Author Topic: Line of Duty  (Read 1030 times)

ad_orientem

Line of Duty
« on: April 27, 2021, 08:38:54 AM »
Has anyone else been watching this on the BBC? Cracking series. Been watching it with my mum when I go to see her. So who does everyone think H is?
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Harrowby Hall

Re: Line of Duty
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 09:27:44 AM »
The Chief Constable?

My guess is that Jo will be killed ... and this will be expressed as "dying in the line of duty".  Be that as it may, Ted Hastings has only one hour left to rid his police force of its wide spread corruption and have his retirement cancelled.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ad_orientem

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 09:32:12 AM »
I was thinking the same, the Chief Constable. That's why we've seen so little of him. Hastings' exclamations are funny, the best being from the last episode when they were interviewing Jo Davison: Jesus, Mary and Joseph and wee donkey!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
Do you think I've just come up the Laggan on the bubble? Of course, I've been watching it. I suspect as with the previous series we will not get everything done and dusted. We might not even find out who the wee donkey is never mind H.

One of the things I like about it is the mix of the sort of jargon that makes it feel real with the total unreality of the plotting. It reminds me of Spooks for that.

Robbie

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
I haven't seen the current series but watched all the others, not at the time. From what you say it sounds as though it's good. I'll catch up eventually.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

ad_orientem

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 01:22:04 PM »
I haven't seen the current series but watched all the others, not at the time. From what you say it sounds as though it's good. I'll catch up eventually.

Definitely worth it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 03:06:10 PM »
It's also worth catching up with Between the Lines from the 90s which is being shown on BBC4 on Sundays, available on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00df5nm/between-the-lines

ad_orientem

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 06:02:22 PM »
It's also worth catching up with Between the Lines from the 90s which is being shown on BBC4 on Sundays, available on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00df5nm/between-the-lines

Cheers. I'll have a look at that. Someone mentioned Spooks earlier as well. That was a series I enjoyed too.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 08:57:49 PM »
The wee donkey!!!

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »
Such a disappointing finale!
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 10:29:35 PM »
Such a disappointing finale!
I would have really liked it if H was effectively ongoing pr9cess but.. 

SweetPea

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 10:46:29 PM »

Yes, I was rather hoping for the same but all good 'shows' have to end eventually...
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

BeRational

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 10:50:56 PM »
Poor ending
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 08:24:22 AM »

Don't you think that Carmichael has been set up?

She is clearly the Chief Constable's apparent stooge and has been charged with emasculating AC-12, but she is not bent. Perhaps when she sees the scale and nature of corruption in Central she may realise that she has been set up and start working - against the prevailing climate - appropriately.

Definately.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ekim

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 09:08:52 AM »
No comment!

SweetPea

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 12:35:59 PM »
Don't you think that Carmichael has been set up?

She is clearly the Chief Constable's apparent stooge and has been charged with emasculating AC-12, but she is not bent. Perhaps when she sees the scale and nature of corruption in Central she may realise that she has been set up and start working - against the prevailing climate - appropriately.

Definately.

Harrowby, for me, Carmichael at first appeared a possibility as 'H' - the cold, dismissive, shifty personality but then I started to think of her as a red herring. I do like your premise, though. Perhaps you should send your ideas to Jed Mercurio and he can muse on them - if he hasn't done so all ready.

The actor that played (plays possibly) Buckells, Nigel Boyle, was interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning and was not giving anything away when asked if there will be another series. He was even asked if he was 'H' and side-tracked rather on the question. There are certainly openings that could allow it to happen. The series has been over a period of 10 years so Mercurio may have had enough.... who knows..

ad_orientem

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »
Just watched it. Bit of a flat ending, I thought. Still a lot of open ends so hopefully there will be another series. Even up to the end I was getting worried that Hastings might turn out to be H. Thankfully that wasn't the case as I would have stopped watching in disgust.