Author Topic: Methodists affirm gay marriage.  (Read 31175 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Methodists affirm gay marriage.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 07:30:36 AM »
Good news: it will be interesting to see just how many current members jump ship.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »
The CofS may go down the samer road. Whilst not having an issue with secular gay marriage, no matter how I try to interpret it, I cannot bring Scripture to endorse it in the church. If the Kirk does endorse it, I will have to jump ship - reluctantly.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 11:20:00 AM »
Good news: it will be interesting to see just how many current members jump ship.

Very interesting indeed.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
The CofS may go down the samer road. Whilst not having an issue with secular gay marriage, no matter how I try to interpret it, I cannot bring Scripture to endorse it in the church. If the Kirk does endorse it, I will have to jump ship - reluctantly.
But there are all sorts of things in scripture which aren't endorsed by various christian denominations any more, including the CofS. Why are you making an exception for gay marriage - sounds as if this is more about you rather than whether gay marriage is endorsed or not by scripture.

But on topic, great news and well done the Methodists for showing some moral courage to do the right thing.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 01:30:16 PM »
But there are all sorts of things in scripture which aren't endorsed by various christian denominations any more, including the CofS. Why are you making an exception for gay marriage - sounds as if this is more about you rather than whether gay marriage is endorsed or not by scripture.

But on topic, great news and well done the Methodists for showing some moral courage to do the right thing.

I'm not making exceptions.
Several deliverences by General Assemblies over the past few years have departed from what I understand as the accepted doctrine of the faith.
Whilst the Kirk tries to be a broad church, the limits have been stretched and exceeded.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »
Churches need to move with the times, there is nothing wrong with being gay, so why shouldn't they have a church wedding if they wish? I know I have said it boringly often, but I do hope that guy Jesus had been gay, and enjoyed a good sex life.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 01:49:09 PM »

I'm not making exceptions.
Several deliverences by General Assemblies over the past few years have departed from what I understand as the accepted doctrine of the faith.
Whilst the Kirk tries to be a broad church, the limits have been stretched and exceeded.

Except you kind of are, because you didn't jump ship over the previous departures. So why choose this one?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 02:04:44 PM »
Except you kind of are, because you didn't jump ship over the previous departures. So why choose this one?
Exactly

Robbie

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »
It is excellent news.

I know and have known a lot of people from many Christian denoms, including clergy. They have mostly been in favour of this but it isn't up to them, the hierarchy makes the final decision.

These things take time and you'd be surprised at the number of people who change their minds over the years, realising their fears and misgivings are unfounded.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 04:53:47 PM »
It is excellent news.

I know and have known a lot of people from many Christian denoms, including clergy. They have mostly been in favour of this but it isn't up to them, the hierarchy makes the final decision.

These things take time and you'd be surprised at the number of people who change their minds over the years, realising their fears and misgivings are unfounded.
Absolutely.

Prior to a change happening the post-change situation often seems odd which is why people sometimes hang onto the current status quo. But once the change has been made, and certainly after a few years, the pre-change position can seem bizarre in the extreme.

In the CofE we've had women priests for a couple of decades now - and the idea of a woman vicar seems entirely normal. And the notion that a woman was banned from being a vicar seems completely bizarre and unacceptable, indeed almost horrifying in its lack of equality. I'm sure in time christian denominations (once they have accepted that gay people can marry within their churches as I've no doubt most ultimately will) will look back in horror at a time when they turned a couple away simply because they were same sex.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »

I think he has made himself clear. He has no issue with secular Gay marriage and he isn't making an exception for Gay marriage but gay holy matrimony, it seems to me. The question of whether a marriage is Holy is one for God and not some committee or mass deputation.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 07:23:44 PM »
Churches need to move with the times
Which times are these ? 'done Brexit, the rich-poor divide, modern slavery, climate change, Alienation within an increasingly secular society' ? zeitgeist, shitegeist.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 07:47:45 PM »
The question of whether a marriage is Holy is one for God and not some committee or mass deputation.

So leave it to God then and not the Churches. If the deity is everything it's cracked up to be, I'm sure the deity will sort out any wrongdoers at the Pearly Gates.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 08:08:28 PM »
I think he has made himself clear. He has no issue with secular Gay marriage and he isn't making an exception for Gay marriage but gay holy matrimony, it seems to me. The question of whether a marriage is Holy is one for God and not some committee or mass deputation.
And yet the issue of whether it is allowed in a faith is decided by people as this decision shows. A god is irrelevant till you show such a thing is even logically coherent, and you haven't managed that in so many many years.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2021, 08:09:21 PM »
Which times are these ? 'done Brexit, the rich-poor divide, modern slavery, climate change, Alienation within an increasingly secular society' ? zeitgeist, shitegeist.
Why are you so homophobic?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2021, 10:16:00 PM »

It isn't just this one, TV. The liberalisation of doctrine in general is not the way I think we should go.
I'm no fundamentalist - nor ever will be - but there are ceryain issuse - unrelated to the gay marriage thing, or, for that matter, sexuality of any strand, which have concerned ceryain of the more evangelical types in the Kirk.
There's an ongoing stushie over baptism which is equally, perhaps more important, and these things just add up.
My problem is : where do I go?
I hesitate to go to the Baptist church - I'm a bit iffy toward their ministry team; the congregational church seems a possibility as does a local independent Christian fellowship.
The time's coming when I may be forced to decide.

BeRational

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2021, 10:48:35 PM »

It isn't just this one, TV. The liberalisation of doctrine in general is not the way I think we should go.
I'm no fundamentalist - nor ever will be - but there are ceryain issuse - unrelated to the gay marriage thing, or, for that matter, sexuality of any strand, which have concerned ceryain of the more evangelical types in the Kirk.
There's an ongoing stushie over baptism which is equally, perhaps more important, and these things just add up.
My problem is : where do I go?
I hesitate to go to the Baptist church - I'm a bit iffy toward their ministry team; the congregational church seems a possibility as does a local independent Christian fellowship.
The time's coming when I may be forced to decide.

What a dilemma
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 11:14:06 PM »
Why are you so homophobic?
I deny Homophobia.....since until very recently it wasn't an issue. I am not against gay marriage and gay holy matrimony is a matter for God. There are even churches where they will happily marry gays which is a huge blow to atheists who weaponise homosexuality for their own purposes.
Moving with the times is in certain cases tantamount to committing the fallacy of modernity, that is all.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 11:22:53 PM »
So leave it to God then and not the Churches. If the deity is everything it's cracked up to be, I'm sure the deity will sort out any wrongdoers at the Pearly Gates.
Well wrong doing and I guess wrong doers need sorting out in at least one sense. How do you mean ''sorted out''?

We have a split in the church on Gay holy matrimony but I am no expert in this.

I have to admit the idea of a group of people writing down what God should be thinking and giving God orders for the Day rather comical. We laugh at crazed televangelists ordering God about in the US. How is the idea of a load of snotty sounding home counties liberals and humanists listing what God should do any less amusing?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 11:32:02 PM »
And yet the issue of whether it is allowed in a faith is decided by people as this decision shows. A god is irrelevant till you show such a thing is even logically coherent, and you haven't managed that in so many many years.
If people do not believe in God, and think God irrelevant why would they be worried about Holy matrimony?
That sounds like wanting cake and eating it. God finds logical coherence in the new form of the Kalam cosmological argument, simulated universe theory. That is probably the most comprehensible argument for atheists who have been wallowing in shite philosophy for the last two or three decades.(Longer for Humeians)

Outrider

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 11:38:04 PM »

At the risk of playing Devil's Advocate, it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, no?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 11:38:44 PM »
I deny Homophobia.....since until very recently it wasn't an issue. I am not against gay marriage and gay holy matrimony is a matter for God. There are even churches where they will happily marry gays which is a huge blow to atheists who weaponise homosexuality for their own purposes.
Moving with the times is in certain cases tantamount to committing the fallacy of modernity, that is all.
So you fully support civil gay marriage, and gay marriage in your church?

Enki

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 11:39:11 PM »
I don't necessarily move with the times, only if I consider something that I'm being asked to move to is as far as possible, sensible, rational, humane and productive to the health of the society I live in. In this case, if the community of any church decide that their church should accept gay marriage, I happily concur.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 12:02:51 AM »
So you fully support civil gay marriage, and gay marriage in your church?
I recall a previous discussion on this. In fact many. I seem to recall saying I had no objection to Gay marriage and then things got silly as I was then asked if I really, really had no objection to Gay marriage. Of course everybody has a right to marriage.

I suspect your wording of ''fully support'' even the face of me registering exactly my position to be verging on similar inquisitorial silliness.

If you are a doughty defender of the gay community then they are lucky to have your dedication, interest and expertise and if you thence classify anything less than that Homophobia then I guess there is little I can do about it.