Author Topic: Duke of Edinburgh dead.  (Read 4227 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Duke of Edinburgh dead.
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2021, 12:07:41 AM »
I don't know why they keep repeating the same programmes over and over again but on the other hand I find historical stuff interesting. Phil actually seems to have had a pretty interesting childhood and life. I quite like him now I know more about him.
Do you 'on the other hand find it interesting' to be repeated multiple times on multiple channels?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 12:12:01 AM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2021, 09:00:35 AM »
sensibly the RF have said give to charity not buy flowers.
True, but they are being ignored. The flowers are already being left outside Buck House, apparently.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 02:34:32 PM by Nearly Sane »

SusanDoris

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2021, 02:02:04 PM »
I don't know why they keep repeating the same programmes over and over again but on the other hand I find historical stuff interesting. Phil actually seems to have had a pretty interesting childhood and life. I quite like him now I know more about him.
There's a book by Giles Brandreth, published 2004 whose name I can't remember, which gives a much more personal view of the Duke and the Queen and their relationship.  I recommend it. He does of course come into Lady Ann Tennant's book, 'Lady in Waiting' and I recommend that too.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
More comment on the OTT reaction of some channels, and the BBC in particular.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/apr/10/bbc-flooded-with-complaints-over-prince-philip-coverage

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2021, 09:13:35 PM »
Do you 'on the other hand find it interesting' to be repeated multiple times on multiple channels?
Um...no. It's a bit of a weird thing to do to keep repeating the same programme on multiple channels. given how many people are ambivalent about the Royal Family. But I was impressed with his tenacity and motivation and sacrifice of his naval career, which he appears to have been good at. I also enjoyed listening to the stories about his politically incorrect jokes.

The comment about slitty eyes is the kind of thing you would hear in Sri Lanka these days, given the huge loans (plus bribes) to the government from China that the government have no chance of repaying, and presence of Chinese workers.

The fuse box that looked "as if it was put in by an Indian" is another funny comment that would probably be uttered by Indians themselves. My parents have a flat in India and it is really difficult / impossible for them to find any contractors who are actually recommended by anyone. Everyone complains about the shoddy job/ lack of attention to detail or lack of common sense of the contractors and their workers and how they need to be constantly supervised to prevent exactly what Philip was talking about. Of course they are less likely to be that lax here as the regulations and certification is stricter, especially around electrical work. Not to say you don't get cowboys here too.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2021, 06:59:02 AM »
I've changed the thread title, because the original was, on reflection, a bit childish, and not altogether accurate.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Robbie

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 09:17:14 AM »

I read somewhere that people were complaining about that but there were loads of channels, free, that had other things on. I flicked through them on Friday night and had I not wanted to watch something about the Duke of Edinburgh, it wouldn't have been difficult to choose something else. As it was I really liked the programmes.

The complainers make me wonder can nobody put up with the slightest inconvenience for a short while? Yesterday all was virtually back to normal.

I found the programmes about him fascinating &would watch some again.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2021, 09:37:39 AM »
Robbie my main gripe wasn't that there was too much coverage (although there was - 99 year old man dies - shocker!). My main problem was BBC1 and BBC2 showed exactly the same coverage all day.

Surely one of the two channels could have maintained normal broadcasting. I really don't think anyone could have missed the fact that he had died, and certainly no-one these days remains tuned to one channel all day. If they felt it absolutely necessary a banner could have been run along the bottom as they did on BBC4 advising people of a major news item.

And yes I could have watched a rerun of A Place in the Sun for the hundredth time on REally, but really should I have to?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2021, 10:43:45 AM »
I read somewhere that people were complaining about that but there were loads of channels, free, that had other things on. I flicked through them on Friday night and had I not wanted to watch something about the Duke of Edinburgh, it wouldn't have been difficult to choose something else.
The point is about the same coverage across multiple channels. I have no particular issue (albeit see below) with the BBC covering the death, but there is no justification whatsoever for it to be on multiple channels that are all universally available. The most appropriate place for such news, would be the BBC News channel, but I understand that there will still be a relatively small number of people who only get the five analogue channels, so I guess it would have to be either BBC 1 or 2, but not both - plus the News channel etc.

As it was I really liked the programmes.
Fine - no-one is stopping you watching it. But did you watch the programmes simultaneously on both BBC1 and 2 (and the News channel!). The issue isn't about you being able to watch coverage about the Duke but others being able to choose not to - and by blanket covering across all channels the BBC was effectively saying you shouldn't be able to watch anything else. It cannot control other broadcasters, but that's the message it sent for the channels it controls.

The complainers make me wonder can nobody put up with the slightest inconvenience for a short while? Yesterday all was virtually back to normal.
But it is an unnecessary inconvenience - the BBC could have had the coverage on one channel only. And it isn't really the inconvenience but the impression that we should be interested and watching the coverage and the BBC will make sure you cannot watch anything else on its channels. That, in my opinion, is wrong - and as much as the BBC gets lots right it really is poor when covering the 'establishment' in various forms (including the Royals and religion), in part because I think it sees itself as part of the establishment too and therefore cannot be a dispassionate observer.

Fine - no one is stopping you - but the BBC was stopping anyone who didn't want to watch its programmes from watching anything else on its channels.

But there is a broader issue - in reality there was hardly any actual news - the Duke has died - that's it, until there are details of funeral etc there is no more news. So most of the coverage wasn't actually news, but obituary/remembrance pieces. And those were unflinchingly (but understandably) biased. You aren't going to say anything bad about a person who has just died so the wall to wall coverage completely glossed over his controversial side - his jaw-dropping comments, that happened with monotonous regularity. At best there were some euphemisms (he spoke his mind - nope at times he was rude and deeply offensive in comments made during public duties). Indeed I heard one fawning commentator say he has always diplomatic (I mean WTF!).

And of course the coverage (certainly what I heard) never touched on the broader issue of royalty vs republicanism - in effect why are we celebrating this man in the first place.

So my point is that if you are going to give wall to wall coverage of a person's life surely you need to be balanced in you view. But of course the time to be balanced (and therefore report the bad stuff) probably isn't when a person has just died, so better not to give wall to wall, but completely unbalanced coverage.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:53:18 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2021, 11:26:33 AM »
I read somewhere that people were complaining about that but there were loads of channels, free, that had other things on. I flicked through them on Friday night and had I not wanted to watch something about the Duke of Edinburgh, it wouldn't have been difficult to choose something else. As it was I really liked the programmes.

It was a legitimate news story but in the case of the BBC, and bearing in mind we all have to pay a fee by default whether we like it or not, it was no more that fawning sycophancy that they showed exactly the same feed on all their channels simultaneously: presumably the received wisdom was that anyone tuning into the BBC should be force-fed monarchic propaganda - and pay for it too.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2021, 12:06:28 PM »
I think they must have run out of repeats to put on R4 Extra?

Surely they could just repeat all the Prince Philip obits?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

SusanDoris

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2021, 12:43:30 PM »
The point is about the same coverage across multiple channels. I have no particular issue (albeit see below) with the BBC covering the death, but there is no justification whatsoever for it to be on multiple channels that are all universally available. The most appropriate place for such news, would be the BBC News channel, but I understand that there will still be a relatively small number of people who only get the five analogue channels, so I guess it would have to be either BBC 1 or 2, but not both - plus the News channel etc.
Fine - no-one is stopping you watching it. But did you watch the programmes simultaneously on both BBC1 and 2 (and the News channel!). The issue isn't about you being able to watch coverage about the Duke but others being able to choose not to - and by blanket covering across all channels the BBC was effectively saying you shouldn't be able to watch anything else. It cannot control other broadcasters, but that's the message it sent for the channels it controls.
But it is an unnecessary inconvenience - the BBC could have had the coverage on one channel only. And it isn't really the inconvenience but the impression that we should be interested and watching the coverage and the BBC will make sure you cannot watch anything else on its channels. That, in my opinion, is wrong - and as much as the BBC gets lots right it really is poor when covering the 'establishment' in various forms (including the Royals and religion), in part because I think it sees itself as part of the establishment too and therefore cannot be a dispassionate observer.
Fine - no one is stopping you - but the BBC was stopping anyone who didn't want to watch its programmes from watching anything else on its channels.

But there is a broader issue - in reality there was hardly any actual new - the Duke has died - that's it, until there are details of funeral etc there is no more news. So most of the coverage wasn't actually news, but obituary/remembrance pieces. And those were unflinchingly (but understandably) biased. You aren't going to say anything bad about a person who has just died so the wall to wall coverage completely glossed over his controversial side - his jaw-dropping comments, that happened with monotonous regularity. At best there were some euphemisms (he spoke his mind - nope at times he was rude and deeply offensive in comments made during public duties). Indeed I heard one fawning commentator say he has always diplomatic (I mean WTF!).

And of course the coverage (certainly what I heard) never touched on the broader issue of royalty vs republicanism - in effect why are we celebrating this man in the first place.

So my point is that if you are going to give wall to wall coverage of a person's life surely you need to be balanced in you view. But of course the time to be balanced (and therefore report the bad stuff) probably isn't when a person has just died, so better not to give wall to wall, but completely unbalanced coverage.
Well, if that isn't one of the most one-sided, biased posts, I don't know what is!!

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »
Well, if that isn't one of the most one-sided, biased posts, I don't know what is!!
How is it biased?

SusanDoris

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2021, 01:03:40 PM »
How is it biased?
Perhaps I chose the wrong word, but I thought the post seemed to reflect your own views on the monarchy etc which I thought counts as bias.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2021, 02:22:56 PM »
Perhaps I chose the wrong word, but I thought the post seemed to reflect your own views on the monarchy etc which I thought counts as bias.
So if having a view on the monarchy counts as being biased, then aren't we all biased as most of us have a view on the monarchy.

Or are you only biased if you aren't uncritically supportive of the monarchy?

But if you read my post you will note that I offered no personal views on the monarchy as an institution - so perhaps you inferring views that I did not offer suggests a level of bias on your part Susan.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:42:21 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Robbie

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2021, 05:48:06 PM »
Trent:- Robbie my main gripe wasn't that there was too much coverage (although there was - 99 year old man dies - shocker!). My main problem was BBC1 and BBC2 showed exactly the same coverage all day.
I didn't know about all day, was working. I saw that was the case in the evening which, frankly, I expected but there were other channels showing 'normal' stuff. I flicked through them all to see what was on.

It was only for one day anyway and the 'prince' programmes were pretty interesting in my opinion.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2021, 06:56:41 PM »
Trent:- Robbie my main gripe wasn't that there was too much coverage (although there was - 99 year old man dies - shocker!). My main problem was BBC1 and BBC2 showed exactly the same coverage all day.
I didn't know about all day, was working. I saw that was the case in the evening which, frankly, I expected but there were other channels showing 'normal' stuff. I flicked through them all to see what was on.

It was only for one day anyway and the 'prince' programmes were pretty interesting in my opinion.
And it wasn't just that BBC1 and 2 were showing exactly the same thing. BBC News was (not unreasonably) wall to wall DofE, but I gather they basically pulled BBC4. So they were supposed to be showing a women's football match but instead they just showed a black test card with the caption 'Programmes on BBC Four have been suspended. Please switch to BBC One for a major news report'. And also all BBC radio channels also had their normal schedules suspended.

What other broadcasters did is irrelevant - we are discussing the response of the BBC. In my opinion they got it badly wrong, effectively preventing people from watching or listening to anything other than coverage of the Duke's death on their broadcast content. I think they got it badly wrong, and so it would appear do swathes of others given the deluge of complaints they've received. We are in 2021 not the 1950s ... and not in the type of country where the state broadcasters expect all the populace to be suitably reverential when a 'dear leader' dies. Or so I thought - maybe I was wrong on both counts.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2021, 07:04:11 PM »
And it wasn't just that BBC1 and 2 were showing exactly the same thing. BBC News was (not unreasonably) wall to wall DofE, but I gather they basically pulled BBC4. So they were supposed to be showing a women's football match but instead they just showed a black test card with the caption 'Programmes on BBC Four have been suspended. Please switch to BBC One for a major news report'. And also all BBC radio channels also had their normal schedules suspended.

BBC Scotland channel as well

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2021, 10:42:56 PM »
First of all, I am not a monarchist. I would like whatever  becomes of the United Kingdom to become a republic with a non-executive president. I do consider that the present monarch has been an exceptional holder of that post ... but it is time that the nation moved on.

As far as the BBC and its response to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh is concerned, I suspect that the BBC  was playing a careful game. The BBC is possibly the best known and possibly most respected broadcasting and news organisation in the world. However, the BBC is operating in a political landscape in which its every move is scrutinised, its funding resented and, in a system which knows the price of everything and the value of nothing is probably very unfavourably compared with Netflix.

I suspect the the BBC deliberately decided to treat the death Prince Philip in the manner it did because to do otherwise would delivered the corporation into the hands of the Tory right wing who would have used its behaviour as justification to emasculate, dismember and sell its remains to the highest bidders (possibly from China). Consequently it considered that its only possible reaction to the news would be to lead the national mourning.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:45:09 PM by Harrowby Hall »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2021, 11:06:25 PM »
First of all, I am not a monarchist. I would like whatever  becomes of the United Kingdom to become a republic with a non-executive president. I do consider that the present monarch has been an exceptional holder of that post ... but it is time that the nation moved on.

As far as the BBC and its response to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh is concerned, I suspect that the BBC  was playing a careful game. The BBC is possibly the best known and possibly most respected broadcasting and news organisation in the world. However, the BBC is operating in a political landscape in which its every move is scrutinised, its funding resented and, in a system which knows the price of everything and the value of nothing is probably very unfavourably compared with Netflix.

I suspect the the BBC deliberately decided to treat the death Prince Philip in the manner it did because to do otherwise would delivered the corporation into the hands of the Tory right wing who would have used its behaviour as justification to emasculate, dismember and sell its remains to the highest bidders (possibly from China). Consequently it considered that its only possible reaction to the news would be to lead the national mourning.
They gave up their virginity to save their virginity

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2021, 11:30:25 PM »

Well said, Robbie
I found that the coverage gave me a fascinating insight into many aspects of his life which I was previously unaware of.
I shook hands with him once at the CNAA awards in the Queen Elizabeth hall many years ago - watched by my proud mum and dad .  :)
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Robbie

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2021, 03:02:01 AM »
Good morning Alan and all. Something outside just woke me, it's usually fairly quiet here. Husband went back to sleep but I can't.

OK I get this is not about television generally but the BBC specifically. It didn't bother me because I'm not tied to the BBC but obviously bothered others. However Friday is gone and there haven't been many HRH programmes since (ch4 old one last evening was quite good), so it's over now. Eastenders will be on as usual this evening. We can find something else to moan about like rugby.

I'm going to sit here with my hot chocolate and watch something on iplayer......guess what?  ;)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
National Rail tweet

National Rail

@nationalrailenq

·

3h

The National Rail website has been temporarily greyscaled as a mark of respect following the death of HRH Duke of Edinburgh. We are listening to feedback about how people are using the website and are making further changes today to make it more accessible to all our customers.