Author Topic: Consciousness & evolution  (Read 26494 times)

Outrider

Re: Consciousness & evolution
« Reply #375 on: July 30, 2021, 02:49:43 PM »
It is a fact that in western societies there has not been much of a history of secular spirituality divorced from religion.  Christianity and Islam have had a bad time due to scientific progress (Adam & Eve, six day creation etc.).

Whilst there is a logical, and perhaps sociological, exercise to conducted in separating 'religious' and 'spiritual', in practical terms they are both unevidenced assertions; so far as rational enquiry is concerned, they are both lacking in evidentiary bases.

The failure of religious mythology has made all suggestions of unseen causes or quasi physical forces seem dubious and delusional.   This is a mistake.  You are throwing out the baby with the bathwater and overlooking real phenomena. 

On the contrary, any number of unseen causes and 'quasi-physical' forces are well-established foundations of the modern scientific understanding of the world: strong and weak nuclear forces are literally considered to be foundational aspects of our current understanding. What you're trying to refer to aren't forces at all, they aren't effects, they are assertions about phenomena for which no causal evidence can be found. They are, functionally, not there. That's not to do with a 'Western dismissal of spirituality' in some throwing the baby out with the bath-water fit of intellectual pique, that's you recognising the Western distinction between rational enquiry and religious doctrine and mistaking which side of the divide spiritual claims falls into.

What you are suggesting are not phenomena, they are attempts at explanations for phenomena. People under extreme physical duress reporting sensory experiences is the phenomenon, no-one is disputing this happens. Your attempted explanation is 'spiritual', with nothing more than your assertion to back it. Rational science points to the measurements of ischemic damage and chemical breakdown of neurotransmitters in the brain triggering activity that would normally be the result of coordinated sensory and brain activity. Your phenomena are our phenomena; your explanations are lacking.

Many unseen and quasi physical forces do exist and they do influence our lives.

I know.

Western minds are only now beginning to open out to such possibilities (outside religious myths).

Western people are as entitled to believe without evidence as anyone else; it doesn't make it right. Millions of white people can be wrong, just like millions of people of any other ethnic persuasion.

All suggestions of quasi or exotic or extra physical phenomena need not be delusional.

No, they need not be. In order for maintaining the belief in them not to be delusional, however, you either need support for them, or to be unaware of better explanations that do have a basis. You can claim neither of these.

Once these possibilities are recognized, new ways of looking at the world and its origins will develop and this will bring about new methodologies and new ways of examining these phenomena.

Fine, bring that new methodology. But you don't have a methodology, you just have 'don't look at the evidence, listen to waffle'... that's not a methodology, that's the abrogation of integrity.

That is when a new science will develop.

You keep using that word, science - I don't think it means what you think it means. Science is not the understanding we have, and it's not the theories that explain phenomena - they are the product of science. Science is a rigorous method, and that's what you don't have - you have no method, you have no means of eliminating personal bias, no means of reducing the effects of subjectivity, no ability to isolate claimed effects and test them, you just have old claims wrapped in shiny new packaging hoping to hang on the coat-tails of actual science.

It is beginning to happen...slowly.

No, there are a few fringe thinkers who want to be deep, and a few charlatans who want to be Deepak, but underneath it all at the moment is nothing of merit.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #376 on: July 31, 2021, 06:47:34 AM »
Whilst there is a logical, and perhaps sociological, exercise to conducted in separating 'religious' and 'spiritual', in practical terms they are both unevidenced assertions; so far as rational enquiry is concerned, they are both lacking in evidentiary bases.

On the contrary, any number of unseen causes and 'quasi-physical' forces are well-established foundations of the modern scientific understanding of the world: strong and weak nuclear forces are literally considered to be foundational aspects of our current understanding. What you're trying to refer to aren't forces at all, they aren't effects, they are assertions about phenomena for which no causal evidence can be found. They are, functionally, not there. That's not to do with a 'Western dismissal of spirituality' in some throwing the baby out with the bath-water fit of intellectual pique, that's you recognising the Western distinction between rational enquiry and religious doctrine and mistaking which side of the divide spiritual claims falls into.

What you are suggesting are not phenomena, they are attempts at explanations for phenomena. People under extreme physical duress reporting sensory experiences is the phenomenon, no-one is disputing this happens. Your attempted explanation is 'spiritual', with nothing more than your assertion to back it. Rational science points to the measurements of ischemic damage and chemical breakdown of neurotransmitters in the brain triggering activity that would normally be the result of coordinated sensory and brain activity. Your phenomena are our phenomena; your explanations are lacking.

I know.

Western people are as entitled to believe without evidence as anyone else; it doesn't make it right. Millions of white people can be wrong, just like millions of people of any other ethnic persuasion.

No, they need not be. In order for maintaining the belief in them not to be delusional, however, you either need support for them, or to be unaware of better explanations that do have a basis. You can claim neither of these.

Fine, bring that new methodology. But you don't have a methodology, you just have 'don't look at the evidence, listen to waffle'... that's not a methodology, that's the abrogation of integrity.

You keep using that word, science - I don't think it means what you think it means. Science is not the understanding we have, and it's not the theories that explain phenomena - they are the product of science. Science is a rigorous method, and that's what you don't have - you have no method, you have no means of eliminating personal bias, no means of reducing the effects of subjectivity, no ability to isolate claimed effects and test them, you just have old claims wrapped in shiny new packaging hoping to hang on the coat-tails of actual science.

No, there are a few fringe thinkers who want to be deep, and a few charlatans who want to be Deepak, but underneath it all at the moment is nothing of merit.

O.

Yes....I am attempting to explain phenomena and why they exist.  There may not be any answer to 'why'....is a cop-out!

The scientific method is fine for certain phenomena.....just as a microscope is useful to examine certain phenomena. But it cannot be used everywhere. That becomes scientism. We need different methodologies to examine different types of phenomena. These have to be developed in line with the nature of the phenomenon. 

Outrider

« Reply #377 on: July 31, 2021, 10:47:31 PM »
Yes....I am attempting to explain phenomena and why they exist.

But you aren't supporting your explanations with anything more compelling than 'but I like the idea.'

There may not be any answer to 'why'....is a cop-out!

That's the most fundamental error that you're making - in presupposing the existence of a reason, you are begging the question 'what's the reason'. You have to establish a basis for thinking there is one.

The scientific method is fine for certain phenomena.....

No, the scientific method is fine for ALL phenomena. You devise possible explanations for those phenomena, identify the implications of those explanations and then identify tests that could confirm or refute those implications as a way to validate or repudiate those initial explanations. There is no restriction on what the explanation could be, no limitation on what the tests could be... there is no phenomenon that is beyond science's theoretical application.

just as a microscope is useful to examine certain phenomena.

You are conflating a tool - the microscope - with a methodology - scientific enquiry.

But it cannot be used everywhere.

If you can detect it, if you can measure it, you can use the scientific method to investigate it. If you can't detect, and can't measure it... it's not a phenomenon, it's a rumour.

That becomes scientism.

No, scientism is the suggestion that science is the only way to conduct such an investigation; if you want to suggest an alternative, crack on.

We need different methodologies to examine different types of phenomena.

I'm all ears.

These have to be developed in line with the nature of the phenomenon.

Arguable. You develop tools to suit the nature of the phenomenon in question, perhaps, but to select a particular methodology for a particular phenomenon runs the risk of confirmation bias. Better, if you have an alternative methodology, is to run both and see if they concur.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #378 on: August 12, 2021, 01:11:20 PM »

It is a fact that in western societies there has not been much of a history of secular spirituality divorced from religion.  Christianity and Islam have had a bad time due to scientific progress (Adam & Eve, six day creation etc.).
No they have had a bad time because of fundamentalism. Early 20th century american christians were not nearly as fundamentalist (which chiefly expressed itself in literalism), and that is an own goal which antitheists have capitalised by categorising religion not so fundamental as inauthentic christianity.

The fact that a lot of scientists are atheists I think is down to the all too human propensity of elevating one's job to the status of ultimate reality.

Outrider

« Reply #379 on: August 12, 2021, 01:41:25 PM »
No they have had a bad time because of fundamentalism.

It's not clear, I'd say, if the fundamentalism is a response to the decline or a cause. Certainly when fundamentalism expresses itself in situations like Pakistan (Islam), India (Hinduism), Iran (Islam) or sub-Saharan Africa (Christianity and Islam) it's difficult to tie it to a decline in religiosity, so it seems difficult to make the claim for the West. Perhaps the fundamentalism has always been there, and the decline in religiosity has been focussed in the moderate voices, leading to an increase in the proportion of fundamentalism rather than an increase in the number?

Early 20th century american christians were not nearly as fundamentalist (which chiefly expressed itself in literalism), and that is an own goal which antitheists have capitalised by categorising religion not so fundamental as inauthentic christianity.

In what way is it an 'inauthentic' Christianity? It's believed as profoundly (arguably moreso) as the moderate forms. Christianity is the accumulation of beliefs of Christians, their input is as (in)valid as anyone else's.

The fact that a lot of scientists are atheists I think is down to the all too human propensity of elevating one's job to the status of ultimate reality.

The fact that a lot of scientists are atheists is a mixture of the fact that, in the modern world, a lot of people are atheists, and amongst people higher levels of logical processing-type intelligence and longer time spent in further education both correlate with atheism and scientific achievement.  Whether one could be intrinsically said to lead to another or not is, I think, difficult to establish.

O.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #380 on: August 12, 2021, 03:11:15 PM »
It's not clear, I'd say, if the fundamentalism is a response to the decline or a cause. Certainly when fundamentalism expresses itself in situations like Pakistan (Islam), India (Hinduism), Iran (Islam) or sub-Saharan Africa (Christianity and Islam) it's difficult to tie it to a decline in religiosity, so it seems difficult to make the claim for the West. Perhaps the fundamentalism has always been there, and the decline in religiosity has been focussed in the moderate voices, leading to an increase in the proportion of fundamentalism rather than an increase in the number?
In America the failure of science education as opposed to the success of Biblical literalism is an interesting phenomenon due in great part to economic systems in regional America which deprived a scientific education....or any education to many.
In what way is it an 'inauthentic' Christianity? It's believed as profoundly (arguably moreso) as the moderate forms.
I think i've either not made myself clear or you are reading what you want to see. The point I am making is that it is antitheism which sees Fundamentalist Christianity as the authentic form and antitheism which considers the moderate forms as inauthentic
  Christianity is the accumulation of beliefs of Christians, their input is as (in)valid as anyone else's.
I would certainly like to see you expand on that.
The fact that a lot of scientists are atheists is a mixture of the fact that, in the modern world, a lot of people are atheists, and amongst people higher levels of logical processing-type intelligence and longer time spent in further education both correlate with atheism and scientific achievement.  Whether one could be intrinsically said to lead to another or not is, I think, difficult to establish.
Or like almost every job that is consuming, Scientists just want to veg out with a budweiser rather than philosophise, or meditate and pray.

One might ask why scientists are usually dismissive of philosophy and subsequently notably piss poor at it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 03:14:53 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Outrider

« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
In America the failure of science education as opposed to the success of Biblical literalism is an interesting phenomenon due in great part to economic systems in regional America which deprived a scientific education....or any education to many.

And yet Biblical literalism is prevalent amongst the apparently educated as much as the uneducated, and indeed is part of the ongoing struggle to get the state to pay for the private (religious) schooling rather than restricting state funding to the secular state education system. The mainstay of religious literalism isn't in the uneducated of the US, it's in the celebrity theologians and the well-funded private schools and universities.

I think i've either not made myself clear or you are reading what you want to see. The point I am making is that it is antitheism which sees Fundamentalist Christianity as the authentic form and antitheism which considers the moderate forms as inauthentic.

I see. I can't speak for everyone, but I think you've misunderstood; I see no basis by which you could determine that one was more or less 'authentic' than the other.

I would certainly like to see you expand on that.

Regardless of whether you think you, or anyone else, has the definitive idea of what Christian behaviour 'should' be, the reality is that there is a range of behaviours manifested by Christians ostensibly as a manifestation of their faith; if their belief is leading them to that behaviour, it is Christianity. Therefore Christianity is just the accumulation of the behaviour of all the Christians.

Or like almost every job that is consuming, Scientists just want to veg out with a budweiser rather than philosophise, or meditate and pray. One might ask why scientists are usually dismissive of philosophy and subsequently notably piss poor at it.

Scientists are people, and people in general tend to view philosophy as navel-gazing with a thesaurus. I'm not sure you can presume something about scientists particularly from that, unless you've something that says they're more prone to that attitude than the general populace.

O.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #382 on: August 12, 2021, 06:46:35 PM »
And yet Biblical literalism is prevalent amongst the apparently educated as much as the uneducated, and indeed is part of the ongoing struggle to get the state to pay for the private (religious) schooling rather than restricting state funding to the secular state education system. The mainstay of religious literalism isn't in the uneducated of the US, it's in the celebrity theologians and the well-funded private schools and universities.
It's doubtful that a lot of these universities are so. There is a case to be said that these are vanity projects. I'm afraid the uneducted are the mainstay of religious literalism since they are ultimately the poor suckers paying the celebrity theologians.
I see. I can't speak for everyone, but I think you've misunderstood; I see no basis by which you could determine that one was more or less 'authentic' than the other.
It's not rocket science to know that someone like yourself thinks it's all crap but unfortunately for you Biblical literalism has been an easy target and New and celebrity Atheism has made it their focus. Indeed one of your chiefs Sam Harris has suggested that inside every moderate there is an evil fundamentalist christian waiting to be unleashed
Regardless of whether you think you, or anyone else, has the definitive idea of what Christian behaviour 'should' be, the reality is that there is a range of behaviours manifested by Christians ostensibly as a manifestation of their faith; if their belief is leading them to that behaviour, it is Christianity. Therefore Christianity is just the accumulation of the behaviour of all the Christians.
unfortunately following your logic any behaviour could be categorised as Christian and of course there is the danger of ending up with the type of cartoon caricature christianity Sam Harris suffers from opposing.

Scientists are people, and people in general tend to view philosophy as navel-gazing with a thesaurus.
But acting as if such philistinism is a virtue isn't the way to be for a reasonable person is it?

Outrider

« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2021, 07:20:24 PM »
It's doubtful that a lot of these universities are so. There is a case to be said that these are vanity projects. I'm afraid the uneducted are the mainstay of religious literalism since they are ultimately the poor suckers paying the celebrity theologians.

Doubtful a lot of universities do what? Teach hard-core literalist Christianity? A lot of them probably don't, but enough of them do that it's noticably different from the higher education establishments of other western nations. The uneducated are the cash-cow, certainly, but in a world where reality is regularly taught and reinforced you need an alternative media apparatus to push the fairy tale lest it disappear the way of Thor and Zeus.

It's not rocket science to know that someone like yourself thinks it's all crap

It's not rocket science for anyone. You just need to look at the myriad different sects and cults you get of each religious belief system to realise that there is no definitive 'correct' interpretation, even if you presume one of those belief systems has somehow managed to glom onto the 'real' god(s).

but unfortunately for you Biblical literalism has been an easy target and New and celebrity Atheism has made it their focus.

I fail to see how the easy target presented by one subgroup of Christians is an unfortunate system for me; it shows that somehow the divine message of an all-knowing, all-powerful timeless genius can't explain what he really wants in terms that the common man can understand.

Indeed one of your chiefs Sam Harris has suggested that inside every moderate there is an evil fundamentalist christian waiting to be unleashed

Sam Harris is a man with opinions, which stand or fall on their own merits. We aren't a 'church', we aren't some monolith failing to sing from an appropriately concordant hymn sheet. Atheism does not have a doctrine; I agree with Sam Harris on some things, I disagree with him on others, and that's fine because neither of us is pretending there is some immutable creed that we're supposed  to be following.

unfortunately following your logic any behaviour could be categorised as Christian

Yep.

and of course there is the danger of ending up with the type of cartoon caricature christianity Sam Harris suffers from opposing.

No, we all suffer because not enough people are opposing it. You might not like to think that it's 'your' brand Christianity, but it's a politically, socially and economically powerful movement that is fundamentally undermining people's rights, freedoms and happiness in real terms on a daily basis, both in their own country and overseas. It is the evil of Christianity, washed out 'moderate' Anglicanism is only a significant problem to the extent that it offers a veil of respectability for other more harmful nonsense.

But acting as if such philistinism is a virtue isn't the way to be for a reasonable person is it?

If anyone was doing that, you'd have a point, but no-one was. I was merely pointing out that trying to single out scientists on that is something of a straw-man - as we've noted above, there are enough seriously motivated Christians that don't think all the way through the philosophy, and who come to far more worrisome conclusions because of it.

O.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #384 on: August 12, 2021, 07:51:34 PM »
Doubtful a lot of universities do what? Teach hard-core literalist Christianity? A lot of them probably don't, but enough of them do that it's noticably different from the higher education establishments of other western nations. The uneducated are the cash-cow, certainly, but in a world where reality is regularly taught and reinforced you need an alternative media apparatus to push the fairy tale lest it disappear the way of Thor and Zeus.

It's not rocket science for anyone. You just need to look at the myriad different sects and cults you get of each religious belief system to realise that there is no definitive 'correct' interpretation, even if you presume one of those belief systems has somehow managed to glom onto the 'real' god(s).

I fail to see how the easy target presented by one subgroup of Christians is an unfortunate system for me; it shows that somehow the divine message of an all-knowing, all-powerful timeless genius can't explain what he really wants in terms that the common man can understand.

Sam Harris is a man with opinions, which stand or fall on their own merits. We aren't a 'church', we aren't some monolith failing to sing from an appropriately concordant hymn sheet. Atheism does not have a doctrine; I agree with Sam Harris on some things, I disagree with him on others, and that's fine because neither of us is pretending there is some immutable creed that we're supposed  to be following.

Yep.

No, we all suffer because not enough people are opposing it. You might not like to think that it's 'your' brand Christianity, but it's a politically, socially and economically powerful movement that is fundamentally undermining people's rights, freedoms and happiness in real terms on a daily basis, both in their own country and overseas. It is the evil of Christianity, washed out 'moderate' Anglicanism is only a significant problem to the extent that it offers a veil of respectability for other more harmful nonsense.

If anyone was doing that, you'd have a point, but no-one was. I was merely pointing out that trying to single out scientists on that is something of a straw-man - as we've noted above, there are enough seriously motivated Christians that don't think all the way through the philosophy, and who come to far more worrisome conclusions because of it.

O.
Doubtful a lot of these universities can rightly be called universities. Doubtful that the celebrity theologians behind it actually aren't fully conscious of what sells.

My problem isn't with scientists but New atheists who happen to be scientists.

I also have a problem with anglicanism at the moment but these are probably different from the problems you have with it. Mine will probably be justified but yours in all probability won't.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2021, 08:20:59 PM »

But that is non sequitur to my point which is that it is the antitheists who ignore the contributions of the non literalist church almost entirely and focus on the contribution to christianity of a certain type......motivated by the ease of the target.

This avoidance of the contribution of the more philosophically abled end of the church and indeed philosophy itself is at best intellectual laziness but IMV more likely fear that a challenge to your scientism might ensue. That's why the likes of Harris contemplate that the 'moderate' christian is really a fundamentalist in disguise, because it is a soothing little fairy tale and being a neurologist he probably ought to know it too.

Outrider

« Reply #386 on: August 13, 2021, 09:18:53 AM »
But that is non sequitur to my point which is that it is the antitheists who ignore the contributions of the non literalist church almost entirely and focus on the contribution to christianity of a certain type......motivated by the ease of the target.

No. We've had any number of people point out here that there remain issues with the inherent privilege of the Anglican church's tax arrangements, with the institutional homophobia of most of Christianity, of the Roman Catholic Church's instutional cover-up of paedophile activity... yes, there are people making the case (mainly in the US, it seems to me) about the more fundamentalist Christianity's problematic stances, but they are the more pressing threat over there.

This avoidance of the contribution of the more philosophically abled end of the church and indeed philosophy itself is at best intellectual laziness but IMV more likely fear that a challenge to your scientism might ensue.

No, it's more a case that anyone who's tried to theologise their way through Christianity has had to remove so much of the nonsense to try to make sense of anything that it's become philosophically harmless; the remaining problems with the Anglican community are institutional and political, not much (with the possible exception of the homophobia) appear to be theological.

That's why the likes of Harris contemplate that the 'moderate' christian is really a fundamentalist in disguise, because it is a soothing little fairy tale and being a neurologist he probably ought to know it too.

No. Sam Harris is living in America, and talking about American Christianity, which is significantly more fundamentalist than here in the UK. He's talking about the very real threat that he sees around him, in his politics, on his TV, in his towns and cities. We've managed to civilise Christianity in the UK, that's still a work in progress over there.

O.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #387 on: August 13, 2021, 03:52:21 PM »

Here is something more on evolution and consciousness...

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01537/full

the question of how the mind emerged in evolution (the mind-evolution problem) is tightly linked with the question of how the mind emerges from the brain (the mind-body problem). It seems that the evolution of consciousness cannot be resolved without first solving the “hard problem” (Chalmers, 1995). Until then, I argue that strong claims about the evolution of consciousness based on the evolution of cognition are premature and unfalsifiable.

Outrider

« Reply #388 on: August 13, 2021, 04:04:40 PM »
Here is something more on evolution and consciousness...

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01537/full

the question of how the mind emerged in evolution (the mind-evolution problem) is tightly linked with the question of how the mind emerges from the brain (the mind-body problem). It seems that the evolution of consciousness cannot be resolved without first solving the “hard problem” (Chalmers, 1995). Until then, I argue that strong claims about the evolution of consciousness based on the evolution of cognition are premature and unfalsifiable.

All of the possible valid or invalid arguments against consciousness being an emergent property of the brain's activity are in no way any sort of support for your claim of 'quasi-physical' outside influences 'pushing' consciousness into people from outside.

If you want to support your contention, go ahead and support it. We're still waiting... still...

O.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #389 on: August 16, 2021, 04:43:44 PM »
No. We've had any number of people point out here that there remain issues with the inherent privilege of the Anglican church's tax arrangements, with the institutional homophobia of most of Christianity,
But these people have failed to recognise their own religiophobia.IMO.

Outrider

« Reply #390 on: August 17, 2021, 08:15:06 AM »
But these people have failed to recognise their own religiophobia.IMO.

Ad hominem responses just suggest that you don't actually have an argument against the case put forward, you know that right?

O.

Gordon

• Administrator

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #392 on: August 21, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »
Interesting article: worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/21/neuroscientist-anil-seth-we-risk-not-understanding-the-central-mystery-of-life
Came across this bit......''Daniel Dennett’s definition of consciousness as a “trillion mindless robots dancing”.............anybody care to explain why this inspires them?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: August 22, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
Came across this bit......''Daniel Dennett’s definition of consciousness as a “trillion mindless robots dancing”.............anybody care to explain why this inspires them?

I'll be happy enough if they keep on dancing for as long as possible.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #394 on: August 22, 2021, 08:03:17 AM »
I'll be happy enough if they keep on dancing for as long as possible.
:)Long May your robots dance, Gordon.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #395 on: August 22, 2021, 08:17:13 AM »
:)Long May your robots dance, Gordon.

Thank you, Vlad.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #396 on: August 22, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »
...because they are big fans of "Strictly" and they might then go on to solve the even bigger mystery...how the fuck did Bill Bailey win?!!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #397 on: August 22, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »
.how the fuck did Bill Bailey win?!!

Cos the public gets what the public wants.....
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2021, 02:27:17 PM »

An interesting video interview about Consciousness with Dr. Sam Parnia (about 12 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcCDlxFkAcY

torridon

« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2021, 08:55:19 PM »