Author Topic: Kinda memory check . . . .  (Read 696 times)

Owlswing

Kinda memory check . . . .
« on: April 19, 2021, 09:30:47 PM »

I am making a huge assumption here that we are all, or at least. most of us, of about the same age - 60 plus.

To all those who are not - I apologise profusely!

Of all those who are old enough and were for some period or other in the military, can any of you still remember your Service Number?

And yes I can, I regret to say, everyone, I have spoken to on the subject all seem to come out with the same reply "It's bloody impossible to forget!"

Abusive comments are expected from both "Yea's" and "Nays".

Owlswing - 23875057 - Royal Armoured Corps!

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Kinda memory check . . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:51:10 PM »
Well yes I'm over 60. In fact I'm that age where you wonder if people will send you a valentine or a bottle of wine, but National Service had finished when I was young enough for it to apply, so no number to remember.

I can remember my Mum's Coop divi number if that's any use!
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

BeRational

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 11:25:53 PM »
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 11:30:40 PM »

Hmm. You didn't join that much after me then!

Did you enjoy it or hate it?

owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »
Well yes I'm over 60. In fact I'm that age where you wonder if people will send you a valentine or a bottle of wine, but National Service had finished when I was young enough for it to apply, so no number to remember.

I can remember my Mum's Coop divi number if that's any use!
A few years off 60, and never been in military but I too could telll you mum's Coop divi number, my matriculation number from Uni which is 40 years ago later this year, the registrations of the cars my father had, including a couple of the bin lorries he drove, but I couldn't tell you the registrations of any of the cars I have had.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 08:53:11 AM »
I'll be 69 this summer and have never been in the military - I did join the Army Cadets in 1968, have been encouraged to do so by a clearly psychopathic friend, but I only lasted for 3 weeks: too much pointless shouting and stamping of feet for a sensitive soul like me (plus I don't like guns).

The only 'ID' I can remember is from possibly the worst second-hand car we ever bought, in about 1979/80 - I can't remember anything about it (other than that it turned out to be useless) apart from it's registration - MUS 304P.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:07:00 AM by Gordon »

ekim

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 09:32:03 AM »
Yes, I can remember my Army number.  Some things get stamped into your brain.  I can still remember my wartime National Identity Card number but I can't remember my National Insurance number.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 09:54:43 AM »
I'm 70 in June, but am almost a pacifist. Sorry!
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 10:21:30 AM »
National Service finished the year before I would have been required to do it.

I do remember my first Premium Bond number - AK221299.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Enki

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 03:51:01 PM »
I'm 80 and I just missed being called up because if you went to university you were exempt.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Owlswing

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 11:27:12 PM »

A few years off 60, and never been in military but I too could telll you mum's Coop divi number, my matriculation number from Uni which is 40 years ago later this year, the registrations of the cars my father had, including a couple of the bin lorries he drove, but I couldn't tell you the registrations of any of the cars I have had.

SNAP! My Grandmother's was L692831.

Owlswing

)O(