Author Topic: Photos about the impermanence of things  (Read 542 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

BeRational

Re: Photos about the impermanence of things
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 09:08:05 AM »
I agree it is sad to see
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 09:48:56 AM »
Spent a couple of days in Brighton and Worthing at the end of 2018 to revisit the sites of our family holidays 1965-1975.

Brooklands park has had it's glorious miniature railway and multilevel animal shaped paddling pools removed and now looks''natural'' and overgrown while imaginatively renamed an environmental pond and park.

Strode across Brighton to find the magnificent 1930's supercinema, the Astoria where we had watched ''The Towering Inferno'' in 1975 on the biggest screen I ever sat in front.

Sadly it had been knocked down a only few weeks before.

Roses

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 11:16:48 AM »
In my childhood home of Guernsey there was a French style market place in the town, which was quite attractive, especially to visitors to the island. However, in recent years the market place has been turned into a series of modern boutiques, which do it no favours at all, imo. >:(   
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 11:21:51 AM »
I was looking at those photos, and my first thought is that that would be less likely to happen here because of land pressures, but then I remembered St Peter's Seminary

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/cardross/stpeters/index.html

Enki

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
I used to buy/sell/collect postcards many years ago when people were literally throwing them out as rubbish. I had about 10,000 cards mainly from the Edwardian and early George V eras. Many were photographs of street scenes, shops, seaside resorts etc. I especially treasured the local ones which were close to where I lived and often used to try to find the exact spot from where they had been photographed. Sometimes I was impressed at how little things had changed, but, sadly, most times, how the actual scene was almost unrecognisable from the postcard.

As regards cinemas, just before lockdown, a few friends and I were listing all the local cinemas we had been to in our youth. The list came to over 30, but, sadly, only one remains, and it is now an abandoned building.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Roses

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzFEqux8Ru4

I have just found this film of Guernsey in the 50s when I was a young child, it brings back a lot of memories. 
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."