Author Topic: Snow White and the non-consensual kiss  (Read 707 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Snow White and the non-consensual kiss
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:01:03 PM »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Snow White and the non-consensual kiss
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 11:18:19 PM »
Fairy stories are problematic in all sorts of ways, and always have been. I think it's because they are an expression of people's gut feelings, which aren't always nice. Stepmothers, for example, are always wicked - an expression of a child's resentment towards someone they see as a usurper. Also, the good characters are always beautiful or handsome, while the wicked ones are usually ugly, and often deformed: not exactly a positive image of disability. I don't think they should be Bowdlerised, but some exposition would be appropriate when reading them to a child.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:28:27 AM »
Surely The Disney version of the Hunchback of Notre Dame conveys an equality message about disability in it's main character. I can't remember his name but his face rings a bell.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »
Very droll. The Hunchback of Notre Dame isn't a fairy story.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SusanDoris

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:25:58 PM »
Seems to me that if I as a child understood clearly that these stories had nothing to do with reality and dated from the previous century, today's children should be just as able, or more so,  to do so too. To try and make them entirely non-judgemental,  and politicallycorrect or whatever phrase is current    is to deprive children -and it seems adults too - of a part of history and a rich world of make-believe. . 
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:33:20 PM »
Seems to me that if I as a child understood clearly that these stories had nothing to do with reality and dated from the previous century, today's children should be just as able, or more so,  to do so too. To try and make them entirely non-judgemental,  and politicallycorrect or whatever phrase is current    is to deprive children -and it seems adults too - of a part of history and a rich world of make-believe. .
And of course the Disney versions were already watered down in comparison to the darker originals.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 01:43:13 PM »
Indeed.
And of course the Disney versions were already watered down in comparison to the darker originals.
Quite - the Disney versions were saccharine.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 05:34:26 PM »

Outrider

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 08:35:18 AM »
Trying to kill your step daughter would appear to be fine.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/disneyland-snow-white-rape-culture-b1841466.html

The stepmother is the villain, the villain is supposed to (try to) do bad things. The Prince is not the bad-guy, in theory...

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints