Author Topic: Eyewitness reliability examined in a real-life setting  (Read 26343 times)

Spud

Re: Eyewitness reliability examined in a real-life setting
« Reply #375 on: April 30, 2021, 07:05:29 PM »
Let's just concentrate on Mark, because in Mark's story, nothing supernatural happens. We can both agree that it describes events that could have happened. i.e. the women go to the tomb. Jesus' body is gone. A man there tells them that he rose from the dead. We all not agree on why Jesus' body was missing, but we can ignore that for the purpose of this discussion.

I can think of a couple of reasons why Mark would write that the people who discovered the body missing were women:

1. he is describing events that actually happened.

2. he wants to make the narrative as plausible as possible.

In the latter case, he needs a reason for people to go to the tomb. He chooses preparing the body for burial as his reason and once he has done that, the people in question would have to be women because it would be implausible that it would be men doing that kind of work.

The criterion of embarrassment doesn't work because we don't know what the early Christians were embarrassed about. The only way we can tell is by seeing what they wrote about and assuming the what they wrote about are the things they are not embarrassed about. That includes women discovering the resurrection first.
Fair point about women discovering the tomb first. What about the more obvious example of embarrassment in Peter's betrayal, with which the later instruction by the young man at the tomb to go and tell the disciples 'and Peter' agrees? So we have a clear confirmation of the embarrassment criteria and internal consistency of the text.
There's also another point about the criterion of embarrassment. If you are fabricating a story, it adds credibility to put in some details that are embarrassing. People assume that, if you are making stuff up, you wouldn't put embarrassing details in, so to convince them you are not making it up, put embarrassing details in.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #376 on: May 01, 2021, 07:20:41 AM »
So did I. A pretty good argument, I thought.
It's logically contradictory. If you're fully god, there's no part of you that is not god and yet you are arguing that Jesus was also fully human.

There are also other logical contradictions. For example, it's impossible to be both omniscient and omnipotent and omniscience is incompatible with free will. Then we've got the problem of squaring omnibenevolence, omnipotence and the Universe that actually exists. And we haven't even got to the incoherence of Christian doctrine yet.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #377 on: May 01, 2021, 07:31:41 AM »
So did I. A pretty good argument, I thought.
It's logically contradictory. If you're fully god, there's no part of you that is not god and yet you are arguing that Jesus was also fully human.

There are also other logical contradictions. For example, it's impossible to be both omniscient and omnipotent and omniscience is incompatible with free will. Then we've got the problem of squaring omnibenevolence, omnipotence and the Universe that actually exists. And we haven't even got to the incoherence of Christian doctrine yet.

I've already rebutted the objection to the condition of" both... and."
 Omnibenevolence is point of view stuff and imv has no place in an argument next to omniscience and omnipotence which I have previously explained are mainly philosophical constructs.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 07:37:57 AM by DePfeffelred the Ovenready »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #378 on: May 01, 2021, 08:20:13 PM »
Vlad,

To my recollection you’ve never rebutted anything here, nor for that matter even tried to. By all means though show me to be wrong this time and tell us where you did that.

Omnibenevolence is point of view stuff…

Like being “just” is you mean?

…and imv has no place in an argument next to omniscience and omnipotence which I have previously explained are mainly philosophical constructs.

Again you’ve never actually explained anything here but, nonetheless, if you want to tell us why labelling omniscience and omnipotence “philosophical constructs” digs you out of the hole they give you by all means give it a try.

While you’re about it by the way, you may want to consider too telling us how you propose to make the jump from the characteristics necessary for universe creators to the other characteristics also necessary for your god – the omnis, eternality, singularity, intervention in human affairs, access to an afterlife etc. You know, the problem you’ve blithely just ignored every time it’s been raised.

"Don't make me come down there."

God

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #379 on: May 01, 2021, 08:49:44 PM »
Fair point about women discovering the tomb first. What about the more obvious example of embarrassment in Peter's betrayal, with which the later instruction by the young man at the tomb to go and tell the disciples 'and Peter' agrees? So we have a clear confirmation of the embarrassment criteria and internal consistency of the text.

What evidence do you have for the early Christians being embarrassed about that?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #380 on: May 01, 2021, 08:51:46 PM »
No you haven't. You did some handwaving.

Omnibenevolence is point of view stuff and imv has no place in an argument next to omniscience and omnipotence which I have previously explained are mainly philosophical constructs.
The contradiction stands If God loves us he can't possibly be omnipotent.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #381 on: May 01, 2021, 10:20:24 PM »
No you haven't. You did some handwaving.
That was just me waving good bye to some atheist objections to a creator of the universe and if you were to look closely you may even have seen me dabbing my eyes with a little lace handkerchief. Gordon and I discussed the ''both/and'' thing on another thread.
The contradiction stands If God loves us he can't possibly be omnipotent.
What an interesting suggestion. I see omnipotence as a bit of a philosophical construct and the other hand that he loves us he has er, omnipotently put aside his omnipotence.

I think you are rather saying that if God were omnipotent he would be forced to act in a certain way. That doesn't sound like omnipotence to me.

I think the Anselmian formula, where God is maximally potent, or maximally knowing or maximally loving, is quite interesting.

Spud

« Reply #382 on: May 02, 2021, 12:09:59 PM »
What evidence do you have for the early Christians being embarrassed about that?
None, but the point is that the gospel writers themselves would be unlikely to invent a story that shamed one of the apostles. I don't really understand the argument against this. I can see how potentially it could be made up to make the Gospel more authentic or as a cover up for a greater misdeed, but the 'criteria of embarrassment' isn't on its own meant to be absolute proof. As Wikipedia's entry on it says, "The criterion of embarrassment has its limitations and is almost always used in concert with the other criteria"  ("the criterion of dissimilarity, criterion of language and environment, criterion of coherence, and the criterion of multiple attestation.")

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #383 on: May 02, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
None,
So the criterion of embarrassment collapses.
but the point is that the gospel writers themselves would be unlikely to invent a story that shamed one of the apostles.
But you just said that you have no evidence of that.

I don't really understand the argument against this. I can see how potentially it could be made up to make the Gospel more authentic or as a cover up for a greater misdeed, but the 'criteria of embarrassment' isn't on its own meant to be absolute proof. As Wikipedia's entry on it says, "The criterion of embarrassment has its limitations and is almost always used in concert with the other criteria"  ("the criterion of dissimilarity, criterion of language and environment, criterion of coherence, and the criterion of multiple attestation.")

You're arguing it is evidence of the authenticity of at least one element of the gospels. We need to test your argument.

One final point: how did anybody know the story? Peter was the only one in possession of all the details.

Spud

« Reply #384 on: May 02, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »
So the criterion of embarrassment collapses.But you just said that you have no evidence of that.
Right, but if I were attempting to attract people to my religious leader (ie Peter), I wouldn't advertise him as being a deserter.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:24:53 PM by Spud »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #385 on: May 02, 2021, 03:17:14 PM »
Right, but if I were attempting to attract people to my religious leader (ie Peter), I wouldn't advertise him as being a deserter.
Yes, but you are not one of the gospel writers and Peter wasn't their religious leader.

BeRational

« Reply #386 on: May 02, 2021, 03:20:14 PM »

Why not, it fooled you.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »
Vlad,

That was just me waving good bye to some atheist objections to a creator of the universe and if you were to look closely you may even have seen me dabbing my eyes with a little lace handkerchief.

The only waving you’re capable of here is waving at the arguments that justify atheism as they pass 30,000 odd feet above your head. Your latest effort (“universe creators = gods”) is in tatters for reasons that have been set out for you at some length, yet you’ve ignored every rebuttal and blithely carried on with the same mistakes as if nothing had happened. What do you get from this dishonesty?

Gordon and I discussed the ''both/and'' thing on another thread.

That may be so, but you didn’t actually rebut anything there either – which was your claim remember?

What an interesting suggestion. I see omnipotence as a bit of a philosophical construct and the other hand that he loves us he has er, omnipotently put aside his omnipotence.

How do you think incoherence will help you?

I think you are rather saying that if God were omnipotent he would be forced to act in a certain way. That doesn't sound like omnipotence to me.

No, he’s saying that if you want to claim the “omnis” that gives you an immediate problem because they contradict each other.

I think the Anselmian formula, where God is maximally potent, or maximally knowing or maximally loving, is quite interesting.

Why? Is “maximally” your weasel out of your “omnis” problem and, if it is, then presumably it must entail a god with limitations. Is that what you now want to claim to exist?   

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #388 on: May 02, 2021, 11:11:08 PM »
Vlad,

The only waving you’re capable of here is waving at the arguments that justify atheism as they pass 30,000 odd feet above your head. Your latest effort (“universe creators = gods”) is in tatters for reasons that have been set out for you at some length, yet you’ve ignored every rebuttal and blithely carried on with the same mistakes as if nothing had happened. What do you get from this dishonesty?

That may be so, but you didn’t actually rebut anything there either – which was your claim remember?

No, he’s saying that if you want to claim the “omnis” that gives you an immediate problem because they contradict each other.

Why? Is “maximally” your weasel out of your “omnis” problem and, if it is, then presumably it must entail a god with limitations. Is that what you now want to claim to exist?
As far as I recall the Omnis have not been popular with theists, not because it's the atheist's little clincher but because it turns out it is a philosophers construct and by people who are either not christian on the one hand and by people who snear at philosophy like Hawking, Krauss et al but warm to it when it suits. You can sometimes spot these guys as they start doubting God because he's not entertaining them by doing the impossible. Aquinus speaks against the impossible, Anselm at his most useful talks about maximal which partly means that nothing is greater than God in terms of potential, potency, knowledge or benevolence. And that is actually arrived at by Biblical study

The God of the omnis as I have said before (There is a whole thread on it) is much, much more a philosophers construct to satisfy the need for conundrums. It is the God of the omnis, the wet dream of philosophers as Leprechauns are the wet dream for others.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: May 02, 2021, 11:14:36 PM »
As far as I recall the Omnis have not been popular with theists, not because it's the atheist's little clincher but because it turns out it is a philosophers construct and by people who are either not christian on the one hand and by people who snear at philosophy like Hawking, Krauss et al but warm to it when it suits. You can sometimes spot these guys as they start doubting God because he's not entertaining them by doing the impossible. Aquinus speaks against the impossible, Anselm at his most useful talks about maximal which partly means that nothing is greater than God in terms of potential, potency, knowledge or benevolence. And that is actually arrived at by Biblical study

The God of the omnis as I have said before (There is a whole thread on it) is much, much more a philosophers construct to satisfy the need for conundrums. It is the God of the omnis, the wet dream of philosophers as Leprechauns are the wet dream for others.
drivel

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #390 on: May 03, 2021, 07:52:12 AM »
...Anselm at his most useful talks about maximal which partly means that nothing is greater than God in terms of potential, potency, knowledge or benevolence. And that is actually arrived at by Biblical study

Quite apart from anything else, I see you've yet again switched your definition of what 'god' means.  ::)
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Spud

« Reply #391 on: May 03, 2021, 08:23:36 AM »
Yes, but you are not one of the gospel writers
Fair enough.
and Peter wasn't their religious leader.
Assuming Peter was an actual person and a church leader around the time of writing and that his denial of Jesus would be embarrassing for him, would a gospel writer, making up the story, include it knowing it would damage his reputation? If "yes, possibly", what about four gospel writers?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #392 on: May 03, 2021, 10:03:24 AM »
Vlad,

The trouble is Hillside is if you think the universe having a creator is a reasonable notion, does that make you 'another kind of atheist'
Anselm takes his cue from the bible which seems to be saying something different from the philosophers take.

Although Christianity has embraced philosophy it proceeds from any philosophy within the bible and its notions are nurtured in Palestine.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #393 on: May 03, 2021, 11:01:28 AM »
The trouble is Hillside is if you think the universe having a creator is a reasonable notion, does that make you 'another kind of atheist'
Anselm takes his cue from the bible which seems to be saying something different from the philosophers take.

Although Christianity has embraced philosophy it proceeds from any philosophy within the bible and its notions are nurtured in Palestine.

Wow - two versions of 'god' in the same post! Are you going for some sort of prize for total incoherence?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #394 on: May 03, 2021, 06:15:27 PM »
Vlad,

All those words and not a cogent or coherent thought in any of them. Nor for that matter even an attempt to address the arguments that undid you.

For what it’s worth, if you want to resile from a god who knows everything (omniscience) to merely a god who knows more than anyone else, from a god who can do anything (omnipotence) to merely a god who can do more than anyone else, and from a god who can be anywhere (omnipresence) to merely a god who can be in more places than anyone else that’s a matter for you, but it’s pretty dramatic shift away from your previous assertions.

Presumably too in the same vein you’ll now resile from a god who’s omnibenevolent (or omnijust as you might have it) to merely a god who’s more benevolent (or just) than anyone else (but presumably can have bad hair days of his own too when the mood strikes) as that’s also a parochialism that "maximally" paints you in to. You’ll be in good company though I guess as the Sumerians, Norse, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans etc also worshipped gods with limited briefs so yours’ll fit right in.     

Of course not. For the reasons I’ve set out more than once now and you continue to ignore as the SU conjecture says nothing about most of the critical claims of theism (and nor therefore about atheism’s response to those claims) it has no relevance at all.   

No doubt it does, just as the claims of alchemists say something different from those of chemists and the claims of astrologers say something different from those of astronomers.

So what though?

Although Christianity has embraced philosophy…

That’s a big claim. What “philosophy” do you think religion has embraced exactly?

…it proceeds from any philosophy within the bible and its notions are nurtured in Palestine.

Christian (and other) theology substantially precedes philosophy rather than proceeds from it, and why should ancient “nurturing” in an obscure corner of the Middle East have more to tell us than the corpus of reasoning that’s come since?

Oh, and should I take it by the way that you have no more intention of actually addressing the recent rebuttals you’ve been given than you have ever had of addressing any of the countless rebuttals you’ve been given before that?   

Funny that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:39:07 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #395 on: May 04, 2021, 09:24:54 AM »
Vlad,

All those words and not a cogent or coherent thought in any of them. Nor for that matter even an attempt to address the arguments that undid you.

For what it’s worth, if you want to resile from a god who knows everything (omniscience) to merely a god who knows more than anyone else, from a god who can do anything (omnipotence) to merely a god who can do more than anyone else, and from a god who can be anywhere (omnipresence) to merely a god who can be in more places than anyone else that’s a matter for you, but it’s pretty dramatic shift away from your previous assertions.

Presumably too in the same vein you’ll now resile from a god who’s omnibenevolent (or omnijust as you might have it) to merely a god who’s more benevolent (or just) than anyone else (but presumably can have bad hair days of his own too when the mood strikes) as that’s also a parochialism that "maximally" paints you in to. You’ll be in good company though I guess as the Sumerians, Norse, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans etc also worshipped gods with limited briefs so yours’ll fit right in.     

Of course not. For the reasons I’ve set out more than once now and you continue to ignore as the SU conjecture says nothing about most of the critical claims of theism (and nor therefore about atheism’s response to those claims) it has no relevance at all.   

No doubt it does, just as the claims of alchemists say something different from those of chemists and the claims of astrologers say something different from those of astronomers.

So what though?

That’s a big claim. What “philosophy” do you think religion has embraced exactly?

Christian (and other) theology substantially precedes philosophy rather than proceeds from it, and why should ancient “nurturing” in an obscure corner of the Middle East have more to tell us than the corpus of reasoning that’s come since?

Oh, and should I take it by the way that you have no more intention of actually addressing the recent rebuttals you’ve been given than you have ever had of addressing any of the countless rebuttals you’ve been given before that?   

Funny that.
Not sure what alchemy and astrology have got to do with philosophy and religion.
Chemistry achieves the goals of alchemy more successfully and astronomy is a better way of looking at the stars. I do feel you guiding us back to today's philosophies and their superiority to anything in the past. That of course is a fallacy of modernity. Secondly modern philosophies such as empiricism, naturalism and scientism can be as cosmologist and atheist Paul Davies points out, alienating, in other words, they deprive people of any self exploration by demeaning self knowledge , in other words reducing them.
As well as being demeaning they remain philosophies.

Now onto your argument from geography.
I find The implication that there are obscure areas of the world from which nothing useful can eminate is something no sensible person should brook. It reminds me of AC Grayling who thinks that the glory that was Greco-Rome was somehow polluted by Middle eastern beliefs.
It also is reinforced by that notion from the modernity fallacy and argument from snobbery, Bronze age goatherders.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:30:15 AM by DePfeffelred the Ovenready »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #396 on: May 04, 2021, 10:12:43 AM »
Vlad,

Not sure what alchemy and astrology have got to do with philosophy and religion.
Chemistry achieves the goals of alchemy more successfully and astronomy is a better way of looking at the stars.

Given that it’s been explained to you several times, why not? Theology stands in relation to philosophy as alchemy stands in relation to chemistry and astrology stands in relation to astronomy. All three are essentially guessology grounded in the best understandings available from their times that have been superseded by more reliable ways to understand the world. 

I do feel you guiding us back to today's philosophies and their superiority to anything in the past.

Not to anything, no. Lots of ancient philosophy and logic stands today because it hasn’t been falsified. 

That of course is a fallacy of modernity.

It’s also not true. What is true though is that many early attempts at it – "if we don’t sacrifice a virgin to the volcano god the crops will fail" etc – are demonstrably inferior to the understandings we have now. This is generally why theology fails.   

Secondly…

Your firstly just collapsed, but ok…

…modern philosophies such as empiricism, naturalism and scientism can be as cosmologist and atheist Paul Davies points out, alienating, in other words, they deprive people of any self exploration by demeaning self knowledge , in other words reducing them.
As well as being demeaning they remain philosophies.

Utter bollocks.

First, truth matters. Whether or not you think logically robust thinking is “alienating” doesn’t change its robustness.

Second, as Richard Feynmann said knowing about photosynthesis doesn’t make the flowers in your garden less attractive – to the contrary it enriches and enhances our appreciation of them.

Third, your problem with that blithe “self-knowledge” is that absent any method to test whether it is knowledge at all (you know the kind of empiricism, naturalism etc you dismiss) you have no means to know whether all you actually have is baseless opinions.

Apart from all that though… 

Now onto your argument from geography.

Any chance of it being less incoherent than your efforts so far?

I find The implication that there are obscure areas of the world from which nothing useful can eminate is something no sensible person should brook. It reminds me of AC Grayling who thinks that the glory that was Greco-Rome was somehow polluted by Middle eastern beliefs.

So that’s a no then. That supposed “implication” is just another of your endless straw men. It’s entirely possible that something useful could have come from anywhere. What we’re talking about here though are grandiose theological claims from an age and place from which many such claims came, as they did from ancient Egypt, from Norse Scandinavia, from the Amazon basin, from aboriginal peoples, from Polynesian islanders, from etc. Fine – do you accept all of their of gods as necessarily true therefore, or do you apply methods to test the veracity of these multiple theistic claims?

Assuming for now that you do, how then would you justify the special pleading necessary to give the faith tradition with which you happen to be most familiar a free pass?       

It also is reinforced by that notion from the modernity fallacy and argument from snobbery, Bronze age goatherders.

No it isn’t.

So, now your latest effort is in tatters what are the chances of you finally telling us how you’d bridge the gap from a necessary feature for potential universe creators to the many necessary features for your god (albeit that you change position on what your god might be more often than you change your socks these days). Or do you intend to maintain your position of never answering anything here? 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:31:22 AM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #397 on: May 04, 2021, 11:19:16 AM »
Vlad,

Given that it’s been explained to you several times, why not? Theology stands in relation to philosophy as alchemy stands in relation to chemistry and astrology stands in relation to astronomy. All three are essentially guessology grounded in the best understandings available from their times that have been superseded by more reliable ways to understand the world. 

Not to anything, no. Lots of ancient philosophy and logic stands today because it hasn’t been falsified. 

It’s also not true. What is true though is that many early attempts at it – "if we don’t sacrifice a virgin to the volcano god the crops will fail" etc – are demonstrably inferior to the understandings we have now. This is generally why theology fails.   

Your firstly just collapsed, but ok…

Utter bollocks.

First, truth matters. Whether or not you think logically robust thinking is “alienating” doesn’t change its robustness.

Second, as Richard Feynmann said knowing about photosynthesis doesn’t make the flowers in your garden less attractive – to the contrary it enriches and enhances our appreciation of them.

Third, your problem with that blithe “self-knowledge” is that absent any method to test whether it is knowledge at all (you know the kind of empiricism, naturalism etc you dismiss) you have no means to know whether all you actually have is baseless opinions.

Apart from all that though… 

Any chance of it being less incoherent than your efforts so far?

So that’s a no then. That supposed “implication” is just another of your endless straw men. It’s entirely possible that something useful could have come from anywhere. What we’re talking about here though are grandiose theological claims from an age and place from which many such claims came, as they did from ancient Egypt, from Norse Scandinavia, from the Amazon basin, from aboriginal peoples, from Polynesian islanders, from etc. Fine – do you accept all of their of gods as necessarily true therefore, or do you apply methods to test the veracity of these multiple theistic claims?

Assuming for now that you do, how then would you justify the special pleading necessary to give the faith tradition with which you happen to be most familiar a free pass?       

No it isn’t.

So, now your latest effort is in tatters what are the chances of you finally telling us how you’d bridge the gap from a necessary feature for potential universe creators to the many necessary features for your god (albeit that you change position on what your god might be more often than you change your socks these days). Or do you intend to maintain your position of never answering anything here?
It's really down to you to justify the shite analogy of theology is to philosophy as alchemy is to chemistry or astrology is to astronomy.  You are trying to use the halo effect of these subject. Philosophy is not a science and you seem to have no problem with it being guessology.

The idea of obscure parts of the world from which nothing useful   can come is an indefensible 19th century attitude.

Spud

« Reply #398 on: May 04, 2021, 11:26:16 AM »
Except that the claims of witnesses to the purported resurrected Jesus seem be be late additions to the whole story. Don't forget that the gospel considered to have been written first (Mark), in its original ending had no resurrection appearances whatsoever. Merely an empty tomb.

If we compare Mark and Matthew's versions of the empty tomb, it is clear that Matthew's is more original:

Earlier, Jesus had told the disciples that he would rise from the dead. Matthew reports that the angel said, "he is risen, just as he said". Mark does not add "as he said" to "he is risen". Instead Mark adds "as he told you" to "He is going into Galilee before you, there you will see him".

Indeed Jesus had told the disciples he would go before them into Galilee, but Jesus didn't say they would see him there, only that he would rise and would go there before them.

So it looks as though Matthew has recorded the conversation in the form in which it originally took place.

Now of all the explanations (and there are many) for finding a previously filled grave suddenly empty, resurrection is just about the least plausible.

So going back to the shooting analogy. It would be the equivalent of the earliest witness testimonies perhaps confirming that there was a man with a knife, but later testimony adds some additional 'colour' for effect - for example that he was juggling with three knives before throwing each one, inch perfectly to down three policemen. The earliest claims from the gospel are deeply unimpressive as evidence for a resurrection, hence the likely need to 'sex them up' a tad.

Matthew's description of the angel is similar to the way Daniel described an angel in one of his visions. Apparently this is the first account of the incident; Mark has toned down the appearance of the angel for some reason, perhaps for the sake of Gentile converts who would not have read Daniel. Perhaps also because he is influenced by Luke, who describes the angel(s) as men.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #399 on: May 04, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »
Vlad,

It's really down to you to justify the shite analogy of theology is to philosophy as alchemy is to chemistry or astrology is to astronomy.  You are trying to use the halo effect of these subject. Philosophy is not a science and you seem to have no problem with it being guessology.

Philosophy rests on logic. When the principles and rules of logic are applied to the claims of theology, they fail – which is why theology gives up the struggle and relies instead on “faith”.

Astronomy and chemistry rest on logic. When the principles and rules of logic are applied to astrology and alchemy they fail too.

Why is this difficult for you to grasp?   

The idea of obscure parts of the world from which nothing useful   can come is an indefensible 19th century attitude.

Try reading what I actually said.

Oh, and as ever I see you’ve just ignored the rebuttals you were given. Never explain, never apologise eh? What do you get from this behaviour?

God