Author Topic: Batley Grammar School: Prophet Muhammad cartoon row 'hijacked'  (Read 5521 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Batley Grammar School: Prophet Muhammad cartoon row 'hijacked'
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2021, 06:13:20 PM »
Gabriella,

No what is clear is that when you queried the line about the fire I told you to read the link and you either did not read it or you were not clued up enough to make the link to the fire in Benghazi. Instead of asking for further clarification you continued on with one of your usual blundering flights of fancy and you still seem to be firmly stuck on that path of misunderstanding despite having been referred to the link and despite having the Benghazi reference explained to you. Not surprisingly (and this has been pointed out to you before) people ignore you telling them how to post and what they should have written...but keep persevering if you want.

If you want to stick with that story with a straight face that’s up to you. I take the view that a paragraph clearly intended to illustrate the arguments that precede it should be treated as such, but hey – that’s just me and my “blundering flights of fancy” I guess. 

I suggest any questions you have about the suspension you direct to the school. The only information I have is what is in the media - the teacher was suspended by the school. We have not been informed how that decision was reached or why.

Yes I know you have. You also know perfectly well though that no school has the policy “don’t offend Muslims” so its response will actually be driven by minimising the risk of violent retribution.   

An evasion of what?

The question you were asked.

Clearly you're not getting it. I repeat - I agree with free speech but disagree it is some sort of absolute blanket right to cause offence.

Perhaps if you stopped twisting in the wind about this I would get it. OK, now you have why in your view isn’t the right to freedom of speech a blanket right to cause offence?

I think it exactly is that blanket right. Why don’t you?

Already asked and answered.

It is now. Hence my question: why don’t you think the right to freedom of speech is also a blanket right with reference to any offence that may be taken from its exercise?

I now know what you think (which is frankly alarming) but I don’t know why you think it.

Do you?   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:37:19 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:50 PM »
Gabriella,

If you want to stick with that story with a straight face that’s up to you. I take the view that a paragraph clearly intended to illustrate the arguments that precede it should be treated as such, but hey – that’s just me and my “blundering flights of fancy” I guess.
Yes I have no problem sticking to the facts, which is you queried the line about the fire, I then referred you to the link to the article to show that the fire was the author's tag on line in reference to the burning of the consulate in Benghazi. When you still seemed to think the traditional story included the reference to not setting fire to a house, I then spelled it out in #37 by stating that "Not burning down the house is not part of the traditional story. Not burning down the house is in reference to the attack on the US Diplomatic Consulate in Benghazi. The attackers set fire to it."

Yes I know you have. You also know perfectly well though that no school has the policy “don’t offend Muslims” so its response will actually be driven by minimising the risk of violent retribution.
The policy I was referring to was the school's policy on what happens when a complaint is made against a teacher. I suggest you check your speculations with the school as to how they arrived at their decision to suspend. It may have been to minimise the risk of violent retribution or it may be part of their disciplinary process after their initial investigation into the complaint. We don't have the facts. 

The question you were asked.
What question was that?

Perhaps if you stopped twisting in the wind about this I would get it.
Another one of your flights of fancy. You asked me a question in #40 about my views on whether protecting free speech always trumped the right to not be offended and I replied in #42 that "I think in the real world it depends on the situation and potential consequences. Tact, diplomacy, protecting bigger interests will influence the decision on a case by case basis I imagine. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour as the saying goes."

OK, why in your view isn’t the right to freedom of speech a blanket right to cause offence?

I think it exactly is that blanket right. Why don’t you?

It is now. Hence my question: why don’t you think the right to freedom of speech is also a blanket right with reference to any offence that may be taken from its exercise?

I now know what you think (which is frankly alarming) but I don’t know why you think it.

Do you?
I answered all of this in #47. It's the bit where I start "I agree with free speech but disagree it is some sort of absolute blanket right to cause offence. The reason why is....."
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2021, 07:00:18 PM »
Gabriella,

Yes I have no problem sticking to the facts, which is you queried the line about the fire, I then referred you to the link to the article to show that the fire was the author's tag on line in reference to the burning of the consulate in Benghazi. When you still seemed to think the traditional story included the reference to not setting fire to a house, I then spelled it out in #37 by stating that "Not burning down the house is not part of the traditional story. Not burning down the house is in reference to the attack on the US Diplomatic Consulate in Benghazi. The attackers set fire to it."

Bless. So when you said:

[My husband said that at our local mosque, the Friday sermon was that we may feel hurt by the pictures because of our love for Prophet Mohamed but the Sunnah (the way Prophet Mohamed behaved that Muslims try to emulate) is to show mercy, humility.

And followed it immediately with a thematically linked story that illustrates this supposed “mercy, humility” behaviour, namely:

The Prophet faced many insults when he started preaching and the traditional sayings and stories I have heard is that he did not react with anger and hatred.

For example the traditional story many Muslims tell about the old lady who used to throw garbage at the prophet Mohammed every day, as he passed on his way to the mosque. One day, the lady didn't come out to throw the garbage. The prophet`s response was to knock at her door and ask for her. When he came to know that the old lady was ill and lying in bed, he helped her out in the house. The prophet did not set fire to her house for showing disrespect, he looked after her."

In fact you intended the story to have nothing at all to do with the preceding claim it (supposedly) illustrated?

Riiiiiiight…

The policy I was referring to was the school's policy on what happens when a complaint is made against a teacher. I suggest you check your speculations with the school as to how they arrived at their decision to suspend. It may have been to minimise the risk of violent retribution or it may be part of their disciplinary process after their initial investigation into the complaint. We don't have the facts.

No one has suggested that the teacher broke a school policy. I’ve been a school governor: if a complaint about a teacher’s behaviour is made then there’s a review as to whether or not the complaint is frivolous, malicious etc. The teacher isn’t suspended at that stage (except in rare cases of accusations of abuse) – that comes later only if there’s a prima facie case to be answered.     

What question was that?

“…do you agree that the right to freedom of speech is always more important than the right not to be offended?”

Another one of your flights of fancy. You asked me a question in #40 about my views on whether protecting free speech always trumped the right to not be offended and I replied in #42 that "I think in the real world it depends on the situation and potential consequences. Tact, diplomacy, protecting bigger interests will influence the decision on a case by case basis I imagine. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour as the saying goes."

Very funny. So what you were trying to say but couldn’t quite bring yourself to say was “no”.

Are we now agreed that your answer is no?

I answered all of this in #47. It's the bit where I start "I agree with free speech but disagree it is some sort of absolute blanket right to cause offence. The reason why is....."

No you didn’t. You just expanded on your theme that we rub along better if offence isn’t caused. I agree. That’s not the question though. The question is what should happen when someone thinks the offence they take at a comment, picture etc should justify the banning of the expression of it?

My view is that “I take offence at that” should never justify preventing someone from saying it.   

What I don’t understand is why you don’t think that too, and the reason I don't understand that is that you haven't told me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 07:10:04 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »
Gabriella,

Bless.
Thanks and same to you.
So when you said:

And followed it immediately with a thematically linked story that illustrates this supposed “mercy, humility” behaviour, namely:

In fact you intended the story to have nothing at all to do with the preceding claim it (supposedly) illustrated?

Riiiiiiight…
As I said I have no problem sticking to the facts, which is you queried the line about the fire, I then referred you to the link to the article to show that the fire was the author's tag on line in reference to the burning of the consulate in Benghazi. When you still seemed to think the traditional story included the reference to not setting fire to a house, I then spelled it out in #37 by stating that the last line about not burning down the house is not part of the traditional story. "Not burning down the house is in reference to the attack on the US Diplomatic Consulate in Benghazi. The attackers set fire to it."

No one has suggested that the teacher broke a school policy. I’ve been a school governor: if a complaint about a teacher’s behaviour is made then there’s a review as to whether or not the complaint is frivolous, malicious etc. The teacher isn’t suspended at that stage (except in rare cases of accusations of abuse) – that comes later only if there’s a prima facie case to be answered.
As I said you will have to check with the school as to why they suspended the teacher and the timeline of how the decision unfolded.

“…do you agree that the right to freedom of speech is always more important than the right not to be offended?”
A question which I did not evade - in case you are having trouble reading my answer was in #42 where I said "I think in the real world it depends on the situation and potential consequences. Tact, diplomacy, protecting bigger interests will influence the decision on a case by case basis I imagine. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour as the saying goes."

Very funny. So what you were trying to say but couldn’t quite bring yourself to say was “no”.
What I was trying to say was exactly what I said. I've reminded you before that people tend to ignore your need to have people respond with the script you seem to want to write out for them.

Are we now agreed that your answer is no?
Unless you can think of another interpretation of my response #47 where I said "I agree with free speech but disagree it is some sort of absolute blanket right to cause offence. The reason why is....."

No you didn’t. You just expanded on your theme that we rub along better if offence isn’t caused. I agree. That’s not the question though. The question is what should happen when someone thinks the offence they take at a comment, picture etc should justify the banning of the expression of it?
Based on what has happened in the recent past in various countries  such as the banning of the use of the word "nigger" or banning Holocaust denial https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54509975 I would echo what Zuckerberg wrote. I think that people will "struggle with the tension" between free speech and banning such posts and each person will arrive at what they think "is the right balance".

My view is that “I take offence at that” should never justify preventing someone from saying it.   

What I don’t understand is why you don’t think that too.
Because I've thought about the various consequences and have decided that the "right balance" is in a different place from you and would want to approach it on a case by case basis.   
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2021, 07:28:20 AM »
The problem with using a Hebdo cartoon as a teaching tool is that it is very crude and if it has caused a rise in Islamophobic bullying as has been alleged, it indicates that its value as a teaching tool is compromised. Especially given the apparent media-driven skewing of public perceptions linking terrorism and Muslims.

https://theconversation.com/the-hypocritical-media-coverage-of-the-new-zealand-terror-attacks-113713

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2021, 03:29:52 PM »
I have to say I find the whole thing extremely tedious and tiresome and predictable.

Shouldn't schools know by now that it is not a good idea to use cartoons of Mohammed and have policies in place around this issue?

Shouldn't teachers also pause for thought when thinking of using said cartoons?

Do certain parts of the Muslim community have to be so predictable and outraged in their response?

Did the school have to be so knee jerk in it's reaction in suspending the teacher?

Couldn't all the pillocks involved just have talked it out somehow, somewhere before it got to this ridiculous stage?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2021, 03:42:39 PM »
I have to say I find the whole thing extremely tedious and tiresome and predictable.

Shouldn't schools know by now that it is not a good idea to use cartoons of Mohammed and have policies in place around this issue?

Shouldn't teachers also pause for thought when thinking of using said cartoons?

It's only not a good idea because of the reactions of others. If all it takes to get things effectively banned are protests and threats then we will be unable to have discussion. It's the very definition of a chilling effect on free speech.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2021, 03:50:02 PM »
It's only not a good idea because of the reactions of others. If all it takes to get things effectively banned are protests and threats then we will be unable to have discussion. It's the very definition of a chilling effect on free speech.

Well quite. But given that the reaction was entirely predictable could there not have been a way around this by prior discussion that would have addressed the issues?

As others have noted free speech comes with some restraints in society. Why is restraint not ok in this area?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2021, 03:55:18 PM »
Well quite. But given that the reaction was entirely predictable could there not have been a way around this by prior discussion that would have addressed the issues?

As others have noted free speech comes with some restraints in society. Why is restraint not ok in this area?
Because the restraint is enforced by threats. If we are only allowed to discuss that which does not offend someone, then we will have no discussion. Jerry Springer - The Opera offended lots of people - should the writers have restrained themselves from writing it?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2021, 04:06:36 PM »
Because the restraint is enforced by threats. If we are only allowed to discuss that which does not offend someone, then we will have no discussion. Jerry Springer - The Opera offended lots of people - should the writers have restrained themselves from writing it?

OK. Still strikes me that it was entirely predictable and more of an effort could have been made to find a work around prior.

Still I look forward to images of the Pope buggering little boys and seeing no outcry whatsoever.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2021, 05:18:07 PM »
Gabriella,

As I said I have no problem sticking to the facts, which is you queried the line about the fire, I then referred you to the link to the article to show that the fire was the author's tag on line in reference to the burning of the consulate in Benghazi. When you still seemed to think the traditional story included the reference to not setting fire to a house, I then spelled it out in #37 by stating that the last line about not burning down the house is not part of the traditional story. "Not burning down the house is in reference to the attack on the US Diplomatic Consulate in Benghazi. The attackers set fire to it."

I really don’t know why you insist on doing this to yourself, but fine – have it your way. The part of your post that I actually commented on that illustrated the claims and arguments made in the paras that immediately preceded it you actually put there for reasons entirely unconnected to those preceding paras. I guess the next time you post some claims and follow them with an illustrative story I’ll have to check with you first whether you actually intended the story to have anything to do with the claims it illustrated in the preceding paras.

Will that do?

As I said you will have to check with the school as to why they suspended the teacher and the timeline of how the decision unfolded.

That’s not what you said. What you said concerned what happens if a policy is applicable (“The policy I was referring to was the school's policy on what happens when a complaint is made against a teacher.”) I was just explaining to you that it’s entirely possible that there isn’t a school policy involved at all – just a pragmatic response to the risk of violence from thugs who would take the law into their own hands. The policy part is your assumption.   

A question which I did not evade - in case you are having trouble reading my answer was in #42 where I said "I think in the real world it depends on the situation and potential consequences. Tact, diplomacy, protecting bigger interests will influence the decision on a case by case basis I imagine. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour as the saying goes."

That’s just a repeat of the same evasion. Again, the question is: “Do you agree that the right to freedom of speech is always more important than the right not to be offended?”. It’s a binary question (because the “always” is a categoric) – the only cogent answers are “yes” or “no”. The “it depends” reply also means “no”. So what you’re telling us is that in your view the right to freedom of speech is not always more important than the right not to be offended. Fine – if that’s your position so be it. I’d find it hard to disagree with you more about that, but at least we now know what your position is.

What I was trying to say was exactly what I said. I've reminded you before that people tend to ignore your need to have people respond with the script you seem to want to write out for them.

But exactly what you said was a circumlocution around the answer “no”. That’s ok though – now we know the answer to be “no” so we can move on to try to find out why you think that. 

Unless you can think of another interpretation of my response #47 where I said "I agree with free speech but disagree it is some sort of absolute blanket right to cause offence. The reason why is....."

Aw, now you’re back peddling again. Let’s stick instead with the closest you’ve come to clarity so far though – that you don’t agree with the statement “the right to free speech is always more important than the right not to be offended”. Call that a “blanket” right if you like, but it’s the same thing: “there is no amount of offence that could be taken that would justify the banning of expressing the statement, image etc that caused it” is the position you’re now disagreeing with right?

Based on what has happened in the recent past in various countries  such as the banning of the use of the word "nigger" or banning Holocaust denial https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54509975 I would echo what Zuckerberg wrote. I think that people will "struggle with the tension" between free speech and banning such posts and each person will arrive at what they think "is the right balance".

No doubt, but to get back to the question I asked you: what should happen when someone thinks the offence they take at a comment, picture etc should justify the banning of the expression of it? This is what I’m actually asking you, Gabriella – not Zuckerberg, not anyone else. In your opinion should such a person’s degree of offence taken ever justify the banning of the right to express whatever caused the offence to be taken? Please try to remember here that “it depends” also means “yes”.   

Because I've thought about the various consequences and have decided that the "right balance" is in a different place from you and would want to approach it on a case by case basis.

So you now seem to think that the consequences – murdering a Danish cartoonist for example – can justify banning the freedom to express the idea at which the offence was taken? Well, in the short term I can see some expediency in that. Provided enough murderous Muslim (or any other type of) thugs threaten to tool up and take the law into their own hands, it’s probably safer not to take the risk right?

Here’s the thing though – is that really the type of society you want to be part of? Ideas suppressed because of the threats of violence if they’re expressed rather than allowed to fight their corner on the basis of debate and argument and evidence? It seems to me that that kind of society would in the longer run be a much more dangerous, impoverished, dispirited one than a society where freedom of speech always trumps offence taken at its expression.

I’m surprised that you don’t think that too by the way, but then again…     
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:01:56 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »
Gabriella,

The problem with using a Hebdo cartoon as a teaching tool is that it is very crude and if it has caused a rise in Islamophobic bullying as has been alleged, it indicates that its value as a teaching tool is compromised. Especially given the apparent media-driven skewing of public perceptions linking terrorism and Muslims.

https://theconversation.com/the-hypocritical-media-coverage-of-the-new-zealand-terror-attacks-113713

Which would you say is the bigger problem - banning freedom of speech on the grounds of short-term expediency, or arriving at a society where anyone's offence taken can justify banning expressing any ideas, comments, drawings, music etc? Try to remember here by the way that you don't have the option of "ban the Hebdo cartoons but everything not offensive to Muslims is fine". Once you take the cork out of that bottle anyone's offence at anything carries the same weight of argument. My view is that that weight is precisely zero, but you seem to think otherwise.       

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2021, 05:33:29 PM »
Trent,

Because those other cases are in a different category to taking offence. The famous case of not being allowed to rush into a crowded theatre and shout "fire" for example is not the same category of not being able to say something because someone could be offended by it. As I just explained to Gabriella, if you do allow that in one case then you have no defence against any other use of the same justification to ban free speech: "You want a cross in your living room window. Sorry but I'm offended by that, therefore..." etc.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:55:25 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2021, 05:37:51 PM »
Trent,

OK. Still strikes me that it was entirely predictable and more of an effort could have been made to find a work around prior.

Still I look forward to images of the Pope buggering little boys and seeing no outcry whatsoever.

First, no doubt there would be an outcry but that's the point - should "outcry" ever be sufficient to ban freedom of expression? Was the outcry at "Jerry Springer: The Opera" justification for banning it? Why not?

Second though, the Pope is a living person who could then therefore sue for defamation if he was so minded. 

God

Owlswing

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2021, 07:35:16 PM »

By telling BHS to carry on if he wants to make one-liner posts on here, thereby exercising his freedom of speech? How is that thin-skinned? Looking forward to an explanation of how you joined the dots there.

It is quite simple and you should not need a sign-post!

And, if you do, you are not the person I thought you to be.

Owlswing

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2021, 11:09:56 AM »
From today's Independent

Batley Grammar School: Teacher fears he will be killed amid continuing cartoon anger

“He should never teach again,” one demonstrator, 20-year-old Hash Hash, told The Independent on Friday. “We’ll keep coming here until he is gone.”

Now, the teacher’s father has spoken about the full impact the episode is having on the whole family.“My son…knows that he’s not going to be able to return to work or live in Batley,” he told the Daily Mail. “It’s just going to be too dangerous for him and his family.

“Look what happened to the teacher in France who was killed for doing the same thing. Eventually they will get my son and he knows this. His whole world has been turned upside down. He's devastated and crushed.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/batley-grammar-school-latest-cartoon-row-protests-b1824270.html

God

Owlswing

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2021, 01:04:55 PM »
From today's Independent

Batley Grammar School: Teacher fears he will be killed amid continuing cartoon anger

“He should never teach again,” one demonstrator, 20-year-old Hash Hash, told The Independent on Friday. “We’ll keep coming here until he is gone.”

Now, the teacher’s father has spoken about the full impact the episode is having on the whole family.“My son…knows that he’s not going to be able to return to work or live in Batley,” he told the Daily Mail. “It’s just going to be too dangerous for him and his family.

“Look what happened to the teacher in France who was killed for doing the same thing. Eventually, they will get my son and he knows this. His whole world has been turned upside down. He's devastated and crushed.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/batley-grammar-school-latest-cartoon-row-protests-b1824270.html

Come on Gabriella - defend your fellow Muslims who have put this teacher in this situation that he fears for his life and the lives of his family! Tell him that if he and his family are killed it will not be by "True" Muslims! Just by a .lunatic fringe - no that it will make a blind bit of difference, they will still be just as dead, won't they!

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2021, 01:18:14 PM »
From today's Independent

“Look what happened to the teacher in France who was killed for doing the same thing. Eventually they will get my son and he knows this. His whole world has been turned upside down. He's devastated and crushed.”

hmm.. I've assumed from the start that that was exactly the result he/she (though of-course it must be a "he") was after. 

Another martyr for "free speech" and a good boost for Islamophobia - well done all round!
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »
Udayana,

hmm.. I've assumed from the start that that was exactly the result he/she (though of-course it must be a "he") was after.

Another martyr for "free speech" and a good boost for Islamophobia - well done all round!

So just to be clear - do you think freedom of speech should be sacrificed to violence and thuggery just as a matter of self-preserving expediency, or that it's a good basis for the kind of society you'd want to live in?

God

Owlswing

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2021, 01:55:01 PM »
Udayana,

So just to be clear - do you think freedom of speech should be sacrificed to violence and thuggery just as a matter of self-preserving expediency, or that it's a good basis for the kind of society you'd want to live in?

Thanks, BH - you asked the question for me!

Owlswing

)O(

ekim

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »
This looks like an example of 'freedom' of speech in support of violence and thuggery...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56577064

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2021, 03:13:32 PM »
ekim,

This looks like an example of 'freedom' of speech in support of violence and thuggery...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56577064

Yes it does, presumably because trying to recruit people to a banned terrorist organisation is deemed equivalent to running into a crowded theatre and shouting “fire”. These are never easy cases though – once the principle is established, the potential for abuse comes with it. Various organisations now thought to be freedom fighters for example were historically deemed by their gov’ts to be terrorists, so their views were banned. Some of the IRA’s views too weren’t so far away from what the Good Friday agreement now actually says, yet Thatcher’s gov’t banned broadcasters from playing them (which they got round with voice dubbing).

My view is that the banning of free speech should be a very rare event, done only in exceptional circumstances. I’m aware of course that defining which circumstances exactly is impossible, and that even allowing for that concession is fraught with the potential for abuse. That’s the messy nature of the thing. Notwithstanding, I cannot for the life of me see how “but I’m offended by that” should be one of these circumstances.         

God

Roses

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2021, 03:34:32 PM »
Freedom of speech in support of things, which encourage violence and harm to people should be banned, the scum who are parroting it should be prosecuted.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2021, 03:41:15 PM »
Floo,

Freedom of speech in support of things, which encourage violence and harm to people should be banned, the scum who are parroting it should be prosecuted.

Well, that's Churchill's "We will fight them on the beaches" speech on the banned list then.

God

Roses

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2021, 03:45:17 PM »
Floo,

Well, that's Churchill's "We will fight them on the beaches" speech on the banned list then.

You are being silly! ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."