Author Topic: Witch Hunt  (Read 1710 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Witch Hunt
« on: April 23, 2021, 10:43:54 AM »
Been listening to this series about the Scottish witch hunt and trials. Thought Owlswing might like it. And indeed Anchorman as it's entwined with Scottish religious history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cz90
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 02:28:03 PM by Nearly Sane »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Witch Hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:09:52 PM »
Been listening to this series about the Scottish witch hunt and trials. Thought Owlswing might like it. And indeed Anchorman as it's entwined with Scottish religious history.

Yes, NS; I listened.
Our local 'celebrity witch' was one of the Boswell family - the famous James' great-uncle - who was brought up before the Session at Edinburgh on charges of 'devilry and witchcraft and an number of other offences'.
He was found guilty, but managed to avoid sentence; money talks.
I suspect his 'witchcraft' was simply being a member of a secret society, much like the freemasons.
He fled Edinburgh to live in London, where he became pretty high in the masonic orders.

"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Owlswing

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 05:05:07 PM »

I would love to be able to listen to these programmes (all of them) but the link to each episode states that "This episode is not currently available" which is seriously disappointing.

Is there an archive that I might be able to access, please?

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »
Hi Owlswing - I get the same message, but as Anchorman has listened to it I wonder if it's because of it being BBC Radio Scotland ? I don't see why it should be that, but just scratching my head trying to work out why we can't listen to it.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 05:13:58 PM »
I've found this which appears to be a way to listen (I think):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07rn38z/episodes/downloads
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Owlswing

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »

I would love to be able to listen to these programmes (all of them) but the link to each episode states that "This episode is not currently available" which is seriously disappointing.

Is there an archive that I might be able to access, please?

Owlswing

)O(

Is there any way in which I can get hold of a copy of the scripts does any of our Highland laddies know?

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 09:18:14 AM »
Hi Owlswing - I get the same message, but as Anchorman has listened to it I wonder if it's because of it being BBC Radio Scotland ? I don't see why it should be that, but just scratching my head trying to work out why we can't listen to it.
Maybe Anchorman should be referred to the Witchfinder general for incontinently using unnatural powers in order to gain access to material no longer available on the BBC which, as is known, is an abomination unto heaven, earth and the licence payer.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 09:28:16 AM »
Maybe Anchorman should be referred to the Witchfinder general for incontinently using unnatural powers in order to gain access to material no longer available on the BBC which, as is known, is an abomination unto heaven, earth and the licence payer.

Nah....it's 'cos I pass the Boswell burial vault every time I go to spend a few minutes kip during the sermon at Kirk, innit?
(It is no mean feat to fall asleep when you're the one preaching the sermon, I'll have you know....)

"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Owlswing

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 07:53:59 PM »

Nah....it's 'cos I pass the Boswell burial vault every time I go to spend a few minutes kip during the sermon at Kirk, innit?

(It is no mean feat to fall asleep when you're the one preaching the sermon, I'll have you know....)

NO MEAN FEAT??!!! I have only just seen this comment and I would describe it as a pure unadulterated bloody MIRACLE! The first in 2,000 years!

Owlswing

)O(

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 08:29:49 AM »
NO MEAN FEAT??!!! I have only just seen this comment and I would describe it as a pure unadulterated bloody MIRACLE! The first in 2,000 years!

Owlswing

)O(

Well, it nearly happened yesterday.
I was in the big three sided box, as the minister was on hols.
The advantage of being blind is that you can't see the congregation falling asleep.
The disadvantage is that you can't see 'em chucking the hymnals.
Yesterday I tried presentation.
I used a banana to illustrate the Triune nature of God.
No, I'm not joking......

ekim

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 08:44:40 AM »

Well, it nearly happened yesterday.
I was in the big three sided box, as the minister was on hols.
The advantage of being blind is that you can't see the congregation falling asleep.
The disadvantage is that you can't see 'em chucking the hymnals.
Yesterday I tried presentation.
I used a banana to illustrate the Triune nature of God.
No, I'm not joking......

Was that because the congregation was behaving like chimpanzees?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »
Was that because the congregation was behaving like chimpanzees?

Nah....but I thought about telling them to stick their sweet wrappers in the traditional  place where chimps are alleged to place the banana.....