Author Topic: Hartlepool  (Read 2803 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Hartlepool
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 03:09:19 PM »
What word would you suggest instead? I don't think it's 100% guaranteed that Hartlepool will now be showered with government cash.
It sounds like the other redwall constituencies are getting around the 20 million mark. Not sure what that buys or where it'll end up.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 04:26:56 PM »
Ben Houchen's win and indeed he is very impressive

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 04:23:45 PM »
That Boris blimp is beautifully on record waiting for the day when Johnson is either replaced as leader or the Tories are voted out.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 05:03:06 PM »
Well, here's a peculiar thing. Down here in true blue West Sussex Labour have just increased their tally of County councillors from 5 to 9. Still a Tory council, but it is interesting. In our ward we got rid of a long standing Tory with a new Labour member. The Tories lost 10 seats.

It is not what I would call fertile ground for Labour and yet......

I draw no conclusions except that Labour fought a local campaign on local issues here and won. The suggestion in the press is that Labour did not nationally concentrate enough on local issues.

A way forward perhaps?

I'm not discounting other factors such as a changing demographic - Worthing is getting people who would normally gravitate to Brighton but find the place to expensive. Worthing is both cheaper and less frenetic than its brash neighbour.

Still I'm going to fan the very small flame of optimism this has engendered within me.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
Well, here's a peculiar thing. Down here in true blue West Sussex Labour have just increased their tally of County councillors from 5 to 9. Still a Tory council, but it is interesting. In our ward we got rid of a long standing Tory with a new Labour member. The Tories lost 10 seats.

I draw no conclusions except that Labour fought a local campaign on local issues here and won. The suggestion in the press is that Labour did not nationally concentrate enough on local issues.

A way forward perhaps?

I'm not discounting other factors such as a changing demographic - Worthing is getting people who would normally gravitate to Brighton but find the place to expensive. Worthing is both cheaper and less frenetic than its brash neighbour.

Still I'm going to fan the very small flame of optimism this has engendered within me.
Here's hoping. Meanwhile SKY news is describing Labour victories sparks of hope and Andy Streets holding of his mayorality as a tory as joyous for them.
As somebody has pointed out press can't stop asking why people have abandoned labour but no bugger seems to be asking why people have gone to or stayed with Labour. It smells.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 08:07:17 PM by DePfeffelred the Ovenready »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2021, 10:22:40 PM »

A way forward perhaps?

Since I'm familiar with Worthing and I have a brother close to Hartlepool and now we see it on TV. I'm getting picture of Streets of new and affordable houses in Hartlepool and a dearth of that in Worthing. Given that Worthing has gone from being a jewel of a place with it's white buildings plush seafront and promenade and nice well manicured Gardens and parks to a place of pop up public houses and grass poking up through the pathways. I expect questions and criticisms to start coming from traditional Tory areas including who it is who being left behind.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 03:23:39 PM »
I am Angela Rayner: Deputy Leader, Shadow First Secretary of State, Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Shadow Secretary of State for the Future of Work. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 06:31:48 PM »
My aim is not to be offensive to Brexit and Tory supporters by calling them stupid.

So my mother had a Dog who had a bit of a proto evil streak like dropping a turd and then covering it with carefully torn newspaper.

Now when it was told off by my mother it would scan round the room to look for what it looked like the weakest person and snarl at them.

Of course these people aren't going to take it out on Boris.

The GBP seem to be in a race to hate each successive Labour leader more than the last one. This is a bit like north Korean generals getting more theatrical in their praise in order to please the dear leader or as a teacher of my acquaintance used to describe a difficult day with the pupils. The GBP are ''having a who can be the biggest arse contest.''

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »
I am Angela Rayner: Deputy Leader, Shadow First Secretary of State, Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Shadow Secretary of State for the Future of Work. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next
I am Boris Maximus Spaffius Depfeffelium Johnson Prime minister, Interior decorator, Father to goodness knows how many, Ex Husband to two ex wives . And I will have my vengeance........... in the HARTLEPOOL BY ELECTION.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 06:58:09 PM »
Starmer more unpopular than Corbyn

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-polls-corbyn-labour-b1845588.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1620740099

Corbyn was unable to lead, but Starmer has not provided the leadership that was needed.

Even the post Hartlepool reshuffle makes no sense (to me at least). Labour need to demonstrate competency and integrity to contrast against Tories incompetent corruption - and have plans that will work and that everyone can see will work.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:45:07 PM by Udayana »
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 11:46:23 AM »
I think because many voters have Stockholm syndrome labour should be contacting Cult deprogrammers and since we are talking about Johnson, maybe a few Cu*t deprogrammers too.

Owlswing

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 01:17:34 PM »

The main problem is that the majority of the population still see Labour as a wishy-washy Communist party and seeing the practical application of these policies in both Russia and China want nothing to do with it.

The attachment of militant Left-wing unions, and their insistence on calling a strike everytime a member tears a fingernail, to the Labour party does not help them one iota!

The Bus strike in Hounslow, in the middle of Covid regulations easing passenger limitation regulations, which stopped all buses on the three main routes, for which the Unions refused to make public the reason/s, did nothing to help this situation.

This being a Union thing does not appear to have hurt the Mayor and Council aside from the fact that the Mayor and the Council both condemned the effect of the strike on people trying to get their kids to school and some to themselves to work.

This is not, in my experience, the first time that a strike by the various public service Unions has been a negative effect on a Labour vote.

But being, mostly, someone who finds almost ALL politicians of ALL parties self-serving 'I've got my arse on a seat in Westminster, when I choose to attend, giving me £100,000 plus per annum plus expenses and the voters can go fuck themselves' I have no confidence in how they are going to vote most of the time.

A Government with a Trump look-alike for a leader doesn't really inspire confidence. Except, possibly, in the U.S.

NOTE! Apologies to ANY and ALL who take offence at the above. I have a serious hatred of both politicians and unions.

Owlswing

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Owlswing

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 01:28:21 PM »

Add to the above this from NS in the  Trans Rights thread

Joan Smith on Labour's women problem

https://unherd.com/2021/05/women-dont-feel-safe-with-labour/

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 01:29:20 PM »
I wish I understood what is happening. I have no explanation for why the current government is so popular unless it's the Coronavirus crisis.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2021, 01:31:43 PM »
Add to the above this from NS in the  Trans Rights thread

I was wondering about that, but I don't think the trans gender issues really impinge on  most voters' lives that much.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2021, 02:24:56 PM »
The main problem is that the majority of the population still see Labour as a wishy-washy Communist party and seeing the practical application of these policies in both Russia and China want nothing to do with it.
This cold war fear you are expressing was a little before my time.
It came to a head in the 70's. Strikes had an affect because there were power cuts and TV closed early then of course there were the gravedigger and bin men strikes of 78/79 since them and the IRA darkened what was otherwise a genteel decade. I voted for Thatcher in 1979 as an alternative to this but never realised that The defeat of Ted Heath because he was bested by the unions had initiated her madness

The attachment of militant Left-wing unions, and their insistence on calling a strike everytime a member tears a fingernail, to the Labour party does not help them one iota![/quote] There are a lot of hyperbolic scare stories put around about the seventies that weren't true and make people believe it was worse than it really was.
The Bus strike in Hounslow, in the middle of Covid regulations easing passenger limitation regulations, which stopped all buses on the three main routes, for which the Unions refused to make public the reason/s, did nothing to help this situation.
Never heard of it. In fact Bus drivers have put their lives on the line to keep the country moving

This being a Union thing does not appear to have hurt the Mayor and Council aside from the fact that the Mayor and the Council both condemned the effect of the strike on people trying to get their kids to school and some to themselves to work.

This is not, in my experience, the first time that a strike by the various public service Unions has been a negative effect on a Labour vote.

But being, mostly, someone who finds almost ALL politicians of ALL parties self-serving 'I've got my arse on a seat in Westminster, when I choose to attend, giving me £100,000 plus per annum plus expenses and the voters can go fuck themselves' I have no confidence in how they are going to vote most of the time.

A Government with a Trump look-alike for a leader doesn't really inspire confidence. Except, possibly, in the U.S.

NOTE! Apologies to ANY and ALL who take offence at the above. I have a serious hatred of both politicians and unions.

Owlswing

)O(
[/quote]
What do you think of the bosses union, the CBI?

Owlswing

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2021, 10:45:27 PM »
This cold war fear you are expressing was a little before my time.
The attachment of militant Left-wing unions, and their insistence on calling a strike everytime a member tears a fingernail, to the Labour party does not help them one iota! There are a lot of hyperbolic scare stories put around about the seventies that weren't true and make people believe it was worse than it really was. Never heard of it. In fact Bus drivers have put their lives on the line to keep the country moving

Owlswing

)O(

What do you think of the bosses union, the CBI?

Please? Were you piss3ed when you wrote this???

I truly hope so as I hate to think what else might have caused  such a mess!

Owlswing

)O(

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2021, 09:42:22 AM »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2021, 02:08:09 PM »
A measured take on the local elections, worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/13/resounding-conservative-election-victory-local-devolved-polls
Kettle is right to flag up labour panic. During which Starmer immediately fell in with the conservative narrative that they had something to apologise for. Get's them everytime except for Corbyn who was overcome with the agoraphobia he managed to overcome in 2017.

And thus the Tories have again chosen one of the central Labour policies. Labour will be apologetic up until the next election.........Johnson is the incarnation of not being respected for apologising.

Once apologising is underway it will then somehow never be enough vis the antisemitism row vis the 2008 crisis