Author Topic: The great filter  (Read 1883 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: The great filter
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 05:59:27 PM »
AB,

Optimistic statements based on one's own personal views or wishes, not backed up by valid reasoning are just as much fallacious as statements of personal incredulity which are not backed up by intelligent reasoning.

Nope. Optimism is the hope or wish that something will turn out as someone wishes it to turn out. It's not a claim of fact. The argument from personal incredulity on the other hand is the claim that something actually is the case, albeit based on the claimant’s inability to conceive of an alternative. You for example routinely collapse into the argument from personal incredulity fallacy because you cannot (or will not) ever engage with the explanations that falsify your notion of what is.

I have been falsely accused many times on this forum of personal incredulity…

No, you’ve been "accused" correctly of that – many, many times in fact.

…when I have offered substantial, well thought out reasons which have been dismissed by meaningless words such as "drivel", "gibberish" or "theobabble".

To my knowledge you have be never once offered a “substantial, well thought out reason” at all. No matter how many times your mistakes are explained to you, rather than engage with those explanations and attempt to rebut them you just repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Look, I’ll show you: can you think of any reason at all to justify your claim of a necessary “driver” for decision-making that isn’t:

1. Just a description of how the experience feels; or

2. Something you really, really want to be true because it’s the cornerstone of your religious beliefs?

It’s OK, you can say it – “no” is the answer isn’t it.

And that’s your problem.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:45:17 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: The great filter
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2021, 10:46:32 AM »
Blue - to avoid derailing this topic I have replied in the Searching for God thread
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton