Author Topic: Methodists affirm gay marriage.  (Read 31382 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Methodists affirm gay marriage.
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2021, 10:18:04 AM »
Caught cherrypicking yourself because acts describes the events which led to declaring circumcision not to have anything to do with Salvation.

Not really. Just highlighting the inherent contradictions within the good book that undermine my ability to take it at all seriously as a coherent guide to living a good life.

This whole debate is tiresome in the extreme.

I'll leave you all to it with this final thought. Jesus never did say anything about gay people and yet some Christians are fixated on gay people but not on financial snake oil salesman on which Jesus did have some words. In fact the evangelism of which you speak earlier now seem to have morphed into a monster that relies on said snake oil salesman. And yet some of you good Christian folk take aim at a group of people the suppression of whom act as a dog whistle to the adoring evangelical crowd. I realise this is to some extent a US phenomenon, but look at the amount of money being poured by said US evangelism into the persecution of gay people in Africa. You should actually hang your head in shame that you claim to have Christianity in common with these people. Christians talk of morality and allow this to happen:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/5050/africa-us-christian-right-50m/

Get your own house in order.

With that, I'm fucking off for awhile. You are pissing me off royally. I mean as in, I'm a queen and I'm really annoyed.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:21:35 AM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2021, 11:04:25 AM »
Not really. Just highlighting the inherent contradictions within the good book that undermine my ability to take it at all seriously as a coherent guide to living a good life.

This whole debate is tiresome in the extreme.

I'll leave you all to it with this final thought. Jesus never did say anything about gay people and yet some Christians are fixated on gay people but not on financial snake oil salesman on which Jesus did have some words. In fact the evangelism of which you speak earlier now seem to have morphed into a monster that relies on said snake oil salesman. And yet some of you good Christian folk take aim at a group of people the suppression of whom act as a dog whistle to the adoring evangelical crowd. I realise this is to some extent a US phenomenon, but look at the amount of money being poured by said US evangelism into the persecution of gay people in Africa. You should actually hang your head in shame that you claim to have Christianity in common with these people. Christians talk of morality and allow this to happen:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/5050/africa-us-christian-right-50m/

Get your own house in order.

With that, I'm fucking off for awhile. You are pissing me off royally. I mean as in, I'm a queen and I'm really annoyed.
A shame. I would have loved to have discussed the disgracing of Christianity by it's professing members. You will note that I'm not even using the word apparent.

Roses

« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2021, 11:15:14 AM »
A shame. I would have loved to have discussed the disgracing of Christianity by it's professing members. You will note that I'm not even using the word apparent.

It is you who is disgracing the faith with your nonsensical posts! ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Outrider

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2021, 11:18:44 AM »
The question may be asked of the gender neutral view of marriage

The question "who decided that the gender neutral view of marriage was in any sense authoritative?"?

Society at large - the interpretation of successive courts and governments on the interpretation of the stated human right to equal treatment regardless of sex, gender or sexual identity has consistently been that a gender neutral (and religiously neutral) view of marriage should be adopted.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »
Vlad,

Cakes, bakers, buses,bad analogy.

No, it's a good analogy. Either you think some rights available to straight people (eg, “holy” matrimony) should be denied to gay people because of sexual orientation or you don’t. The question is analogous to whether you think some rights available to white people (eg sitting at the front of the bus) should be denied to black people on the ground of race.

Your frankly embarrassing defence (“yes, but some churches do allow the full Monty to gay people even though mine doesn’t”) is exposed by the analogy too – you could equally say, “yes, but some bus companies allow black people to sit at the front even though mine doesn’t” as if that somehow made your bus company fine and dandy.     

I think we can agree that there is more than one model of marriage.

I’ve said as much several times here.

The universal traditional models include man/ woman, men/women and man/women.

You’ve already been corrected on this – various societies practiced polygamous marriage (and still do) so there’s no universality about it, and in any case so what? Marriage is a human-made construction, not some kind of universal law. 

The Christian model is a version of this universal tradition whereby a man and a woman take up the challenge of a partnership consisting partly of sociological, psychological and biological distinctiveness and difference which involves God at all stages.

Not according to you it isn’t. “The Christian model” as you put it these days seems to involve some denominations that practice equal “holy” marriage (but not yours), and some that retain their homophobic practices (yours).   

I think we can agree tthat this model holds no de facto monopoly on or claim to  a definitive description or soul model of matrimony. Therefore I feel free to accept the notion of same sex marriage which is a gender neutral model. You are now claiming that this should have the monopoly.

Why have you just lied about that? As I said perfectly clearly – have as many types of marriage as you like. I really don’t care, let alone suggest that one of them should have a monopoly. What I am saying though is, regardless of the type of marriage concerned, if you allow it for straight people and deny it to gay people that’s homophobic. Once again therefore: how do you square your claim to be not homophobic with your espousal of a church (and therefore its god narrative) that is homophobic?   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2021, 11:54:41 AM »
Vlad,

No, it's a good analogy. Either you think some rights available to straight people (eg, “holy” matrimony) should be denied to gay people because of sexual orientation or you don’t. The question is analogous to whether you think some rights available to white people (eg sitting at the front of the bus) should be denied to black people on the ground of race.

Your frankly embarrassing defence (“yes, but some churches do allow the full Monty to gay people even though mine doesn’t”) is exposed by the analogy too – you could equally say, “yes, but some bus companies allow black people to sit at the front even though mine doesn’t” as if that somehow made your bus company fine and dandy.     

I’ve said as much several times here.

You’ve already been corrected on this – various societies practiced polygamous marriage (and still do) so there’s no universality about it, and in any case so what? Marriage is a human-made construction, not some kind of universal law. 

Not according to you it isn’t. “The Christian model” as you put it these days seems to involve some denominations that practice equal “holy” marriage (but not yours), and some that retain their homophobic practices (yours).   

Why have you just lied about that? As I said perfectly clearly – have as many types of marriage as you like. I really don’t care, let alone suggest that one of them should have a monopoly. What I am saying though is, regardless of the type of marriage concerned, if you allow it for straight people and deny it to gay people that’s homophobic. Once again therefore: how do you square your claim to be not homophobic with your espousal of a church (and therefore its god narrative) that is homophobic?
If a totalitarian antitheist government ordered churches to give holy matrimony services to gay people who would be there to measure the holiness? Would the gender neutral model of marriage have the monopoly?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2021, 12:12:27 PM »
Vlad,

If a totalitarian antitheist government ordered churches to give holy matrimony services to gay people who would be there to measure the holiness? Would the gender neutral model of marriage have the monopoly?

What the hell latest incoherent diversionary tactic is this? You espouse a church that has a type of marriage service that it makes available to straight people and denies to gay people. That’s homophobic.

Do you or do you not think that the homophobic practices of your church are morally acceptable? 

It’s a simple enough question isn’t it?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2021, 12:15:27 PM »
Vlad,

I would have loved to have discussed the disgracing of Christianity by it's professing members.

By which you can only mean the non-homophobic ones then. 

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2021, 12:34:37 PM »
Vlad,

What the hell latest incoherent diversionary tactic is this? You espouse a church that has a type of marriage service that it makes available to straight people and denies to gay people. That’s homophobic.

Do you or do you not think that the homophobic practices of your church are morally acceptable? 

It’s a simple enough question isn’t it?
No, no, no you don't get out of the charge of antichristian, antireligious and wanting to stop religious expression in public forums that easily.

It's all very well calling for gender neutral religious matrimony but how does that look. Since , under the law of the land I am not homophobic. How should things change to "dehomophobe holy matrimony. " How can your fantasy situation be realised beyond your mere sloganising?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2021, 12:48:04 PM »
Vlad,

No, no, no you don't get out of the charge of antichristian, antireligious and wanting to stop religious expression in public forums that easily.

Utter fucking bollocks. Either you think it’s morally fine for your church to be homophobic or you don’t. Which is it?

It's all very well calling for gender neutral religious matrimony but how does that look.

It looks like institutions functioning non-homophobically.

Since , under the law of the land I am not homophobic.

It’s not about “the law of the land”, it’s about the meanings of words and your church (and it seems you) functioning according to those words.

How should things change to "dehomophobe holy matrimony. "

By making it available equally to straight and to gay people. Obviously.

How can your fantasy situation be realised beyond your mere sloganising?

Easily, but irrelevant in any case.

Yet again: do you or do you not think that the homophobic practices of your church are morally acceptable?

Why do you keep throwing all the diversionary incoherence you can at this simple question rather than just answer it?

God

Roses

« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2021, 01:42:10 PM »

It's all very well calling for gender neutral religious matrimony but how does that look. Since , under the law of the land I am not homophobic. How should things change to "dehomophobe holy matrimony. " How can your fantasy situation be realised beyond your mere sloganising?

If you weren't homophobic you would expect all churches, including your own, to perform same sex marriages. If the  Biblical god character, should it exist, is homophobic, it doesn't deserve to be worshipped.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:40:58 PM by Littleroses »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2021, 03:38:36 PM »
Vlad,

Utter fucking bollocks. Either you think it’s morally fine for your church to be homophobic or you don’t. Which is it?

It looks like institutions functioning non-homophobically.

It’s not about “the law of the land”, it’s about the meanings of words and your church (and it seems you) functioning according to those words.

By making it available equally to straight and to gay people. Obviously.

Easily, but irrelevant in any case.

Yet again: do you or do you not think that the homophobic practices of your church are morally acceptable?

Why do you keep throwing all the diversionary incoherence you can at this simple question rather than just answer it?
so the take away here is a non homophobic church running holy matrimony looks like a non homophobic
Organisation. Fucking meaningless.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2021, 03:39:59 PM »
If you weren't homophobic you would expect all churches, including your own, to perform same sex marriages. If the god Biblical god character, should it exist, is homophobic, it doesn't deserve to be worshipped.
Isn't it time you left this board again?

Roses

« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »
Isn't it time you left this board again?

I think this forum would benefit if you were no longer a member.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2021, 03:46:03 PM »
I think this forum would benefit if you were no longer a member.
Yes have a religion and ethics message board, then get rid of the religious.

Roses

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2021, 03:51:17 PM »

Your posts don't display your faith in a very good light. 'Depart from me for I never knew you', might be the message you would receive should you try to enter the pearly gates.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2021, 03:58:56 PM »
Vlad,

so the take away here is a non homophobic church running holy matrimony looks like a non homophobic
Organisation. Fucking meaningless.

No, the take away is exactly the opposite of that: a church that precisely is homophobic because it offers “holy” matrimony services to straight people but denies them to gay people looks like (and is) a homophobic church.

You for some reason are a fan of this homophobia, while at the same time claiming to be non-homophobic yourself. When asked how you square that circle so far you’ve tried every diversionary stunt in the Vlad playbook – you’ve ignored the question, lied about the question, tried to re-define the terms you don’t like to suit your purpose, tried the “some of my best friends are Jewish” defence, and attacked the motives of the person explaining the facts – all to avoid the facts themselves. Finally and when all else has failed, you’ve collapsed into baldly re-stating the facts to be the complete opposite of the facts. 

So now you’ve exhausted every lying escape clause you can think of, here it is again: do you or do you not think that the homophobic practices of your church are morally acceptable?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 04:09:55 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2021, 04:01:32 PM »
Vlad,

No, have a religion and ethics message board then "get rid of" the liars. As generally I'm not a fan of getting rid of anyone though, exposing the lying is the next best option.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2021, 04:13:30 PM »
Vlad,

No, have a religion and ethics message board then "get rid of" the liars. As generally I'm not a fan of getting rid of anyone though, exposing the lying is the next best option.
Do you want gender neutral marriage to be the only type of marriage and how logically can non gender neutral models be turned into gender neutral models. In other words how are you going to police these non gender neutral to see that they are general neutral? Deny it a not you are in a bind.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2021, 04:21:23 PM »
And while we are about it how do you intend to police ANY marriage to see that it is properly gender neutral?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2021, 04:28:11 PM »
Vlad,

Do you want gender neutral marriage to be the only type of marriage and how logically can non gender neutral models be turned into gender neutral models.

"Gender neutral" meaning non-homophobic you mean? Yes, as a general principle I thinks affording rights to straight people while denying the same rights to gay people is indefensible. Why don't you?

In other words how are you going to police these non gender neutral to see that they are general neutral? Deny it a not you are in a bind.

Another dishonest evasion. There is no bind - how you'd enforce something is entirely a separate matter from whether or not it's morally defensible.

So, and yet again: do you or do you not think that the homophobic practices of your church are morally acceptable?

If you intend never to answer that, why not just say so? After all, it'd save you a lot more lying evasiveness if you did.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2021, 06:04:23 PM »
Vlad,

"Gender neutral" meaning non-homophobic you mean? Yes, as a general principle I thinks affording rights to straight people while denying the same rights to gay people is indefensible. Why don't you?

Another dishonest evasion. There is no bind - how you'd enforce something is entirely a separate matter from whether or not it's morally defensible.

So, and yet again: do you or do you not think that the homophobic practices of your church are morally acceptable?

If you intend never to answer that, why not just say so? After all, it'd save you a lot more lying evasiveness if you did.

Gender neutral because that is the only incontrovertible thing about it.
Homophobic in this context has the curse of Linguistic fascism and gerrymandering about it. Particularly when you are about .

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2021, 06:25:06 PM »
Gender neutral because that is the only incontrovertible thing about it.
Homophobic in this context has the curse of Linguistic fascism and gerrymandering about it. Particularly when you are about .

Vlad

Please answer this question: if your preferred Christian grouping is prepared to marry mixed-sex couples but outright refuses to marry same-sex couples, then are they being overtly homophobic?

A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice as an answer.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2021, 06:31:14 PM »
Vlad

Please answer this question: if your preferred Christian grouping is prepared to marry mixed-sex couples but outright refuses to marry same-sex couples, then are they being overtly homophobic?

A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice as an answer.
Daft question and expected response.Since some refusals will be homophobic and some won't.

Roses

« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2021, 06:36:26 PM »
Daft question and expected response.Since some refusals will be homophobic and some won't.

It is your responses that are daft and meaningless. ::)