Author Topic: Batley Grammar School: Prophet Muhammad cartoon row 'hijacked'  (Read 5526 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Batley Grammar School: Prophet Muhammad cartoon row 'hijacked'
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2021, 03:58:47 PM »
Floo,

You are being silly! ::)

No I'm not - it's a much more complex and nuanced issue than you think.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2021, 04:48:36 PM »
Udayana,

So just to be clear - do you think freedom of speech should be sacrificed to violence and thuggery just as a matter of self-preserving expediency, or that it's a good basis for the kind of society you'd want to live in?

Of-course not. No one is suggesting banning freedom of speech. And, violence and thuggery are certainly against the law and should be prosecuted if used.

People can say whatever they like, though, on the whole, I'd prefer that they say things that are worth saying.

So, what was this chap saying?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2021, 05:13:17 PM »
Udayana,

Of-course not. No one is suggesting banning freedom of speech. And, violence and thuggery are certainly against the law and should be prosecuted if used.

People can say whatever they like, though, on the whole, I'd prefer that they say things that are worth saying.

So, what was this chap saying?

He could have been saying one of several things – best guess is that he was using it as a teaching aid to illustrate what happens when modern western liberal values collide with mediaeval religiously-inspired barbarity, but his purpose is another matter. The primary question is whether in your view the taking of offence should ever justify the denial of the freedom to express the thing that triggered it.

My view is no. So far as I can tell Gabriella is equivocal about that. What do you think?     

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2021, 05:44:07 PM »
I have to say I find the whole thing extremely tedious and tiresome and predictable.

Shouldn't schools know by now that it is not a good idea to use cartoons of Mohammed and have policies in place around this issue?

Shouldn't teachers also pause for thought when thinking of using said cartoons?

Do certain parts of the Muslim community have to be so predictable and outraged in their response?

Did the school have to be so knee jerk in it's reaction in suspending the teacher?

Couldn't all the pillocks involved just have talked it out somehow, somewhere before it got to this ridiculous stage?
I agree that this was predictable. I am more outraged and frustrated rather than finding it tedious though. I have felt that way about the thousands of death threats made against politicians, JK Rowling, anyone speaking out publicly on an issue, the unarmed non-violent people who have been assassinated all over the world throughout history simply for speaking up about their ideas.

The impression that the media has created is that either the police do not have the resources or there is not a policy of tracking down the people who make these threats or the police are prevented from identifying these people by the social media companies or the courts will not do anything that will protect the public until the person making the threats has actually carried out a violent act.

There are also people who do not send death threats but seem to turn up intent on carrying out violence - the murder of teacher Sam Paty for showing a Hebdo cartoon, the murder of the Muslim Glasgow shopkeeper Asad Shah for posting an Easter message on Facebook to his customers, the murder of Jo Cox MP for not supporting Brexit etc

If this particular Hebdo cartoon was part of the curriculum as is being reported by the teacher's father, not sure why the school made a statement that it was inappropriate of the teacher to use it. Given some of the murders that have already taken place, as part of their risk assessment and duty of care to the children the school can't have failed to anticipate that the children and/or teachers were at risk from physical violence. In which case parents and any other people who are against censorship will presumably want to know what measures the school has put in place to protect the children from witnessing extremist violence and the murder of their teachers if the school decides to carry on using the cartoons as teaching aids.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2021, 06:39:09 PM »
Gabriella,

I agree that this was predictable. I am more outraged and frustrated rather than finding it tedious though. I have felt that way about the thousands of death threats made against politicians, JK Rowling, anyone speaking out publicly on an issue, the unarmed non-violent people who have been assassinated all over the world throughout history simply for speaking up about their ideas.

Including the Charlie Hebdo staff presumably too. Good, we agree on this then.

The impression that the media has created is that either the police do not have the resources or there is not a policy of tracking down the people who make these threats or the police are prevented from identifying these people by the social media companies or the courts will not do anything that will protect the public until the person making the threats has actually carried out a violent act.

Actually making threats is a crime too provided certain criteria are met (identification of the target for example) but I’m not sure in any case that it’s so much a media creation as simply true. There are countless opportunities to make threats, and there aren’t enough cops to investigate them all.

There are also people who do not send death threats but seem to turn up intent on carrying out violence - the murder of teacher Sam Paty for showing a Hebdo cartoon, the murder of the Muslim Glasgow shopkeeper Asad Shah for posting an Easter message on Facebook to his customers, the murder of Jo Cox MP for not supporting Brexit etc

Quite so. If the “offendee” really has murderous intent then his better strategy is not to threaten at all but to sneak up on his victim unannounced. The only way to protect against that would be to have a police officer on the doorstep of every potential victim 24/7 – clearly an impossibility.         

If this particular Hebdo cartoon was part of the curriculum as is being reported by the teacher's father, not sure why the school made a statement that it was inappropriate of the teacher to use it.

Best guess is that they were trying to damp down the flames of the uproar it caused. I can’t imagine actually showing the cartoon(s) is part of the curriculum (otherwise all or most schools would be doing it) – rather it seems the teacher made that decision himself to illustrate the point he was teaching.

Given some of the murders that have already taken place, as part of their risk assessment and duty of care to the children the school can't have failed to anticipate that the children and/or teachers were at risk from physical violence. In which case parents and any other people who are against censorship will presumably want to know what measures the school has put in place to protect the children from witnessing extremist violence and the murder of their teachers if the school decides to carry on using the cartoons as teaching aids.

Nah, I don’t suppose the school even knew he was going to do that. I remember a German language teacher I had bringing in some sauerkraut one day for us to try. Nothing in the curriculum would have told him to do it though.   

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2021, 07:09:23 PM »
Gabriella,

I really don’t know why you insist on doing this to yourself, but fine – have it your way. The part of your post that I actually commented on that illustrated the claims and arguments made in the paras that immediately preceded it you actually put there for reasons entirely unconnected to those preceding paras. I guess the next time you post some claims and follow them with an illustrative story I’ll have to check with you first whether you actually intended the story to have anything to do with the claims it illustrated in the preceding paras.

Will that do?
And I really don't know why you insist on doing this to yourself BHS. It's not difficult to grasp. You queried the last line in the para that I quoted and I explained that the last line was not part of the traditional story but had been added by the author of the article because he had written it after the US consulate in Benghazi had been set on fire by extremists.

I linked to the article not just because of the traditional story but because the article had lots of what I thought were useful points in relation to the current topic about freedom of speech and people with different values trying to live together and work together to solve bigger issues in society than a cartoon. The article discussed how Obama might address the Prophet Mohamed cartoon issue in the same way he addressed the Reverend Wright conflict in the US by going to the heart of the issue rather than focusing on the symptoms. The article referenced his "A More Perfect Union" 2008 speech where he made it clear that solving these big problems required sacrifice and struggle:

And yet words on a parchment would not be enough to deliver slaves from bondage, or provide men and women of every color and creed their full rights and obligations as citizens of the United States. What would be needed were Americans in successive generations who were willing to do their part - through protests and struggle, on the streets and in the courts, through a civil war and civil disobedience and always at great risk - to narrow that gap between the promise of our ideals and the reality of their time......

....But race is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore right now. We would be making the same mistake that Reverend Wright made in his offending sermons about America - to simplify and stereotype and amplify the negative to the point that it distorts reality.

The fact is that the comments that have been made and the issues that have surfaced over the last few weeks reflect the complexities of race in this country that we've never really worked through

And yet all you could do was make inane one-liners about not setting fire to a house. The contrast between your focus on one line and Obama's eloquent perspectives on real issues were irritating but not entirely unexpected given some of your previous posts.

That’s not what you said. What you said concerned what happens if a policy is applicable (“The policy I was referring to was the school's policy on what happens when a complaint is made against a teacher.”) I was just explaining to you that it’s entirely possible that there isn’t a school policy involved at all – just a pragmatic response to the risk of violence from thugs who would take the law into their own hands. The policy part is your assumption.
And I kept saying that given the absence of facts, while we can speculate about all kinds of possibilities, only the school and the teacher can clarify what actually happened.   

That’s just a repeat of the same evasion.
You can think it's evasion if you want. It's not evasion for the simple reason that people are free to not consider issues in the simplistic terms that you demand they see them and to reply in a more nuanced way than perhaps you would like.
Again, the question is: “Do you agree that the right to freedom of speech is always more important than the right not to be offended?”. It’s a binary question (because the “always” is a categoric) – the only cogent answers are “yes” or “no”. The “it depends” reply also means “no”. So what you’re telling us is that in your view the right to freedom of speech is not always more important than the right not to be offended. Fine – if that’s your position so be it. I’d find it hard to disagree with you more about that, but at least we now know what your position is.

But exactly what you said was a circumlocution around the answer “no”. That’s ok though – now we know the answer to be “no” so we can move on to try to find out why you think that.
Glad you have finally understood that I answer questions based on my own posting style and not based on yours. We got there in the end.

Aw, now you’re back peddling again.
Aw not another one of your tedious flights of fancy,
Let’s stick instead with the closest you’ve come to clarity so far though – that you don’t agree with the statement “the right to free speech is always more important than the right not to be offended”. Call that a “blanket” right if you like, but it’s the same thing: “there is no amount of offence that could be taken that would justify the banning of expressing the statement, image etc that caused it” is the position you’re now disagreeing with right?
It is the position I have been disagreeing with right from the start.

No doubt, but to get back to the question I asked you: what should happen when someone thinks the offence they take at a comment, picture etc should justify the banning of the expression of it? This is what I’m actually asking you, Gabriella – not Zuckerberg, not anyone else. In your opinion should such a person’s degree of offence taken ever justify the banning of the right to express whatever caused the offence to be taken? Please try to remember here that “it depends” also means “yes”.
And as I already posted, I echo what Zuckerberg said. Do you have trouble understanding what the word "echo" means or do you have trouble reading Zuckerberg's comment and understanding how it relates to your question? 

So you now seem to think that the consequences – murdering a Danish cartoonist for example – can justify banning the freedom to express the idea at which the offence was taken? Well, in the short term I can see some expediency in that. Provided enough murderous Muslim (or any other type of) thugs threaten to tool up and take the law into their own hands, it’s probably safer not to take the risk right?

Here’s the thing though – is that really the type of society you want to be part of? Ideas suppressed because of the threats of violence if they’re expressed rather than allowed to fight their corner on the basis of debate and argument and evidence? It seems to me that that kind of society would in the longer run be a much more dangerous, impoverished, dispirited one than a society where freedom of speech always trumps offence taken at its expression.

I’m surprised that you don’t think that too by the way, but then again…   
Why would you think that I think murdering a Danish cartoonist would justify banning his freedom to express his idea? I have not said that I think the Danish cartoonist should have been banned from publishing his cartoon. What I said was that in certain cases in society I would support restricting freedom of speech ie, I would consider individual situations or look at it on a case by case basis rather than as a blanket rule either to give complete freedom or to ban all offensive cartoons of Prophet Mohamed or any other subject matter.  This seems to be another one of your flights of fantasy.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2021, 07:12:25 PM »
Gabriella,

Which would you say is the bigger problem - banning freedom of speech on the grounds of short-term expediency, or arriving at a society where anyone's offence taken can justify banning expressing any ideas, comments, drawings, music etc? Try to remember here by the way that you don't have the option of "ban the Hebdo cartoons but everything not offensive to Muslims is fine". Once you take the cork out of that bottle anyone's offence at anything carries the same weight of argument. My view is that that weight is precisely zero, but you seem to think otherwise.       
If you are going to quote me, then I suggest you stick the subject of my quote - which was the limited effectiveness of a puerile Hebdo cartoon in school as a teaching tool. I am not talking about society.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2021, 07:14:40 PM »
It is quite simple and you should not need a sign-post!

And, if you do, you are not the person I thought you to be.

Owlswing

)O(
In other words you had no idea what you are talking about and wrote a knee-jerk comment without thinking it through logically. And now you can't justify it.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2021, 07:19:51 PM »
Come on Gabriella - defend your fellow Muslims who have put this teacher in this situation that he fears for his life and the lives of his family! Tell him that if he and his family are killed it will not be by "True" Muslims! Just by a .lunatic fringe - no that it will make a blind bit of difference, they will still be just as dead, won't they!

Owlswing

)O(
Why would I defend my fellow Muslims? Are you really so misguided or bigoted that you are under the impression that we all think the same? Would you have defended British soldiers who raped or murdered civilians just because they were your fellow soldiers? Would you have told the victims' families that those soldiers were not true representatives of the British army?

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
Udayana,

He could have been saying one of several things – best guess is that he was using it as a teaching aid to illustrate what happens when modern western liberal values collide with mediaeval religiously-inspired barbarity, but his purpose is another matter. The primary question is whether in your view the taking of offence should ever justify the denial of the freedom to express the thing that triggered it.

My view is no. So far as I can tell Gabriella is equivocal about that. What do you think?     

Don't think that freedom of expression should be restricted because of possible offence, but neither should the freedom to object when offended and seek appropriate redress.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2021, 11:18:27 AM »
Don't think that freedom of expression should be restricted because of possible offence, but neither should the freedom to object when offended and seek appropriate redress.
What do you mean by 'appropriate redress'?

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »
What the "offendee"  thinks is appropriate of-course.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »
What the "offendee"  thinks is appropriate of-course.
Err I don't see how you can mean that, it implies that Rishdie getting murdered for The Satanic Verses would be 'appropriate redress".

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »
Err I don't see how you can mean that, it implies that Rishdie getting murdered for The Satanic Verses would be 'appropriate redress".

No it doesn't, as murder is against the law. All I'm saying is, given the same freedom of expression, those who feel that it would be appropriate can campaign for the law to be changed or otherwise express their feelings within the law -as indeed they did.

Actually, it is not a bad book but, as usual with Rushdie, I struggled to get further than halfway through - so maybe not half bad :)

Owlswing

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2021, 11:54:10 PM »

Why would I defend my fellow Muslims? Are you really so misguided or bigoted that you are under the impression that we all think the same? Would you have defended British soldiers who raped or murdered civilians just because they were your fellow soldiers? Would you have told the victims' families that those soldiers were not true representatives of the British army?

And just who, precisely and exactly has the teacher raped or murdered? No-one, but you seem to me to be saying that because the offended are Muslim they are entitled, as per their religious rules, to murder anyone who offends against their religion in any way, shape, or form.

I lost two friends to the Muslim who attacked the Orlando gay club - I didn't go out and murder two Muslims in revenge, I left the law to do the job!

It is the way Muslims seem to think that because the Koran tells them they can murder, at least I assume that is where they get their rules from, it is OK as long as they can state that their religion had been in some way attacked or offended by the person murdered! This was the reason given for Orlando, gays were an abomination unto Nuggan - Sorry, wrong deity, Islam!

Owlswing

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2021, 08:36:07 AM »
you seem to me to be saying that because the offended are Muslim they are entitled, as per their religious rules, to murder anyone who offends against their religion in any way, shape, or form.

Owlswing, Gabrielle is not saying that at all.

She is merely pointing out that she is not responsible for the thoughts and actions of every Muslim. Just as I am not responsible for the thoughts and actions of Boris Johnson with whom I share a common heritage, unfortunately.

If you implemented the same rules against me I would be apologising for that person till the day I die. Something I assure you that I am not ever going to do.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Owlswing

« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2021, 08:42:06 AM »

She is merely pointing out that she is not responsible for the thoughts and actions of every Muslim. Just as I am not responsible for the thoughts and actions of Boris Johnson with whom I share a common heritage, unfortunately.

If you implemented the same rules against me I would be apologising for that person till the day I die. Something I assure you that I am not ever going to do.

OK OK OK! I aologise for my misinterpretation of the lady's posts!

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2021, 01:07:40 PM »

I don't, of course, believe that Gabriella is responsible for the thoughts and actions of every Muslim. That would be bonkers.

However your analogy isn't a good one. That you (or I) have the same cultural heritage as Boris Johnson isn't a choice on our part. We cannot alter the accident of our birth into the cultural heritage of the UK. That isn't the same for belief systems, which are a choice. We can choose our belief systems, whether political or religious and therefore therefore we should expect to justify those beliefs and also to how and why we do not agree with the thought and actions of others, based on the same broad belief. That doesn't apply in the same manner to something over which we have no choice - such as a shared cultural heritage.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2021, 01:28:32 PM »
I don't, of course, believe that Gabriella is responsible for the thoughts and actions of every Muslim. That would be bonkers.

However your analogy isn't a good one. That you (or I) have the same cultural heritage as Boris Johnson isn't a choice on our part. We cannot alter the accident of our birth into the cultural heritage of the UK. That isn't the same for belief systems, which are a choice. We can choose our belief systems, whether political or religious and therefore therefore we should expect to justify those beliefs and also to how and why we do not agree with the thought and actions of others, based on the same broad belief. That doesn't apply in the same manner to something over which we have no choice - such as a shared cultural heritage.

You and I can probably agree that belief is a choice.

I have spoken to many believers who find it inconceivable that I could choose to disbelieve in the Christian God. Many believers claim that they have no choice in their belief.

My analogy was but a way of trying to get Owlswing to see that whatever group you belong to you don't have the responsibility of defending that group.

All religions have variants (some produce as many as Covid), why should Gabriella have to defend a view she clearly does not subscribe to.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2021, 03:14:53 PM »
Gabriella,

And I really don't know why you insist on doing this to yourself BHS. It's not difficult to grasp. You queried the last line in the para that I quoted and I explained that the last line was not part of the traditional story but had been added by the author of the article because he had written it after the US consulate in Benghazi had been set on fire by extremists.

I linked to the article not just because of the traditional story but because the article had lots of what I thought were useful points in relation to the current topic about freedom of speech and people with different values trying to live together and work together to solve bigger issues in society than a cartoon. The article discussed how Obama might address the Prophet Mohamed cartoon issue in the same way he addressed the Reverend Wright conflict in the US by going to the heart of the issue rather than focusing on the symptoms. The article referenced his "A More Perfect Union" 2008 speech where he made it clear that solving these big problems required sacrifice and struggle:

And yet words on a parchment would not be enough to deliver slaves from bondage, or provide men and women of every color and creed their full rights and obligations as citizens of the United States. What would be needed were Americans in successive generations who were willing to do their part - through protests and struggle, on the streets and in the courts, through a civil war and civil disobedience and always at great risk - to narrow that gap between the promise of our ideals and the reality of their time......

....But race is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore right now. We would be making the same mistake that Reverend Wright made in his offending sermons about America - to simplify and stereotype and amplify the negative to the point that it distorts reality.

The fact is that the comments that have been made and the issues that have surfaced over the last few weeks reflect the complexities of race in this country that we've never really worked through

And yet all you could do was make inane one-liners about not setting fire to a house. The contrast between your focus on one line and Obama's eloquent perspectives on real issues were irritating but not entirely unexpected given some of your previous posts.

This is bonkers. Try reading your Reply 24 again. You set out various claims and statements about “the Prophet” not reacting “with anger and hatred” and followed them immediately with a story (in quotes) that (supposedly) illustrated this trait. I then said that the story you used to illustrate not reacting with anger and hatred set the bar pretty low (ie, not burning down a dying woman’s house).   

Nowhere did you say “oh, and here's a story has nothing to do with anything I’ve just said but is pertinent to something else in a link that follows it to which I’ve made no reference whatsoever”. (For what it’s worth by the way I assumed the link was your citation for the quote you’d just posted as is standard practice here.) As I said before, if you want to stick with your version with a straight face that’s up to you but you can hardly blame someone for commenting on a thematically identical story that immediately followed various claims for thinking you intended the story to illustrate those claims.       

And I kept saying that given the absence of facts, while we can speculate about all kinds of possibilities, only the school and the teacher can clarify what actually happened.

Which is different from claiming knowledge that is was a policy matter, but ok.   

You can think it's evasion if you want. It's not evasion for the simple reason that people are free to not consider issues in the simplistic terms that you demand they see them and to reply in a more nuanced way than perhaps you would like.

You’re prevaricating again. “Simple" and “simplistic” are not the same thing. The question is, “do you think “I’m offended by that” is ever justification for the denial of the right to express the thing at which the offence was taken?”. It’s simple inasmuch as the answer is binary: Y/N – either you do think that or you don't think that.

The minute you try an “it depends” though you allow for the possibility that there could be cases when the degree of offence taken justifies the banning of the right to make the statement, so "it depends" is also “yes”.

Glad you have finally understood that I answer questions based on my own posting style and not based on yours. We got there in the end.

I make no comment on your posting style (other that is than weariness at your tendency to tell someone how a watch works when all they asked you for was the time of day) – I was just trying to get a straight Y/N answer from you to a perfectly simple question of principle.

Aw not another one of your tedious flights of fancy,

Hardly.

It is the position I have been disagreeing with right from the start.

“It depends” isn’t disagreeing from the start at all, but I’m glad you’re now saying that it doesn’t depend after all: we’re aligned then in thinking that there is no amount of offence taken that would justify the banning of the right to say something right? 

And as I already posted, I echo what Zuckerberg said. Do you have trouble understanding what the word "echo" means or do you have trouble reading Zuckerberg's comment and understanding how it relates to your question?

No, but you do it seems have trouble understanding basic concepts. Zuckerberg was making a statement about commercial expediency and the way his business chooses to act. He wasn’t arguing for a philosophical principle. You though are being asked about that kind of statement. I’m not asking you how you’d run your business when addressing free speech issues, I’m asking you as a philosophical principle whether you think offence taken should ever justify banning free speech.     

Why would you think that I think murdering a Danish cartoonist would justify banning his freedom to express his idea? I have not said that I think the Danish cartoonist should have been banned from publishing his cartoon. What I said was that in certain cases in society I would support restricting freedom of speech ie, I would consider individual situations or look at it on a case by case basis rather than as a blanket rule either to give complete freedom or to ban all offensive cartoons of Prophet Mohamed or any other subject matter.  This seems to be another one of your flights of fantasy.

No, it’s just you returning to the same evasiveness. How can I put this more simply for you…

…try this. When considering the right to free speech on a case-by-case basis, would any part of your considerations include the offence taken by the exercise of that right?   

If you are going to quote me, then I suggest you stick the subject of my quote - which was the limited effectiveness of a puerile Hebdo cartoon in school as a teaching tool. I am not talking about society.

But you are, for the reason I just explained. Schools are part of society and if you let the cork out of the bottle by accepting offence taken as the justification for banning the right to free speech about a cartoon, then you have no argument to prevent the same justification of offence taken to prevent the expression of anything else. Your cartoon of Mohammed is someone else’s rainbow flag – it doesn’t matter once the underlying principle (that freedom of speech trumps offence taken) is abandoned. You can equivocate about this all you like by telling me you’d consider it on a case-by-case basis etc but actually the question is a matter of principle, not circumstances: when someone says to you “I want you Gabriella to ban the expression of X because I’m offended by it” would you throw them out before they got one word further or you wouldn’t you? Which is it?       

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 06:12:16 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2021, 03:19:57 PM »
Udayana,

No-one's saying that the (lawful) right to object should be restricted either, but why should someone have redress because they've been offended?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
Owls,

Come on Gabriella - defend your fellow Muslims who have put this teacher in this situation that he fears for his life and the lives of his family! Tell him that if he and his family are killed it will not be by "True" Muslims! Just by a .lunatic fringe - no that it will make a blind bit of difference, they will still be just as dead, won't they!

It's not Gabriella's job to defend the actions of the fruit loops in her faith, any more that it's the job of the local vicar to defend the actions of the KKK. I do think people of faith (any faith) might give pause though when their "because that's my faith" as the rationale for benign beliefs is precisely the same rationale for malign ones (eg blowing up aeroplanes). The moment you claim "faith" to be any better at identifying epistemic truths than just guessing is the moment you give up the same ground to anyone else with the same claim.   

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2021, 06:04:56 PM »
Gabriella,

This is bonkers.
I agree. You being fixated on one line in one post out of all my posts on this thread is bonkers.
Try reading your Reply 24 again. You set out various claims and statements about “the Prophet” not reacting “with anger and hatred” and followed them immediately with a quote that (supposedly) illustrated this trait. I then said that the quote you used to illustrate not reacting with anger and hatred set the bar pretty low (ie, not burning down a dying woman’s house).
Yes you did and I said read the link, which had many interesting (IMO) things to say in relation to cartoons of Prophet Mohamed and I took it to mean that societies need to have difficult conversations about prejudices and also that theoretical freedoms or rights do not mean much unless people struggle, protest, carry out civil disobedience and stand up for the ideals they claim they believe in - whether it is free speech or anything else. 
Nowhere did to say “oh, and the following story has nothing to do with anything I’ve just said, but is pertinent to something else in a link that follows to which I’ve made no reference whatsoever”. For what it’s worth by the way I assumed the link was your citation for the quote you’d just posted as is standard practice here. As I said before, if you want to stick with your version with a straight face that’s up to you but you can hardly blame someone for commenting on a thematically identical story that immediately followed various claims for thinking you intended the story to illustrate those claims.
We've already established that I don't write my posts according to whatever script you deem acceptable so you repeating what you think I should have said is also bonkers. What I did say when you queried the link was that you should read the link. I assume if I link to something and people want to quote my post that they would at least have the courtesy to read the link rather than picking out one line and fixating on it, especially when they have been told to read the link when they did fixate on one line. When you still kept fixating on that one line, I explicitly stated that the line about burning down a woman's house (I'm not sure she is dying in the story, just ill I think and therefore not up to chucking rubbish on Prophet Mohamed as he walked past) was not part of the traditional story and was added by the author of the link in reference to the consulate in Benghazi. Therefore it is bonkers that you are still fixated on this.
Which is different from claiming knowledge that is was a policy matter, but ok.
What I said was that you would have to take up the decision to suspend the teacher with the school as they made the decision to suspend in accordance with their own internal policies and disciplinary procedures. The school seems to have policies in relation to suspending teachers - for example the school caretaker presumably can't suspend a teacher, I would assume that the decision to suspend is taken by the head and there must be an internal school policy that governs how he makes this decision.

You’re prevaricating again. “Simple" and “simplistic” are not the same thing. The question is, “do you think “I’m offended by that” is ever justification for the denial of the right to express the thing at which the offence was taken?”. It’s simple inasmuch as the answer is binary: Y/N.

The minute you try an “it depends” you allow for the possibility that there could be cases when the degree of offence taken justifies the banning of the right to make the statement, so that’s a “yes”.
That is exactly what I was saying - in some cases yes.

“It depends” isn’t disagreeing from the start at all, but I’m glad you’re now saying that it doesn’t depend at all: we’re aligned then in thinking that there is no amount of offence taken that would justify the banning of the right to say something right?
You are mistaken. I am still saying it depends. 

You said “there is no amount of offence that could be taken that would justify the banning of expressing the statement, image etc that caused it” is the position you’re now disagreeing with right? I am disagreeing with your statement in speech marks because I think there are some things that are so offensive that it would justify banning the expressing of a statement or image - at least in public anyway.

No, but you do it seems have trouble understanding basic concepts. Zuckerberg was making a statement about commercial expediency and the way his business chooses to act. He wasn’t arguing for a philosophical principle. You though are being asked about that kind of statement: I’m not asking you how you’d run your business when addressing free speech issues; I’m asking you as a philosophical principle whether you think offence taken should ever justify banning free speech.
Zuckerberg was quoted as arguing that while he personally found “Holocaust denial deeply offensive” he believed that “the best way to fight offensive bad speech is with good speech.” He then changed his mind about allowing Holocaust denial posts to remain on FB (no doubt financial considerations had a lot to do with that but he is arguing from a philosophical perspective) and went on to say “My own thinking has evolved as I’ve seen data showing an increase in anti-Semitic violence, as have our wider policies on hate speech.”

So I echo what he says. If free speech results in an unacceptable level of hate crimes then I can see an argument for limiting free speech. I would also argue that in many cases people feeling offended is not a good enough reason to ban something, but I can see instances where it might be a good enough reason, if enough people feel offended by it. You think people's feelings never matter when it comes to free speech. I disagree, given people are not a bundle of abstract philosophical principles but are in fact emotional beings. I do not understand the logic of making rules for emotional people to live by that try to deny the emotions that influence their behaviour and thoughts. Your championing of free speech is itself based on your emotional reaction to situations where free speech is denied.

But you are, for the reason I just explained. Schools are part of society and if you let the cork out of the bottle by accepting offence taken as the justification for banning the right to free speech about a cartoon, then you have no argument to prevent the same justification of offence taken to prevent the expression of anything else. Your cartoon of Mohammed is someone else’s rainbow flag – it doesn’t matter once the underlying principle (that freedom of speech trumps offence taken) is abandoned. You can equivocate about this all you like by telling me you’d consider it on a case-by-case basis etc but actually the question is a matter of principle, not circumstances: when someone says to you “I want you Gabriella to ban the expression of X because I’m offended by it” would you throw then out before they got one word further or you wouldn’t you? Which is it?     
Schools may be a part of society but for many centuries now, we have different rules in school and for children compared to those in wider society for adults. So offensive cartoons in schools such as minorities drawn with bombs on their heads is a big no from me, given children are forced to share space with other children they can't away from and mindless bullying due to ignorance and immaturity is already an issue that is dealt with poorly. 

So no, I wouldn't throw anyone out before they got one word further because I think that's a really poorly thought through way of dealing with issues in society. I would have a conversation about it.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2021, 06:17:59 PM »
And just who, precisely and exactly has the teacher raped or murdered?
My post has not suggested the teacher murdered or raped anyone. My point was that just because some members of a group do something bad e.g. some British soldiers raping and murdering people, you would not assume that the rest of the British army would defend the behaviour of those soldiers. And they would probably say those soldiers are not representative of the British army's ethos. In the same way just because some Muslims make death threats, why would you assume that because I belong to the group "Muslims" that I would automatically defend their behaviour?

but you seem to me to be saying that because the offended are Muslim they are entitled, as per their religious rules, to murder anyone who offends against their religion in any way, shape, or form.
Given that's the complete opposite of what I am saying your powers of comprehension and interpretation are way off. Where have I said Muslims are entitled to make death threats let alone murder people? You would need to quote me to justify your statement.

I lost two friends to the Muslim who attacked the Orlando gay club - I didn't go out and murder two Muslims in revenge, I left the law to do the job!
Sorry for your loss.

It is the way Muslims seem to think that because the Koran tells them they can murder, at least I assume that is where they get their rules from, it is OK as long as they can state that their religion had been in some way attacked or offended by the person murdered! This was the reason given for Orlando, gays were an abomination unto Nuggan - Sorry, wrong deity, Islam!

Owlswing

)O(
Some Muslims might try to justify their criminal acts by saying the Koran tells them they can murder in certain circumstances according to their interpretation. The same way some British soldiers think the British army rules of engagement or the stress of combat situations allow them to murder.

You can't generalise from that that all Muslims or all British army soldiers think the same way.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2021, 06:20:03 PM »
OK OK OK! I aologise for my misinterpretation of the lady's posts!

Owlswing

)O(
Thanks. Apology accepted.

And thanks Trent for explaining my position to Owlswing.