Author Topic: Does Boris Johnson drag Catholicism into the mire...or vice versa?  (Read 1004 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

I think Johnson's association with it will mire it's already tarnished reputation, even further.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Does Boris Johnson drag Catholicism into the mire...or vice versa?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 07:16:27 PM »
I think Johnson's association with it will mire it's already tarnished reputation, even further.

Has he left (nominal) Anglicanism?
My cousin, who was a member of the CofS, married his wife, an RC, in an RC church 25 years ago; he remains a Kirk member, and not only on paper.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »

Has he left (nominal) Anglicanism?
My cousin, who was a member of the CofS, married his wife, an RC, in an RC church 25 years ago; he remains a Kirk member, and not only on paper.
My problem is that they make no account of previous marriage or divorced. It seems the Catholic church are damning his previous wives by seeing them as nought while cockahoop at gaining a celebrity lapsee.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 06:41:07 AM »
LapsER. The lapsee is the Church of England.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 09:26:45 AM »
My problem is that they make no account of previous marriage or divorced. It seems the Catholic church are damning his previous wives by seeing them as nought while cockahoop at gaining a celebrity lapsee.
I must admit that I really don't get their justification.

It seems to be that he isn't really divorced because his previous marriages weren't valid as they didn't take place in the RCC. But if that is the case the RCC should surely be happy to marry anyone not previously married in the RCC even if they are still married but the ceremony took place elsewhere as that person, in their eyes, wouldn't be in a valid marriage. I can't imagine they would so the RCC considers a marriage elsewhere to be valid while still in place but not valid when the person is divorced. Complete non-sense.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 09:35:54 AM »
Complete non-sense.

This is an organisation whose official doctrine is that wafers and wine literally transform into human tissue when you eat them after the right ceremony. Asking for their pronouncements to make sense seems like a fools errand to me.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply