Author Topic: Book Trigger Warnings  (Read 926 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Book Trigger Warnings
« on: March 24, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »
A site to help stop you reading books that might upset you. JfC!

https://booktriggerwarnings.com/index.php?title=Welcome

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Book Trigger Warnings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 01:30:44 PM »
Goodness me this is stupid.

Every book I read has a trigger in it.

Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 01:36:09 PM »
A site to help stop you reading books that might upset you. JfC!

https://booktriggerwarnings.com/index.php?title=Welcome

I looked up my favourite Agatha Christie: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and I was quite surprised to find no mention of anti-semitism (there is one definitely antisemitic line but I'm not sure if it's in the voice of Christie or one of the characters). Similarly, the Mysterious Affair at Styles: suspicion falls on a character simply because he is Jewish. Reassuringly though, murder is considered a trigger in both books.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 01:38:28 PM »

It might be argued that, if you aren't triggered in some way by a book, it isn't very good.

There isn't even an entry for Lord of the Rings but if there were, I would put down "extreme tedium" as a trigger.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Outrider

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 01:39:18 PM »

Like, I hope, you, I don't feel the need to avoid depictions of certain activities or events, as I don't have anything that affects me that way.  Rather than think of people who are unfortunately in those situations as 'stupid', I just find myself grateful.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 01:41:32 PM »
Useful list if you want to find some really juicy reading!
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 01:42:51 PM »

I tried searching on the Bible but all that came up was The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, which I would recommend, for character death, and child death. And Fahrenheit 451 for Bible burning.

Hmmm....

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 01:47:50 PM »
It might be argued that, if you aren't triggered in some way by a book, it isn't very good.

There isn't even an entry for Lord of the Rings but if there were, I would put down "extreme tedium" as a trigger.
Don't worry it's there split into the three books. Doesn't have the tedium warning though. The Hobbit is in for spiders, and war.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 01:52:12 PM »
Looking at the list of possible trigger warnings, it's a bit shite. It doesn't even have clowns on it.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »
Don't worry it's there split into the three books. Doesn't have the tedium warning though. The Hobbit is in for spiders, and war.
LotR can be accused of racism, in that whole species are good, and other whole species are evil, rather than individuals being somewhere on the good-evil spectrum, all mixed up regardless of species (for which read race). I still think it's great, in spite of that, and some major literary faults.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »
LotR can be accused of racism, in that whole species are good, and other whole species are evil, rather than individuals being somewhere on the good-evil spectrum, all mixed up regardless of species (for which read race). I still think it's great, in spite of that, and some major literary faults.

Tolkein's views were anti-racist, however the LotR books are just packed with racist tropes.  It just goes to show how easy it is to get things wrong, even go backwards. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien_and_race
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 06:52:47 PM »
Tolkein's views were anti-racist, however the LotR books are just packed with racist tropes.  It just goes to show how easy it is to get things wrong, even go backwards. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien_and_race

I have to say that, reading the wiki page, it looks like a case of people reading stuff into Tolkien that they want to be there but isn't.

Apart from the "West good, East bad" trope which is a common trope in fantasy novels and comes (IMO) from the geopolitical situation in the 20th century. For Britain and its allies, the bad guys were in the East.