as a part of our survival strategy. We are however allowing this urge to take us too far.

We are never going to colonize the Moon or Mars even in the far future. Face it!  We have evolved on earth over 4 billion years and cannot live anywhere outside the earth's protective environment.

The urge to run away to other habitats has made us indifferent to our own planet which is why we are facing so many problems here. 

https://tsriramrao.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/space-explorati/
Here's NASA's take on the benefits.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Benefits-Stemming-from-Space-Exploration-2013-TAGGED.pdf

That took around 5 seconds to find. Why don't you do a bit of research yourself.
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »
Apparently the main aim of this incredible feat of technology is to discover signs of life where water once existed.  How  much time, effort and expense will be needed to discover that you need more than just the presence of basic ingredients for life to come into existence?
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 12:52:41 PM »
Apparently the main aim of this incredible feat of technology is to discover signs of life where water once existed.  How  much time, effort and expense will be needed to discover that you need more than just the presence of basic ingredients for life to come into existence?
Drivel

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 01:06:10 PM »
Here's NASA's take on the benefits.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Benefits-Stemming-from-Space-Exploration-2013-TAGGED.pdf

That took around 5 seconds to find. Why don't you do a bit of research yourself.

These are banal arguments. There have been many spin-off benefits from the world wars too.  Should we therefore have a few more world wars?!! ::)

SusanDoris

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 01:35:35 PM »
Trivial, trite, cloyingly saccharine nonsense. And you absolutely cannot demonstrate otherwise.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 03:44:35 PM »

Don't be silly: if this mission does confirm that life did exist on Mars then a reasonable assumption is that Mars once also had sufficient 'basic ingredients', and that life is not confined to this planet. If these 'basic ingredients' are sufficient to get life going on two different planets then 'more' is clearly not essential (whatever 'more' actually means).   

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 06:41:02 AM »
Don't be silly: if this mission does confirm that life did exist on Mars then a reasonable assumption is that Mars once also had sufficient 'basic ingredients', and that life is not confined to this planet. If these 'basic ingredients' are sufficient to get life going on two different planets then 'more' is clearly not essential (whatever 'more' actually means).

But....if the basic ingredients for life have been present on Mars for billions of years....but  life has not formed at all (even simple organisms), then it shows that there is something special about the earth where life has not just formed but has evolved into such complex organisms.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 07:13:06 AM »

But....if the basic ingredients for life have been present on Mars for billions of years....but  life has not formed at all (even simple organisms), then it shows that there is something special about the earth where life has not just formed but has evolved into such complex organisms.

It will be interesting to see whether or not this mission finds evidence that life did once exist on Mars: if not, I wouldn't describe Earth as being 'special' and it is perhaps more the case that conditions here were sufficiently different to those on Mars for abiogenesis to happen here, leading to evolution, and not there. Or it could even be that abiogenesis did originate on Mars but that conditions there then changed to become hostile to life.

We'll just have to wait to see what evidence is discovered - it's fascinating no matter what they find (or don't).

Roses

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 11:33:33 AM »
I own an acre plot of land on Mars, it would be very interesting to know what it looks like. My darling children are planning to send me on a visit there but apologise because they will only be able to afford a one way trip. ;D 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:35:34 AM by Littleroses »

BeRational

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
Actually it shows with the complexity of landing of this lander how difficult it it be to land something heavy enough to carry humans.

Parachutes will probably not be enough due to the thin atmosphere, and carrying enough fuel for retro rockets all seem a massive problem.

It will be interesting to see the solution.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 02:29:46 PM »

But what is the point of putting a man on Mars with all its dangers and risks? 

Sending probes at least makes some sense in terms of getting some idea of what is there....though it could easily become an obsessive 'need to know'.  But putting a man there is meaningless.

If its just a silly sense of achievement and triumph...planting a flag etc....that is clearly nonsense!  En masse colonization (running away) is obviously out of the question.

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 02:31:28 PM »

These are banal arguments. There have been many spin-off benefits from the world wars too.  Should we therefore have a few more world wars?!! ::)
Such a banal argument
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Roses

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 02:35:23 PM »

But what is the point of putting a man on Mars with all its dangers and risks? 

Sending probes at least makes some sense in terms of getting some idea of what is there....though it could easily become an obsessive 'need to know'.  But putting a man there is meaningless.

If its just a silly sense of achievement and triumph...planting a flag etc....that is clearly nonsense!  En masse colonization (running away) is obviously out of the question.

In your opinion. Who knows what might happen in the future?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 07:27:01 AM »

Obviously...it is my opinion!

And...we do know what will happen in the future....  Global warming, arctic ice melting, sea level rise, food crisis, massive extinction of species....maybe many more pandemics...

And Mars is not the answer to any of these...

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 03:24:31 PM »

Obviously...it is my opinion!

And...we do know what will happen in the future....  Global warming, arctic ice melting, sea level rise, food crisis, massive extinction of species....maybe many more pandemics...

And Mars is not the answer to any of these...

.....nor are cricket, kabaddi, yoga or meditation.
Should they be abandoned?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Roses

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 03:38:33 PM »

Cricket and kabaddi most certainly. Cricket is much more boring than watching paint dry. ::) I think all contact sports like kabaddi are dangerous.

SusanDoris

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 03:42:59 PM »

Maybe they 'should', but I think, on the whole, bearing in mind what has been discovered while looking for other things, etc, I personally come down on the no, they should not be abandoned.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 08:21:01 PM »
Newly released video of the landing from on-board cameras.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-56159376