Author Topic: Euro 2020  (Read 4860 times)

ad_orientem

Re: Euro 2020
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2021, 09:20:27 AM »
Defintely putting pineapple on all my bloody pizzas from now on.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2021, 10:07:50 AM »

Does this mean something in the footballing world, cos I'm not getting the reference  :-\
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2021, 10:16:14 AM »

"......there's no place like Rome..."
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2021, 10:27:46 AM »
Does this mean something in the footballing world, cos I'm not getting the reference  :-\

The Iltalian fans had a banner which read "Stop putting pineapple on pizza".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2021, 10:38:10 AM »
The Iltalian fans had a banner which read "Stop putting pineapple on pizza".

Oh, I see  ;D

Mind you, generally I'd be with them on that particular culinary abomination!
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2021, 10:40:06 AM »
Gary Neville, the former England international right-back and pundit, on Sky Sports News this morning:

"The taking of the knee was ridiculed by our top-ranking government officials. So when we get racist abuse after a football match at the end of a tournament, I expect it. Because it exists, and it’s actually promoted by the prime minister. I knew as soon as Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka missed last night, I knew we would be waking up this morning to stories of racist abuse."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2021, 10:41:58 AM »
Gary Neville, the former England international right-back and pundit, on Sky Sports News this morning:

"The taking of the knee was ridiculed by our top-ranking government officials. So when we get racist abuse after a football match at the end of a tournament, I expect it. Because it exists, and it’s actually promoted by the prime minister. I knew as soon as Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka missed last night, I knew we would be waking up this morning to stories of racist abuse."

Just posted this elsewhere myself with my added thoughts on Johnson:

Boris Johnson through and through. As with Covid he'll take the applause when things go right but deny all responsibility when things go wrong. Unlike Gareth Southgate who has shown what it is to be a true leader.

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2021, 11:20:34 AM »
Penalties are a horrible way to decide the outcome of a game. Incredible pressure on a goalie and a handful of players. Bukayo Saka was distraught and comforted by Southgate who knew just what he was experiencing. At 19yrs old Saka was very courageous to step-up to the plate.

Jordan Pickford made two wonderful saves.

The England lads can hold their heads high having given some great performances during the tournament.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2021, 11:42:23 AM »

Why more folk haven't seen through this self centred hypocrite beats me.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

SusanDoris

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2021, 12:55:04 PM »

"The taking of the knee was ridiculed by our top-ranking government officials
Can you say which ones? I shall write to my MP and express my condemnation of such idiocy.
What do shadow ministers and other Party members have to say? Are they quoted too?

The so-called security guards seem to have been easily intimidated by thugs.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2021, 01:17:06 PM »
Can you say which ones? I shall write to my MP and express my condemnation of such idiocy.
What do shadow ministers and other Party members have to say? Are they quoted too?

You can start with Pritti Patel:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-taking-knee-boo-england-b1865409.html

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2021, 01:17:24 PM »

Boris Johnson, Priti Patel.

Roses

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2021, 01:44:06 PM »
I had no interest in watching the match last night. I was shocked to learn on the news this morning of the awful racist abuse directed at the three England players who failed to score in the penalty shoot out. >:( The idiot fans without tickets who tried to storm the football ground hurting some police officers in the process, should be banned from ever attending any match again, imo. >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2021, 02:00:13 PM »
I had no interest in watching the match last night. I was shocked to learn on the news this morning of the awful racist abuse directed at the three England players who failed to score in the penalty shoot out. >:( The idiot fans without tickets who tried to storm the football ground hurting some police officers in the process, should be banned from ever attending any match again, imo. >:(
Pity that racism was promoted by the PM and the Home Secretary

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2021, 02:01:26 PM »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-taking-knee-boo-england-b1865409.html
Sayeeda Warsi in reply to Priti Patel tweet condemning the racism

'Priti -we as govt, as @Conservatives need to think about our role in feeding this culture in our country
If we “whistle” & the”dog” reacts we cant be shocked if it barks &bites
It’s time to stop the culture wars that are feeding division
Dog whistles win votes but destroy nations'
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:20:45 PM by Nearly Sane »

SusanDoris

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2021, 04:58:54 PM »

Thank you. I have e-mailed MP. The sooner that Priti Patel is side-tracked somewhere, the better, say I.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2021, 06:54:07 PM »
Thank you. I have e-mailed MP. The sooner that Priti Patel is side-tracked somewhere, the better, say I.
Can you do Johnson as well?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/07/boris-johnson-refuses-to-condemn-fans-booing-england-taking-the-knee

SusanDoris

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2021, 06:51:38 AM »
Can you do Johnson as well?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/07/boris-johnson-refuses-to-condemn-fans-booing-england-taking-the-knee
I have looked at the article but as it was a spokesman for the PM, not the PM himself, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Reply from MP - 'Noted D'

There never will of course be a PM who is above criticism and for the mmoment, I think it's better the devl you know ...

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
I have looked at the article but as it was a spokesman for the PM, not the PM himself, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Reply from MP - 'Noted D'

There never will of course be a PM who is above criticism and for the mmoment, I think it's better the devl you know ...
He's a lying incompetent racist corrupt thug.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2021, 09:24:02 AM »
Thanks to Natalie Elphicke, Boris and pretty and the Spectator the notion of the common englishman as a partner in the Great tory reset has been  scorched. The tories at last admitted because they couldn't eventually keep it in that the Englishman is uncouth and unwashed fodder.

Roses

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2021, 11:16:44 AM »
Thanks to Natalie Elphicke, Boris and pretty and the Spectator the notion of the common englishman as a partner in the Great tory reset has been  scorched. The tories at last admitted because they couldn't eventually keep it in that the Englishman is uncouth and unwashed fodder.

Is there a translation for that gobbledegook? ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

ad_orientem

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »
Is there a translation for that gobbledegook? ::)

I can never understand a word he says either. It could be a deliberate tactic in order to hide underlying bollocks.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2021, 06:26:58 PM »
I think I'm actually quite pleased we failed to win. Had we done so, I think there would have been a "bread and circuses" effect.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2021, 07:16:14 PM »
I think I'm actually quite pleased we failed to win. Had we done so, I think there would have been a "bread and circuses" effect.

I agree. I was dreading us winning. Which is a shame for the team because I would have liked them to win. For the country - not so much.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2021, 08:01:42 PM »
I agree. I was dreading us winning. Which is a shame for the team because I would have liked them to win. For the country - not so much.
I was ambivalent, domestic violence goes up more with defeats than victories but both increase it. What the better outcome depends on perspective.