Author Topic: Happy Easter  (Read 8433 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Happy Easter
« on: April 03, 2021, 11:08:03 AM »
A timely reminder of what we are celebrating - "Graves into Gardens"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwX1f2gYKZ4

Have a happy, joyful Easter And God bless us all  :)
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Robbie

Re: Happy Easter
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 11:22:03 AM »
Thank you, it's Easter tomorrow actually. I hope you have a happy one.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Roses

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 01:41:44 PM »
I hope Easter bunny is kind to everyone. :)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 02:10:15 PM »
A timely reminder of what we are celebrating - "Graves into Gardens" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwX1f2gYKZ4 Have a happy, joyful Easter And God bless us all  :)
Christos Anesti! Alleluia !
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 04:57:13 PM »
A timely reminder of what we are celebrating - "Graves into Gardens"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwX1f2gYKZ4

Have a happy, joyful Easter And God bless us all  :)
I think you may find that many people celebrating Easter are celebrating the coming Spring-time, as per the origin of the term Easter, which has absolutely nothing to do with christianity, and everything to do with celebration of the Spring.

So for those that claim the 'real' meaning of Christmas is the birth of Jesus (rather than the winter solstice) then you a being a touch hypocritical if you also claim the 'real' meaning of Easter is the resurrection story of Jesus.

The reality is that in both cases the christian 'meaning' has been (almost certainly deliberatively) mashed up with an older celebration of the seasons.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:29:38 PM »

Came across Śmigus-dyngus recently, in research for a zoom quiz:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Amigus-dyngus

"The celebration has been traced back to the 14th century but may have earlier, pre-Christian origins involving the celebration of the March equinox; the origins of the word dyngus are obscure as it may come from the German Dingeier ("the eggs that are owed") or Dingnis ("ransom"). The occurrence of the celebration across the Western Slavic and Lechitic nations, including Hungary, suggests a common origin in pagan mythology, most likely a link with the mythological Slavic goddesses of fertility"

"The festival is traditionally celebrated by boys throwing water over girls they like and spanking them with pussy willows. Boys would sneak into girls' homes at daybreak on Easter Monday and throw containers of water over them while they were still in bed."

Good fun, I expect... (for the boys anyway!)
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Alan Burns

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 11:35:27 PM »
I think you may find that many people celebrating Easter are celebrating the coming Spring-time, as per the origin of the term Easter, which has absolutely nothing to do with christianity, and everything to do with celebration of the Spring.
Yes, Spring is a celebration of new life.
Easter is a wonderful celebration to acknowledge the ultimate source of new life.

You may see that many of the 8000+ comments on this video are from ex drug addicts and alcoholics who have turned their graveyards into gardens through the power of the risen Jesus Christ.
A new life is there for anyone who chooses to follow Jesus.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 11:40:05 PM »
Christos Anesti! Alleluia !
Alithos Anesti!  :)

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »
Wishing all those celebrating it a Happy Easter.

G
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 09:15:40 AM »
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Spud

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
As the firstfruits were typical of the whole harvest (Leviticus 23:10-11), so is Christ. He rose, not to the exclusion but to the inclusion of all Humanity.
Ellicott's commentary on 1 Corinthians 15:20, "But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept'
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:12:06 AM by Spud »

Robbie

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 10:08:17 AM »
Alleluia!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »
Ellicott's commentary on 1 Corinthians 15:20, "But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept'

Amen!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »
'Happy Easter, Happy Spring, Happy Happy Everything'

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Owlswing

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 11:08:59 AM »

Post addressed to ProfesorDavey and Udayana

Thank you both for having posted what I wished to have done but could not find a way to express it with your knowledge and clarity.

Owlswing

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Enki

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 11:15:44 AM »
Saw this, liked it:

Happy Easter, Joyeuses Paques, Frohe Ostern, Happy Passover, Happy Ishtar

As a humanist you had me at 'Happy'.

Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Robbie

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 06:37:41 PM »
Spring, season of new beginnings.

ad_orientem

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 08:12:06 PM »

So for those that claim the 'real' meaning of Christmas is the birth of Jesus (rather than the winter solstice) then you a being a touch hypocritical if you also claim the 'real' meaning of Easter is the resurrection story of Jesus.

The reality is that in both cases the christian 'meaning' has been (almost certainly deliberatively) mashed up with an older celebration of the seasons.

Zzzz!
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Owlswing

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 11:18:14 PM »

I think you may find that many people celebrating Easter are celebrating the coming Spring-time, as per the origin of the term Easter, which has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, and everything to do with the celebration of the Spring.

The reality is that in both cases the Christian 'meaning' has been (almost certainly deliberatively) mashed up with an older celebration of the seasons.

Correct - the Pagan festival at this time of year is Ostara.

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 09:13:06 AM »
 Easter - or 'Pace' as it's sometimes called in Scotland, may well be bunged up with pre-Christian imagery, but, based as it is on the moveable feast of Passover - hence the coloquial name - it's about as Christian as you get.
Yes, the bunny nonsense is an American screw up of the hare - we know that...but the egg was first used to symbolise the stone which was rolled away in its groove,  by a writer in the fourth century.
There may be pagan imigary in the egg (is there a god of chocolate?), but there's very firm basis on Christology as well.
As for new birth?
I'm all for that, since it is only possible through the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus.

ekim

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 09:33:33 AM »
Thank you, it's Easter tomorrow actually. I hope you have a happy one.
.. unless you are Eastern Orthodox.  Orthodox Easter in 2021 is on Sunday, May 2, I believe.

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 10:56:45 AM »
Easter - or 'Pace' as it's sometimes called in Scotland, may well be bunged up with pre-Christian imagery, but, based as it is on the moveable feast of Passover - hence the coloquial name - it's about as Christian as you get.
Yes, the bunny nonsense is an American screw up of the hare - we know that...but the egg was first used to symbolise the stone which was rolled away in its groove,  by a writer in the fourth century.
There may be pagan imigary in the egg (is there a god of chocolate?), but there's very firm basis on Christology as well.
As for new birth?
I'm all for that, since it is only possible through the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus.

Excellent post, Jim. Yes, we are also celebrating Passover.

It is so important to acknowledge 'Christ is Risen' this is the fulfilment of his life's work.

I have put your post on 'Forum Best Bits' where it is truly deserved.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

ad_orientem

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 11:20:22 AM »

I don't think it should be of any surprise to anyone that pagan and Christian feasts often overlap. The pagans worshipped creation. Christians, on the other hand, worship the One who made creation. Creation points to the One who made it.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 12:04:07 PM »
As for new birth?

Chocolate was a gift from the feathered serpent, the god called Quetzalcoatl by the Aztecs. 

Quetzalcoatl was also borne by a virgin and human sacrifice was common in Aztec culture!

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now