Author Topic: A critique of 'Trumpian evangelicalism'  (Read 1435 times)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
A critique of 'Trumpian evangelicalism'
« on: March 02, 2021, 09:30:50 AM »
      I was in two minds as to where to post this, so, mods, please feel free to move it. It's a very thoughtful, well written piece from a committed Christian in America, examining the politicisation and anti- Christianisation of certain aspects of right wing US evangelicalism. https://time.com/5942445/reform-evangelical-christianity/
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

Re: A critique of 'Trumpian evangelicalism'
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »
Pentecostalism spoilt my childhood, which would have been pleasant if an extremist form of god hadn't been forced down my throat! >:( It was interesting to read this chap's views on the topic. I am surprised though that he still considers himself a member of that brand of Christianity even if he doesn't share their white supremacist take on it. What I don't get is why those unpleasant 'Christians' think having a white skin is superior, Jesus was Middle Eastern and therefore his skin colour would have reflected his origin.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 04:23:03 PM »
Pentecostalism spoilt my childhood, which would have been pleasant if an extremist form of god hadn't been forced down my throat! >:( It was interesting to read this chap's views on the topic. I am surprised though that he still considers himself a member of that brand of Christianity even if he doesn't share their white supremacist take on it. What I don't get is why those unpleasant 'Christians' think having a white skin is superior, Jesus was Middle Eastern and therefore his skin colour would have reflected his origin.
Lumping all branches of Pentecostalism together is simply wrong, unles you have, if fact, explored them all?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 04:43:55 PM »
Lumping all branches of Pentecostalism together is simply wrong, unles you have, if fact, explored them all?

Doesn't all pentecostalism involve the, 'you must be saved or else', garbage?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »
I know of no Christian Church which does not espouse salvation as the core of its' doctrine.

Roses

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 06:18:10 PM »
I know of no Christian Church which does not espouse salvation as the core of its' doctrine.

The pentecostalists believe in, 'get saved or burn in hell', more moderate Christian churches don't espouse that nastiness.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »
The pentecostalists believe in, 'get saved or burn in hell', more moderate Christian churches don't espouse that nastiness.

I've never heard of any Christian Church, be it RC, Orthodox, Anglican, Presbyterian or whatever, which does not accept the doctrine of Salvation through Christ.
Perhaps you could enlighten me, then get back to the O/P?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 09:48:56 AM »
I was brought up a Christian - a CofE one - and the aspects of Christianity that my elders and betters used to emphasise could be summarised by the "Love God and love your neighbour" trope. Since Jesus said these are the greatest commandments, I wonder where the evangelicals who support Trump get their ideas from. Would Jesus have been happy to see children being put in cages or people in need being turned away at the border or the refusal to provide healthcare for everybody whilst insisting that everybody be allowed to carry a gun to increase the likelihood that others will need that healthcare.

How do these people square their political beliefs with their faith?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »

Wee point; I used to attend a pentecostal assembly prayer and worship sessdion weekly...in six or so years, I never had hellfire and damnatiion rammed down my throat - had I experienced this, I'd have left, wiping the dust from my shoes.
I was introduced to the particular assembly by a Church of Scotland minister, and we found little that did not accord with stahndard Christian doctrine.
Even the Charism are not exclusively pentecostal.
I'd probably still be goiung there occasionally if I could get transport.

Roses

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 11:21:35 AM »

Wee point; I used to attend a pentecostal assembly prayer and worship sessdion weekly...in six or so years, I never had hellfire and damnatiion rammed down my throat - had I experienced this, I'd have left, wiping the dust from my shoes.
I was introduced to the particular assembly by a Church of Scotland minister, and we found little that did not accord with stahndard Christian doctrine.
Even the Charism are not exclusively pentecostal.
I'd probably still be goiung there occasionally if I could get transport.

Well you were fortunate, Sunday after Sunday the pastors of the Elim pentecostal church I had to attend as a child rammed home the, 'get saved or burn in hell', unpleasant nonsense. This is still being preached today in some of the more extreme churches.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 11:07:43 AM »
Trumpian evangelicanism like all things Trump is mostly White. Trumpian churches are focussed on by themselves and the mediato the exclusion of episcopalian, methodist and predominently African american congregations, because they are controversial, right wing and whackily entertaining.

Roses

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 11:11:13 AM »
Trumpian evangelicanism like all things Trump is mostly White. Trumpian churches are focussed on by themselves and the mediato the exclusion of episcopalian, methodist and predominently African american congregations, because they are controversial, right wing and whackily entertaining.

There is nothing entertaining about the unpleasant garbage they spout, it damages the minds of the people who believe it to be true. >:(

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 12:09:49 PM »
There is nothing entertaining about the unpleasant garbage they spout, it damages the minds of the people who believe it to be true. >:(
Obviously if people are tuning in to see the whacky exploits of Paula White that must be.
I think what we have in the pentecostal movement is an appeal to what are known as kinaesthetic people i.e. people who are stimulated by music and movement. They need there senses titillated by holy rolling, signs and wonders shouting a lot, making scenes, driving around, handling guns, attending rallies, fights and arguments. Something has to be going down hence QAnon , Trump.
And if you are feeling lazy or are physically incapable of this then it's all on TV and the internet.

Alternative ways of expressing faith are available.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 06:53:48 PM »
Obviously if people are tuning in to see the whacky exploits of Paula White that must be. I think what we have in the pentecostal movement is an appeal to what are known as kinaesthetic people i.e. people who are stimulated by music and movement. They need there senses titillated by holy rolling, signs and wonders shouting a lot, making scenes, driving around, handling guns, attending rallies, fights and arguments. Something has to be going down hence QAnon , Trump. And if you are feeling lazy or are physically incapable of this then it's all on TV and the internet. Alternative ways of expressing faith are available.

Alternative versions of pentecostalism are also available. The church I visited, mainly for worship, prayer and Bible Study, was'Pentecostal' in that it concentrated on the third Person of the Trinity and His gifts and actions, but not to the exclusion of Bible study, in-depth ecumenical groupings, action aid in this nation and overseas (Mainly through Tear Fund and the Scottish childrens Gospice association) Yes, there was a praise band, and full use of the charisma in worship, but the sense of evangelism with a social conscience was also pervasive, and still is.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 07:18:24 PM by Nearly Sane »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »
Apparently the latest from Trumpian evangelicalism is that there will be a great revival in the US shortly with 50 million souls converting according to Hank Kunnemans a Trumpian evangelical ''prophet'' prophesying on The Victory Channel.

Here's the thing though...according to Kunnemans they will be non Christian Trump supporters who will come together with Christian trump supporters in a unification between Trumpian politics and Christianity.

Such is the level of penetration of the Mango Mussolini into american theology.