Author Topic: Anybody want to defend..............polygamy?  (Read 1867 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Anybody want to defend..............polygamy?
« on: July 08, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »
If not, why not?

Sebastian Toe

Re: Anybody want to defend..............polygamy?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 02:43:16 PM »
De facto polygamy is not illegal in this country.
Therefore it is defended by law.

Should it be illegal?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:47:11 PM by Sebastian Toe »
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 02:54:10 PM »
De facto polygamy is not illegal in this country.
Therefore it is defended by law.

Should it be illegal?
Being defended by law doesn’t cut much ice round here Seb.....look at the  Cof E’s ability not to conduct same sex marriages.

Is spreading your attention on more than one spouse desirable?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »

Is spreading your love and attention on more than one child desirable?

Being defended by law doesn’t cut much ice round here Seb.....look at the  Cof E’s ability not to conduct same sex marriages.

That might be so, but back to the question.....
Do you think polygamy should be made illegal?

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Outrider

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 04:49:06 PM »
If not, why not?

I'll bite.

In principle, I don't see a problem with multiple marriage - I'm presuming you're not using polygamy in the exclusive sense of one person being married to multiple others of the opposite sex/gender, but rather the broader 'group marriage' concept?

In practical terms I can see that there are opportunities for it to be abused, moreso in some cultures than others, and certainly in the more modern settings the history has been typically one man exerting influence and authority and having multiple wives. That history also dates, though, from a period when in most instances marriage for women was one of the few ways for them to secure any kind of future.

Is our culture ready to accept that sort of relationship yet? I don't know, I've known (or, more often, known of) people who've tried to make a go of being part of a three-way relationship: some of them have worked out, others haven't, but I don't know that it's a large enough sample-set to compare to more conventional relationship performance.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
Is spreading your love and attention on more than one child desirable?

That might be so, but back to the question.....
Do you think polygamy should be made illegal?
I haven’t thought about it and not many people have. Just like millennia of no one mentioning same sex marriages.

No but neither do I think marital and civil partnership benefits should be extended past one spouse or partner.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 06:01:24 PM »
I'll bite.

In principle, I don't see a problem with multiple marriage - I'm presuming you're not using polygamy in the exclusive sense of one person being married to multiple others of the opposite sex/gender, but rather the broader 'group marriage' concept?

In practical terms I can see that there are opportunities for it to be abused, moreso in some cultures than others, and certainly in the more modern settings the history has been typically one man exerting influence and authority and having multiple wives. That history also dates, though, from a period when in most instances marriage for women was one of the few ways for them to secure any kind of future.

Is our culture ready to accept that sort of relationship yet? I don't know, I've known (or, more often, known of) people who've tried to make a go of being part of a three-way relationship: some of them have worked out, others haven't, but I don't know that it's a large enough sample-set to compare to more conventional relationship performance.

O.
I’m interested that you seem to be amenable for a period for people to warm to the idea of polygamy. And yet many here are not allowing that same grace to various churches concerning  how they interpret the recent and socially novel idea of same sex holy matrimony.

That smacks of discrimination on religious grounds to me.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »

I wish you'd quit with the smutty euphemisms.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »
Vlad,

If not, why not?

To the best of my knowledge polygamy is considered a lifestyle choice, not an innate characteristic. You can choose whether or not to be polygamous, but you can’t choose whether or not to be old, black, female, gay etc. so your attempted analogy fails. The discussion about the homophobic god and the homophobic church you espouse is over on the other thread. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »
I wish you'd quit with the smutty euphemisms.
I had to laugh at that.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 06:33:07 PM »

I haven't thought about it and not many people have.
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 07:25:41 PM »
Fine.
Somethings in life are mutually exclusive Sebastian .........like atheist and comedy.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 08:01:22 PM »
Somethings in life are mutually exclusive Sebastian .........like atheist and comedy.

Not having that....OK Gervais is about as funny as a dose of the shits, but this man:

https://youtu.be/CE8ooMBIyC8

Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 08:58:31 PM »

https://youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 09:22:49 PM »
Not having that....OK Gervais is about as funny as a dose of the shits, but this man:

https://youtu.be/CE8ooMBIyC8
Ah yes, no, yes, ooh ah missus, I must resist, but I can't help it, bitter, hand, No Problems restraining , no good

George Carlin was refusing to go on stage once because he felt a little funny, apparently his agent told him to get on stage quickly before it wore off.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 09:28:37 PM »

https://youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw
Tim Minchin apparently refused to go on stage because he felt a little funny. His agent told him to get on stage quick before it wore off.

Outrider

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2021, 08:35:04 AM »
I’m interested that you seem to be amenable for a period for people to warm to the idea of polygamy.

No, not for people to 'warm to the idea', but for cultures to be a place where this won't become a vehicle for oppressive relationship. I think in the UK, most of Europe as well, we could probably manage right now. I don't know enough about the rest of the world to make a call.

And yet many here are not allowing that same grace to various churches concerning  how they interpret the recent and socially novel idea of same sex holy matrimony.

Except that the reasons for hesitancy are very, very different.

That smacks of discrimination on religious grounds to me.

Of course it does, because Christianity has a well-documented history of playing the victim - sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but it doesn't stop the mentality.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints