Author Topic: Duke of Edinburgh dead.  (Read 4205 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Duke of Edinburgh dead.
« on: April 09, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »
https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/09/prince-philip-dead-duke-of-edinburgh-dies-aged-99-7740354/
He's done a Grace. She was an old dear at my church who died in 2019, a few months short of her 100th birthday.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:56:50 AM by will.i.eckaslike »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Duke of Edinburgh dead.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 12:30:46 PM »
https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/09/prince-philip-dead-duke-of-edinburgh-dies-aged-99-7740354/
He's done a Grace. She was an old dear at my church who died in 2019, a few months short of her 100th birthday.
Disgracefully shallow and unstatesmanly performance from our ''looks like a sack of shit tied up in the middle'', scruffy PM.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 12:34:14 PM »
So half the press officers in the land will have switched their laptops off, and said 'That's me for the day', and the other half will be running around trying to find some bad news to put out. 

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »
Disgracefully shallow and unstatesmanly performance from our ''looks like a sack of shit tied up in the middle'', scruffy PM.
What's he done?
Tony Blair did his reputation a bit of good when Diana handed in her diner-pail in '97, with a surprisingly moving off-the-cuff comment. I can't imaging Boris doing the same - "Cripes! Old Phil's gone and snuffed it! Time for Bojo to apply the old comb to the barnet, get out the black tie, and look sad! Carrie - find me a black tie, there's a good girl!"
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 12:52:11 PM »
Not entirely sure why BBC1 and BBC2 are showing the same programme of news about it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 01:10:49 PM »
And it's on all BBC radio channels. It's also grating the number of times I am being told how I feel about it.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »
You'd better get used to it - we're going to have weeks and weeks of fawning bollocks in all media.
I wonder how they'll manage the funeral? Normally, it'd be heads of state and government packing the Abbey to the gunwales, but with Covid, they won't be able to do that.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »
Old man dies - how unusual is that then!

Thank goodness for cable TV, Netflix and Prime video over the next few days - and this afternoons horse racing is, thankfully, unaffected.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
 I can recall the old duffer speaking to a CofS Science, religion and technonology seminar about conserving endangered species...a laudavle speech.
He spoiled it by going back to Balmoral and blasting everything in sight with the possible exception of Chairlie.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 01:52:14 PM »
You'd better get used to it - we're going to have weeks and weeks of fawning bollocks in all media.
I wonder how they'll manage the funeral? Normally, it'd be heads of state and government packing the Abbey to the gunwales, but with Covid, they won't be able to do that.
Some details here

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/operation-forth-bridge-what-happens-after-death-of-prince-philip/ar-BB1fsZzc

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 02:08:53 PM »
and he was only weeks away from receiving a telegram from the Queen.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
First daft comment on the death of Prince Phiilip. One minute silence observed at Aintree but the racehorses were still being lead around to limber up. One snorted and the commentator on Sky News said "and the horses obviously unaware"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:36:44 PM by Nearly Sane »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 04:20:58 PM »
And it's on all BBC radio channels. It's also grating the number of times I am being told how I feel about it.

I could understand one BBC channel .. but this is ridiculous...
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 05:06:52 PM »
I could understand one BBC channel .. but this is ridiculous...

Or even one TV and one radio channel but all of them is just stupid.

BBC - Make A Complaint.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 05:52:54 PM »
And speaking of the press coverage, is there any job more facile, pointless and content-free than "royal commentator"?

Radio 4 now reduced to interviewing people who have done the Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme by the way...  ::)

"Don't make me come down there."

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 06:28:06 PM »
And speaking of the press coverage, is there any job more facile, pointless and content-free than "royal commentator"?

Radio 4 now reduced to interviewing people who have done the Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme by the way...  ::)
I qualify to be interviewed then

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 06:31:50 PM »
NS,

I qualify to be interviewed then

I'll find you their number then (surprised they haven't found yours already tbh). Be careful though – there seems to be a clause that all interviewees must use the word "extraordinary" at least twice.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »
NS,

I'll find you their number then (surprised they haven't found yours already tbh). Be careful though – there seems to be a clause that all interviewees must use the word "extraordinary" at least twice.
I ticked the No Publicity box when I did the award

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 08:03:25 PM »
The OTT reaction on BBC/STV/C4/News channels is plain silly now, as is the implied presumption that we are all greatly affected by the death of this old man.

It seems like a strange take on Parkinson's Law, where what we are seeing now is mindless sycophancy expanding to fill all the available broadcasting time on certain channels.   

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 08:05:37 PM »
The OTT reaction on BBC/STV/C4/News channels is plain silly now, as is the implied presumption that we are all greatly affected by the death of this old man.

It seems like a strange take on Parkinson's Law, where what we are seeing now is mindless sycophancy expanding to fill all the available broadcasting time on certain channels.
Channel 4 showed mostly their normal programming

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 08:35:31 PM »
Channel 4 showed mostly their normal programming

Yes you're right about C4, and they've now been criticised for not wholly abandoning their planned schedule.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/channel-4-comes-under-fire-23886285

That the BBC are broadcasting the same feed on BBC1, BBC2, the separate BBC Scotland channel and the BBC news channel does seem excessive, and it seems they are receiving so many complaints they've set up fast track method of complaining.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/death-duke-of-edinburgh-tv-coverage/#/Notification

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 09:53:11 PM »
Tweet from one of Channel 4 reps
'Today on Channel 4 we broadcast a 30 minute news special shortly after the Duke of Edinburgh's death was announced; an in-depth obituary at 4pm and there'll be an extended

@Channel4News

at 7. C4 also has a duty to offer an alternative to other channels hence a return to schedule.'

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 11:20:56 PM »
Good news for florist's shops.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 11:38:03 PM »
Good news for florist's shops.
sensibly the RF have said give to charity not buy flowers.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2021, 12:00:35 AM »
I don't know why they keep repeating the same programmes over and over again but on the other hand I find historical stuff interesting. Phil actually seems to have had a pretty interesting childhood and life. I quite like him now I know more about him. 
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi