Author Topic: Euro 2020  (Read 4873 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Euro 2020
« on: June 23, 2021, 10:15:25 AM »
Now that Scotland is out and England will almost certainly follow after their next match, we can all relax and start enjoying the Euros - except the Welsh of course.

Any stand out moments for anybody so far?

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Euro 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »
Now that Scotland is out and England will almost certainly follow after their next match, we can all relax and start enjoying the Euros - except the Welsh of course.

Any stand out moments for anybody so far?
The Schick goal, and the 1 minutes applause for Eriksen,

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »
The Schick goal, and the 1 minutes applause for Eriksen,
Also add in the Netherlands/Ukraine game and the Germany/Portugal game.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 07:04:26 PM »
Well done to England, though I was in the main watching Federer at Wimbledon
 Very open now . All teams from the Group of Death now out.

ad_orientem

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 11:32:22 PM »
It's fucking coming home lads!
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Outrider

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 08:33:34 AM »
It's fucking coming home lads!

In the sense that the final is at Wembley?  ;D

I think it's a clear path to the final now for England, no-one left in that side of the draw should worry them (but don't forget Iceland last time out!) but I can't see a scenario where England have enough guile and nous to beat one of Italy, Belgium or Spain if they get to the final. I shall be ardently supporting Switzerland for the next week or so, personally.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 05:51:31 PM »
In the sense that the final is at Wembley?  ;D

I think it's a clear path to the final now for England, no-one left in that side of the draw should worry them (but don't forget Iceland last time out!) but I can't see a scenario where England have enough guile and nous to beat one of Italy, Belgium or Spain if they get to the final. I shall be ardently supporting Switzerland for the next week or so, personally.

O.

I think they could beat Spain but Italy and Belgium are both too good. However, I fully expect us to screw it up before then.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 06:20:21 PM »
I think they could beat Spain but Italy and Belgium are both too good. However, I fully expect us to screw it up before then.
I think they can beat Spain and Italy, remember if they make the final they will be playing at home. I think the Belgians would be tough but they need De Bruyne to be fit.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »
However, I fully expect us to screw it up before then.
I'm thankful that this prediction has come from you Jeremy, given the accuracy of your earlier one:

'Now that Scotland is out and England will almost certainly follow after their next match, we can all relax and start enjoying the Euros - except the Welsh of course.'

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 06:12:14 PM »
I'm thankful that this prediction has come from you Jeremy, given the accuracy of your earlier one:

'Now that Scotland is out and England will almost certainly follow after their next match, we can all relax and start enjoying the Euros - except the Welsh of course.'

Yeah, I got that completely wrong. However, considering we've never beaten Germany in the knockout stage of a competition, the precedents were in my favour.

ad_orientem

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 10:09:16 PM »
Fuck me! We were prime Italy or Germany today.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 10:18:21 PM »
Fuck me! We were prime Italy or Germany today.
Excellent performance.

Outrider

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
A good result for Spain against Italy on Tuesday would be a nice bonus heading into Wednesday's match against Denmark - but for Denmark too I suppose.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 11:13:43 PM »

Outrider

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 09:04:58 AM »
Given Spain's display last night, I think the best outcome as far as England are concerned is that the game went to extra time. Getting the job done in 90 minutes against Denmark would give England their best chance, but Italy are going to be a tough ask.

Seeing where they made their chances against Spain, though, I think England's more cautious approach will leave fewer holes at the back, but I don't know that will help because I can't see them having the same success at keeping the ball as Spain did.

That said, they've still got to get past Denmark. Here's hoping...

O.

Enki

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 11:53:27 AM »
I have every hope for England, and so far I've been pretty impressed. One word of warning though, we haven't yet seen how England would react if they go a goal down, especially early in the game. If they do actually get to the final, and Italy score first, they will undoubtedly slow the game down and  become defensive. Italy are past masters of this.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 12:43:24 PM »
I have every hope for England, and so far I've been pretty impressed. One word of warning though, we haven't yet seen how England would react if they go a goal down, especially early in the game. If they do actually get to the final, and Italy score first, they will undoubtedly slow the game down and  become defensive. Italy are past masters of this.
To be fair it's s bit difficult to deal with going a goal behind when you have not conceded a goal in 5 games. The group games they looked a bit sluggish with only 2 goals but the knock out stages have seen them get better and better. Part of me wants the fairytale for Denmark but if England get through, I hope they win. I think they should but it will be huge pressure on them, and Italy have an astounding unbeaten run.

In addition, Italy are holders of the Unofficial Football World Championships and its spinoffs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unofficial_Football_World_Championships

Outrider

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 01:24:53 PM »
To be fair it's s bit difficult to deal with going a goal behind when you have not conceded a goal in 5 games. The group games they looked a bit sluggish with only 2 goals but the knock out stages have seen them get better and better. Part of me wants the fairytale for Denmark but if England get through, I hope they win. I think they should but it will be huge pressure on them, and Italy have an astounding unbeaten run.

In addition, Italy are holders of the Unofficial Football World Championships and its spinoffs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unofficial_Football_World_Championships
I get what you mean about the sluggishness in the group stage, but I'm not entirely sure that's not just Southgate playing tournament football; in the group stages the emphasis is on not losing, building up that confidence, and then in the knock-out stages it's about trying to conserve energy by avoiding extra-time and the nervousness of penalties.

O.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 08:34:16 PM »
Well, we are going to find out now. What a goal!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2021, 08:44:47 PM »
And what a response!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2021, 10:06:43 PM »
England deserve to win

SusanDoris

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 06:31:00 AM »
Definitely exciting enough to keep me awake and listening to it all on FiveLive!!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 08:44:35 PM »
An apparent Lib Dem, a certain dangerous offensive fuckwit

https://twitter.com/jwahjwah/status/1412931098145873932?s=19
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 09:11:30 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 08:48:03 PM »
Pity that some fan(s) did this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001

Roses

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2021, 03:31:15 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57779541

Some Danish fans were attacked by England supporters! I hope they catch those filthy sewer rats and send them down. >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."