Dusty, what's that?

Dusty Springfield - best singer ever.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Dusty
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 12:11:22 PM »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
Floo,

Are they male or female?
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 12:15:01 PM »
Floo,

Are they male or female?

Dear god - what planet have you been living on? She was female:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dusty_Springfield

God

Roses

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 12:27:23 PM »
Floo,

I have never had any interest in pop music, a horrible noise, imo. But getting back to the subject of flags, what has that woman got to do with them?
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Owlswing

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 12:51:00 PM »

Floo,

Good old Rusty Springboard! Is she still with us?

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 12:52:01 PM »
Good old Rusty Springboard! Is she still with us?

Owlswing

)O(

Sadly not. Left us in 1999.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

Dusty
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 01:44:43 PM »
Floo,

Response of the day. Ha ha ha.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 08:24:44 PM »
Floo,

I have never had any interest in pop music, a horrible noise, imo. But getting back to the subject of flags, what has that woman got to do with them?

Here’s Dusty singing “The Look of Love”. If you think that’s a horrible noise you have cloth ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf1d65OHYXo

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 08:57:40 PM »
Floo,

Here’s Dusty singing “The Look of Love”. If you think that’s a horrible noise you have cloth ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf1d65OHYXo
Or rather LR just hears things differently. Anyway flags...

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 09:22:27 PM »
NS,

Or rather LR just hears things differently. Anyway flags...

Ordinarily yes, but not in this case. Dusty being the greatest singer ever is an immutable law of the universe. You can no more disagree with that than you can disagree with gravity. If you don't believe me by the way, ask Trent – he knows.   

God

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 09:32:33 PM »
NS,

Ordinarily yes, but not in this case. Dusty being the greatest singer ever is an immutable law of the universe. You can no more disagree with that than you can disagree with gravity. If you don't believe me by the way, ask Trent – he knows.   

I don't want to disagree but I have to demur slightly. There are other singers I'm equally attached to - Ella Fitzgerald being the main one. It is all about the interpretation of the song. Dusty was a singer who really did seem to understand the true intent of whichever songwriter she was dealing with. There are very few popular singers who do that for me.

But Ella does that as well so she is up there and then some. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 10:06:05 PM »
Moderator This has been split from the Flags thread.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 10:07:22 PM »
Trent,

I don't want to disagree but I have to demur slightly. There are other singers I'm equally attached to - Ella Fitzgerald being the main one. It is all about the interpretation of the song. Dusty was a singer who really did seem to understand the true intent of whichever songwriter she was dealing with. There are very few popular singers who do that for me.

But Ella does that as well so she is up there and then some.

Ella I see as the consummate technician for sure, but there's something in Dusty's tone - that yearning intensity - I find no-one else can touch.

By the way, in my home office I have four original albums framed on the wall - one of them is "A Girl Called Dusty". 

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:23 PM »
NS,

No, LR,  and just note that is the pseudonym she prefers being used rather than previous ones, seems to hear a lot of music as painful. So the idea here just isn't even light heartedly arguable.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 10:15:33 PM »
NS,

No, LR,  and just note that is the pseudonym she refers being used rather than previous ones, seems to hear a lot of music as painful. So the idea here just isn't even light heartedly arguable.

LR/Floo is free to object to if she wishes to, and in any case as she said “I have never had any interest in pop music, a horrible noise, imo…” it didn’t seem unreasonable to reply in like mode.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 10:18:25 PM »
The idea of interpretation is a fascinating one, that I have mentioned before on the How Long thread summaries. When trying to assign a classic song, particularly from the Great American Songbook, it's so often a toss up between Frank and Ella, but there are some such as The Way You Look Tonight (Fred) or My Funny Valentine (Chet) where a less gifted singer takes it.

Dusty is one of the all time great singers but her version of indeed Dionne Warwicks version of Anyone Who Heart does not stand up to Cilla's rawness.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 10:19:33 PM »
NS,

LR/Floo is free to object to if she wishes to, and in any case as she said “I have never had any interest in pop music, a horrible noise, imo…” it didn’t seem unreasonable to reply in like mode.
She has objected in the past. Just helping you out.

SusanDoris

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 07:57:15 AM »
This is more than somewhat tangential and if too much so, please let me know and I will delete.

Reading above posts - and of course I now have 'Anyone who has a heart ...' running in the background of my mind :) - I am thinking of Barbra Streisand too; and then that links to the fact that I happened to turn to Radio 2 on Sunday evening to hear that it was a repeat of a 'Friday night is music night' programme featuring the music of Marvin Hamlisch, and of course I had to stay with that, and Barbra Streisand's name came up because of 'The way we were'.

Which leads me to the question: Does anyone know if Marvin Hamlisch's education at the Juilliard School of Music was a full-time one, with the regular school curriculum being taught as well as the focus on music? It does appear so, but I can't find the exact info. He won a scholarship at the age of 7 with his playing of 'Goodnight, Irene' and playing it in different keys without hesitation.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »
Floo/LR has stated several times in the past that she does not react to music as most others do. I have interpreted this as meaning that she has some degree of amusica - a neurological condition similar to alexia/dyslexia. if so then it reasonable to accept that she has no idea of Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien might possibly be.

I do have a friend who tells me that music has no meaning for him - so LR is not alone. For me, music is a central to my being. A world without music would not be worth living in.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
if so then it reasonable to accept that she has no idea of Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien might possibly be.

I have an aversion to football but can still name the major players from my youth. I would have thought through a process of cultural osmosis she would at least have recognised the name.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 09:50:56 AM »
I have an aversion to football but can still name the major players from my youth. I would have thought through a process of cultural osmosis she would at least have recognised the name.

Leaving out Dusty - yes, blasphemy, I know - you mentioned football.
Every Scot on this forum will be heartily sick of the flag wavers (seewotIdidthere) in an Old Firm game, or the aftermath thereof.
The amount of Irish Tricolours and Union flags on display would make the average Martian think this was some kind of international match.
Sadly, this is not the case.

"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Enki

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 11:17:33 AM »
For the record, I have a range of favourite women singers,  from Sarah Vaughn to Ella Fitzgerald, and including on the way Billie Holiday, Amy Winehouse, Dusty Springfield, just to name a few. Often, for me, it is a case of a particular singer who is suited to a particular number, but some, like Ella, are so versatile, that they have produced a range of superb records over many years. I have the complete set of Ella Fitzgerald Song Books. Magnificent. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Robbie

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 12:27:30 PM »
She started off with The Springfields, a group including her brother or brothers. My parents were fans and I used to hear them play 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles', great song.

Dusty was instrumental in bringingTamla Motown to the UK.

She had no connection to 'The Simpsons'.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest