Author Topic: Methodists affirm gay marriage.  (Read 31038 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Methodists affirm gay marriage.
« Reply #650 on: August 06, 2021, 09:50:04 PM »
Vlad the Homophobe,

And so the pattern repeats. You post a string of ad homs, logical fallacies, evasions, straw men etc but never, ever, ever an argument of your own. I take the time and trouble to correct you on each of them using actual arguments. You then just ignore all the corrections you been given, and instead try another string of…

ad homs, logical fallacies, evasions, straw men etc

Your error at root was always equating science with materialism.

That’s not an error. Science is materialistic. What else do you think it might be: fairyistic? Leprechaunistic? Religious faith-istic?

Jeez – when you crash and burn there are no half measures are there.

Regarding alleged homophobia…

It’s not “alleged” – it’s actual. Your own words condemn you on this point.

…driven theophobes, antitheists, antichristians, people suspisciously acting as if they are inviting us to snigger at the lack of intellectual and social sophistication of amazonians, ant god worshippers, ancients and people who live in glasshouses shouldn't really be throwing stones.

Yes I know that ad homs are all you have, but even if any of that was true (and none of it is) either the arguments that demonstrate your homophobia stand or they don’t. As you (apparently proudly) continue to espouse your homophobia, whatever mad motives you want to make up and ascribe to me are entirely irrelevant: you peddle a homophobic god and a homophobic church. Either finally address that or don’t, but dishonest ad homs are just more of your avoidance.   

Your do realise that Jesus would be disgusted with you for your behaviour here right? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #651 on: August 07, 2021, 10:46:55 AM »
Vlad the Homophobe,

And so the pattern repeats. You post a string of ad homs, logical fallacies, evasions, straw men etc but never, ever, ever an argument of your own. I take the time and trouble to correct you on each of them using actual arguments. You then just ignore all the corrections you been given, and instead try another string of…

ad homs, logical fallacies, evasions, straw men etc

That’s not an error. Science is materialistic. What else do you think it might be: fairyistic? Leprechaunistic? Religious faith-istic?

Jeez – when you crash and burn there are no half measures are there.

It’s not “alleged” – it’s actual. Your own words condemn you on this point.

Yes I know that ad homs are all you have, but even if any of that was true (and none of it is) either the arguments that demonstrate your homophobia stand or they don’t. As you (apparently proudly) continue to espouse your homophobia, whatever mad motives you want to make up and ascribe to me are entirely irrelevant: you peddle a homophobic god and a homophobic church. Either finally address that or don’t, but dishonest ad homs are just more of your avoidance.   

Your do realise that Jesus would be disgusted with you for your behaviour here right?
How many fucking times do you need to be reminded that science does not equate to materialism and that philosophical materialism doesn't just comprise of thinking that science is the best way of finding things out. Or that a driven religiophobe lecturing someone on homophobia is faintly ridiculous.

You are justifying your religiophobia on historic damage done fine, no doubt a homophobe would justify their phobia on the historic damage done by homosexual excess by the Roman aristocracy.

I think we're done here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:56:33 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Roses

« Reply #652 on: August 07, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
Vlad drags Christianity through the sewer, I reckon he is Satan's best buddy.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #653 on: August 07, 2021, 12:49:50 PM »
Vlad drags Christianity through the sewer, I reckon he is Satan's best buddy.
And what effect have 'nice' christians, prepared to shut up and be quiet, had on your antitheism?

When you say Satan, what on earth can a professed atheist mean by that ?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #654 on: August 07, 2021, 01:26:13 PM »
Vlad the Homophobe,

How many fucking times do you need to be reminded that science does not equate to materialism and that philosophical materialism doesn't just comprise of thinking that science is the best way of finding things out.

Just out of interest, if I offered you £1m do you think even then you’d be able to post something that isn’t flat out lying? Or is your dishonesty so pathological that you just can’t stop yourself from doing it?

First, no-one has said that science “equates” to materialism. What has been said though is that all science is materialistic. Science is the systematic building and organising of knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the material universe. There’s no such thing as non-materialistic science – for that matter, there’s no good reason to think there even is a "non-materialistic".

Second, philosophical materialism exactly does mean that the material is the most reliable (actually the only) paradigm we have for understanding the universe. I know you’ve always tried to straw man philosophical materialism into physicalism (the view that all that exists is necessarily ultimately physical) but just using another lie for your premise blows you out of the water before you even begin.     

Or that a driven religiophobe lecturing someone on homophobia is faintly ridiculous.

We’ve already covered your reliance on the ad hom as an avoidance tactic. Just attacking the motives (also dishonestly as it happens) of the person making the arguments that undo you is only avoidance of the arguments themselves. You’re a homophobe. We know that because you keep espousing homophobic opinions. Whether the person pointing this out is a “theophobe” or anything else you want to make up has absolutely no relevance to the arguments that expose you for what you are.     

You are justifying your religiophobia on historic damage done fine, no doubt a homophobe would justify their phobia on the historic damage done by homosexual excess by the Roman aristocracy.

Gibberish. Try to focus here: you’re a homophobe, and a self-confessed one at that. Deal with it or don’t, but the fact of it doesn’t change.

I think we're done here.

Yes, we're always “done” when you finally run out of lies to tell.

Why do I keep having a recurring image Jesus sobbing with his head in his hands each time he sees you trashing everything he stood for?   

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #655 on: August 07, 2021, 01:31:13 PM »
Vlad the Homophobe,

And what effect have 'nice' christians, prepared to shut up and be quiet, had on your antitheism?

No-one here asks nice Christians to shut up and be quiet. What actually happens here is that some of us try to persuade one not at all nice (supposed) Christian to stop lying.

When you say Satan, what on earth can a professed atheist mean by that ?

"Satan" is another Christian fantasy figure (see also "god"). If there was such a thing though, he sure struck gold when he found you. 

God

Roses

« Reply #656 on: August 07, 2021, 01:53:11 PM »
If Satan exists he must be awarding Vlad gold medal status for his evil presentation of Christianity. >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #657 on: August 07, 2021, 01:54:31 PM »
If Satan exists he must be awarding Vlad gold medal status for his evil presentation of Christianity. >:(
You didn't answer my questions. Typical antitheist disrespect?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #658 on: August 07, 2021, 02:06:51 PM »
VtH,

You didn't answer my questions. Typical antitheist disrespect?

Said the person who's never, ever, ever answered any questions that other people have ever asked him?

Epic hypocrisy here don't you think?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:32:48 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #659 on: August 07, 2021, 02:32:21 PM »
VG,

No, talking about schools and particular religious practices might… etc

Are you familiar with the Gish Gallop? It’s technique in which a debater attempts to overwhelm an opponent with a scattergun volley of arguments, assertions etc such that it’s impossible to respond to them individually without taking excessive time and effort. The person using the technique then looks for whatever’s inevitable been missed by his opponent and uses the omission to claim his “victory”. I mention it because we always seem to reach the same point, only in your case the technique is the opposite of the Gish Gallop: you write posts of such overwhelming length that it’s impossible to address them without taking even more space to do it.

If you want to refine your key points and arguments into digestible form I’ll be pleased to respond to them. In the meantime though I’ve skim read your post, and the brief responses to (what I think are your key points) are as follows:

1. Beliefs that there must be “something more out there” seem to me to be fairly obviously on the same continuum as our species’ need to seek patterns and explanations. “Must be” and “is” are not the same thing, and better it seems a conspiracy theory than no theory at all - at least for some.   

2. Beliefs can and do change when further and better information is available. They tend to do so less readily though when the beliefs are not evidence-based to start with.

3. All the research I can find indicates that later life sexual orientation is substantially fixed by the time of birth, just as eye colour is.

4. Critiqueing the methodologies of the studies we do have is not the same thing as producing studies with different results. More research being need does not invalidate the only research on the table so far.

5. Of course babies don’t report same sex attraction (or any sexual attraction for that matter). Sexual attraction occurs later in life when hormonal development triggers it, but the studies we have tell us that it’s most likely latent at birth nonetheless. The same is true of eye colour.

6. Your unqualified assertions were about the impact of societal cultures on sexual orientation.

7. The references to environmental factors concern inter-uterine environments rather than societal ones, and even the family issue (the correlation between increased homosexuality and having older brothers) seems to be to do with hormones the mother produces before birth.

As I say though, happy to respond to specific issues if I've missed them.

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #660 on: August 08, 2021, 11:44:49 AM »
VG,

Are you familiar with the Gish Gallop? It’s technique in which a debater attempts to overwhelm an opponent with a scattergun volley of arguments, assertions etc such that it’s impossible to respond to them individually without taking excessive time and effort. The person using the technique then looks for whatever’s inevitable been missed by his opponent and uses the omission to claim his “victory”. I mention it because we always seem to reach the same point, only in your case the technique is the opposite of the Gish Gallop: you write posts of such overwhelming length that it’s impossible to address them without taking even more space to do it.

If you want to refine your key points and arguments into digestible form I’ll be pleased to respond to them. In the meantime though I’ve skim read your post, and the brief responses to (what I think are your key points) are as follows:

1. Beliefs that there must be “something more out there” seem to me to be fairly obviously on the same continuum as our species’ need to seek patterns and explanations. “Must be” and “is” are not the same thing, and better it seems a conspiracy theory than no theory at all - at least for some.   

2. Beliefs can and do change when further and better information is available. They tend to do so less readily though when the beliefs are not evidence-based to start with.

3. All the research I can find indicates that later life sexual orientation is substantially fixed by the time of birth, just as eye colour is.

4. Critiqueing the methodologies of the studies we do have is not the same thing as producing studies with different results. More research being need does not invalidate the only research on the table so far.

5. Of course babies don’t report same sex attraction (or any sexual attraction for that matter). Sexual attraction occurs later in life when hormonal development triggers it, but the studies we have tell us that it’s most likely latent at birth nonetheless. The same is true of eye colour.

6. Your unqualified assertions were about the impact of societal cultures on sexual orientation.

7. The references to environmental factors concern inter-uterine environments rather than societal ones, and even the family issue (the correlation between increased homosexuality and having older brothers) seems to be to do with hormones the mother produces before birth.

As I say though, happy to respond to specific issues if I've missed them.
BHS the evasive hypocrite

Given your unwillingness to respond to specific points, and as you seem to think we are opponents rather than 2 people on a message board having a discussion, clearly there is no sensible discussion to be had with you here so I thought I would channel you in your posts to Vlad, given how similar your above post is to some of Vlad's posts that you take issue with.

It's quite hypocritical of you to castigate Vlad for being evasive and not addressing points made and repeating assertions, when you have done the same thing here. Saying that you are happy to respond to specific issues issues when you have quite clearly not responded to the specific issues I raised just wastes both our times.

Actions speak louder than words. Trying to dress up your evasiveness with references to the gish gallop won't work. I have experienced this before with you - you make vague assertions and when i pin you down you duck out of responding.  On another thread a while ago you told me you were a bit busy and would respond to my post later and then kept ducking out of responding when I reminded you.

I think we both know that you are not going to respond to the specific points I raised - either because you are only on here to showboat rather than have an honest discussion, or because you lack the intellectual capacity, and maybe your monumental ego prevents you from having an honest discussion if your assertions are questioned.

Your own links are far more nuanced in their opinions. if anyone reads them they can see that many of your assertions are not as clear cut as you make out. Which makes sense as the people who carried out the studies you linked to are far too intelligent to make the simplistic assertions you make.

Regarding point 6 - if you quote the unqualified assertions about the impact of societal cultures on sexual orientation that you are referring to, I can then assess and respond accordingly. It may be that you misunderstood my point or it may be that I need to refer to links that I interpreted when I formed my opinion. Your own links spoke about the impact of societal cultures.

In any case, my point about sexual orientation being impacted by societal culture has been about the labels people use for themselves, not whether people who are sufficiently developed to experience sexual attraction feel attracted to people of the same sex, the opposite sex, or both.

Regarding the feeling of sexual attraction itself I think there is a psychological component to sexual attraction. This 2018 article linking to studies of animals  raises the idea that considering the extensive similarities between primates and humans, it is reasonable to expect that homoerotic alliance formation, and the related social functions of tension reduction and reconciliation, might play a role in human homoerotic behavior https://psychotherapy.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.psychotherapy.2016.70.3.251

The article also links to studies that appear to show that "homoerotic behavior has been noted to increase in same-sex settings including schools, prisons, and religious institutions such as nunneries" though it also supports the genetic component that "it is likely that genetic and early (even prenatal) environmental factors produce a given level of motivation on each dimension that varies between individuals, although research will have to prove this supposition."
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #661 on: August 08, 2021, 12:11:52 PM »
VG,

Given your unwillingness to respond to specific points, and as you seem to think we are opponents rather than 2 people on a message board having a discussion, clearly there is no sensible discussion to be had with you here so I thought I would channel you in your posts to Vlad, given how similar your above post is to some of Vlad's posts that you take issue with.

It's quite hypocritical of you to castigate Vlad for being evasive and not addressing points made and repeating assertions, when you have done the same thing here. Saying that you are happy to respond to specific issues issues when you have quite clearly not responded to the specific issues I raised just wastes both our times.

Actions speak louder than words. Trying to dress up your evasiveness with references to the gish gallop won't work. I have experienced this before with you - you make vague assertions and when i pin you down you duck out of responding.  On another thread a while ago you told me you were a bit busy and would respond to my post later and then kept ducking out of responding when I reminded you.

I think we both know that you are not going to respond to the specific points I raised - either because you are only on here to showboat rather than have an honest discussion, or because you lack the intellectual capacity, and maybe your monumental ego prevents you from having an honest discussion if your assertions are questioned.

Your own links are far more nuanced in their opinions. if anyone reads them they can see that many of your assertions are not as clear cut as you make out. Which makes sense as the people who carried out the studies you linked to are far too intelligent to make the simplistic assertions you make.

Regarding point 6 - if you quote the unqualified assertions about the impact of societal cultures on sexual orientation that you are referring to, I can then assess and respond accordingly. It may be that you misunderstood my point or it may be that I need to refer to links that I interpreted when I formed my opinion. Your own links spoke about the impact of societal cultures.

In any case, my point about sexual orientation being impacted by societal culture has been about the labels people use for themselves, not whether people who are sufficiently developed to experience sexual attraction feel attracted to people of the same sex, the opposite sex, or both.

Regarding the feeling of sexual attraction itself I think there is a psychological component to sexual attraction. This 2018 article linking to studies of animals  raises the idea that considering the extensive similarities between primates and humans, it is reasonable to expect that homoerotic alliance formation, and the related social functions of tension reduction and reconciliation, might play a role in human homoerotic behavior https://psychotherapy.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.psychotherapy.2016.70.3.251

The article also links to studies that appear to show that "homoerotic behavior has been noted to increase in same-sex settings including schools, prisons, and religious institutions such as nunneries" though it also supports the genetic component that "it is likely that genetic and early (even prenatal) environmental factors produce a given level of motivation on each dimension that varies between individuals, although research will have to prove this supposition."

Are you feeling unwell or something?

First, I always answer questions; Vlad never answer questions. You're comparing chalk with cheese here.

Second, I merely explained that posting great rambling tracts makes it almost to respond. I also gave you bullet point replies to the points I thought were attempting, and offered to reply more precisely if you would condense your points into digestible form.

What more do you expect?       

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #662 on: August 08, 2021, 12:23:06 PM »
VG,

First, I always answer questions; Vlad never answer questions. You're comparing chalk with cheese here.

Second, I merely explained that posting great rambling tracts makes it almost to respond. I also gave you bullet point replies to the points I thought were attempting, and offered to reply more precisely if you would condense your points into digestible form.

What more do you expect?       

I am feeling just fine, thank you for asking. Are you feeling well? Your post was  one long-winded evasion, so very similar to what you accuse Vlad of.

Sure you can call my post rambling (do you mean the parts of it where I quoted from the studies that you linked to and then questioned your interpretation of those sections?) and tell me to comply with your undefined request to "condense" my points "into digestible form" as a way of avoiding responding to the points I raised.

I don't count your repeated assertions as responses. Your own links are far more nuanced in their opinions. if anyone reads them they can see that many of your assertions are not as clear cut as you make out. Which makes sense as the people who carried out the studies you linked to are far too intelligent to make the simplistic assertions that you make on here.

Just a friendly reminder - if you quote the unqualified assertions about the impact of societal cultures on sexual orientation that you are referring to, I can then assess and respond accordingly. It may be that you misunderstood my point or it may be that I need to refer to links that I interpreted when I formed my opinion. Your own links spoke about the impact of societal cultures.

I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #663 on: August 08, 2021, 12:29:07 PM »
VG,

I don’t know why you’re still lying about this but it’s up to you.

I am feeling just fine, thank you for asking. Are you feeling well? Your post was  one long-winded evasion, so very similar to what you accuse Vlad of.

See above.

Sure you can call my post rambling (do you mean the parts of it where I quoted from the studies that you linked to and then questioned your interpretation of those sections?) and tell me to comply with your undefined request to "condense" my points "into digestible form" as a way of avoiding responding to the points I raised.

I don't count your repeated assertions as responses. Your own links are far more nuanced in their opinions. if anyone reads them they can see that many of your assertions are not as clear cut as you make out. Which makes sense as the people who carried out the studies you linked to are far too intelligent to make the simplistic assertions that you make on here.

Just a friendly reminder - if you quote the unqualified assertions about the impact of societal cultures on sexual orientation that you are referring to, I can then assess and respond accordingly. It may be that you misunderstood my point or it may be that I need to refer to links that I interpreted when I formed my opinion. Your own links spoke about the impact of societal cultures.

You’re the kind of person who, when asked for the time, explains how a watch works. Set out you questions or comments clearly and concisely though and I’ll reply to them (as I always do).     

Is that so unreasonable? 

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #664 on: August 08, 2021, 12:37:16 PM »
VG,

There you go everybody. More projection than the nationwide re-opening of cineworld.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #665 on: August 08, 2021, 06:28:43 PM »
VG,

I don’t know why you’re still lying about this but it’s up to you.

See above.

You’re the kind of person who, when asked for the time, explains how a watch works. Set out you questions or comments clearly and concisely though and I’ll reply to them (as I always do).     

Is that so unreasonable?

I see you're still lacking the intellectual capacity to engage. That's up to you - I've experienced your evasiveness before.

I don't count your repeated assertions as responses. Your own links that I quoted back to you are far more nuanced than your simplistic assertions. Which makes sense as the people who carried out the studies you linked to are far too intelligent to make simplistic assertions.

I see you are still having trouble pasting some quotes here of the assertions you say I made about the impact of societal cultures on sexual orientation. I can only assume you were either lying or mistaken. But if you ever get around to doing so, I can then assess and respond accordingly. It may be that you misunderstood my point or it may be that I need to refer to links that I interpreted when I formed my opinion. Your own links spoke about the impact of societal cultures.

Spud

« Reply #666 on: August 13, 2021, 01:44:57 PM »
Who says it has only one primary function? The penis has more than one important function. The hand has multiple functions. As does your mouth.

Nope, won't do. You've declared a primary function without establishing the fact. For all you know God buried the prostate gland up there so that only the truly enlightened could find it.
So, what is the function of the prostate gland?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #667 on: August 13, 2021, 02:22:37 PM »
So, what is the function of the prostate gland?

What? You haven't got Google?

You are just bloody lazy:

https://prostatecancernewstoday.com/2017/03/09/nine-things-the-prostate-gland-does/

In the context I have mentioned pay attention to the fourth item on the list.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 02:25:54 PM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #668 on: August 13, 2021, 02:59:58 PM »

https://prostatecancernewstoday.com/2017/03/09/nine-things-the-prostate-gland-does/

And currently for Gordon and I,  to be a fucking bastard

Spud

« Reply #669 on: August 13, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »

Basically to get sperm to where it needs to go, then.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #670 on: August 13, 2021, 04:47:54 PM »
Is that into your special sock?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #671 on: August 13, 2021, 05:38:53 PM »

If you think that is all it does then I can only picture you walking around with a permanent damp patch in your groin area.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Spud

« Reply #672 on: August 13, 2021, 08:39:19 PM »
If you think that is all it does then I can only picture you walking around with a permanent damp patch in your groin area.
Incorrect. It stops urine entering the urethra but not when you're walking around. The pelvic floor muscles do that.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #673 on: August 13, 2021, 09:42:01 PM »
Incorrect. It stops urine entering the urethra but not when you're walking around. The pelvic floor muscles do that.

I am not incorrect.

If you dispute that, take it up with a urologist. I'm done with stupid for the day.

Spud

« Reply #674 on: August 14, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »
I am not incorrect.

If you dispute that, take it up with a urologist. I'm done with stupid for the day.
If that were the case, wouldn't it be normal for women to have a "permanent damp patch"?