Author Topic: Duke of Edinburgh dead.  (Read 4193 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Duke of Edinburgh dead.
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2021, 01:21:07 PM »
No, I would still have complained, and I suspect pretty much all the other people who did would have. I would have had no problem if BBC 1, BBC News, and Radio 4 had covered it throughout the day as they did.
That is exactly my view too.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2021, 01:25:05 PM »
I'd still have complained.

The issue isn't that the story wasn't newsworthy and merited some coverage but that the BBC, by streaming the same feed simultaneously on multiple channels, didn't provide an alternative for license fee payers, and especially those who don't subscribe to cable TV or Netflix/Prime Video. That there are these alternatives is irrelevant to the decision taken by BBC management to indulge in an OTT exercise in sycophantic virtue signalling, no doubt in case they were ever criticised for not being sufficiently sycophantic (as was, iirc, the case when the Queen's mother died a dew years ago).

It's not just the BBC that are being sycophantic though - the moving of sporting events on Saturday, so that nobody is professionally kicking a ball or riding a racehorse while a certain family funeral is taking place, is also an overreaction
There is also another really worrying aspect.

No got much publicity, but all campaigning for the various elections at the beginning of May has been suspended until after the funeral. So 8 days of campaigning has been lost. And campaigns are important within our democratic process to set out manifestos and have them challenged. To lose over a week of campaigning is a real challenge to the democratic process and while many of the elections aren't particularly critical, the one in Scotland could be key in determining whether the UK as we know it exists in a few years time.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2021, 01:34:51 PM »

No got much publicity, but all campaigning for the various elections at the beginning of May has been suspended until after the funeral. So 8 days of campaigning has been lost. And campaigns are important within our democratic process to set out manifestos and have them challenged. To lose over a week of campaigning is a real challenge to the democratic process and while many of the elections aren't particularly critical, the one in Scotland could be key in determining whether the UK as we know it exists in a few years time.

That isn't the case here in Scotland though: campaigning restarted today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56717776

Just to add that the second party leader's debate, this time on STV, goes ahead tonight as planned.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:44:14 PM by Gordon »

Owlswing

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »

No got much publicity, but all campaigning for the various elections at the beginning of May has been suspended until after the funeral. So 8 days of campaigning have been lost. And campaigns are important within our democratic process to set out manifestos and have them challenged. To lose over a week of campaigning is a real challenge to the democratic process and while many of the elections aren't particularly critical, the one in Scotland could be key in determining whether the UK as we know it exists in a few years' time.

The real impact of a successful majority vote for Scottish Independence being actioned, and the same with similar Welsh and NI votes should they occur in the future will be the ways in which those independent areas decide to punish the arrogant English for insults real and imagined inflicted during their time as parts of the (so-called) United Kingdom.

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2021, 01:46:55 PM »

Just to add that the second party leader's debate, this time on STV, goes ahead tonight as planned.
I hadn't realised that, but good to hear.

Actually I think that campaigning across the country has resumed so I got it wrong that it was to be suspended during the 'official' mourning period, although I sure I'd read this somewhere over the weekend.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:51:48 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2021, 03:23:24 PM »

I have to admit to feeling uncomfortable at Sturgeon doing the Covid briefing today with the good news being released that more people can meet up outside from the weekend.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator