Author Topic: Deaths of Indigenous Canadian children in religious schools  (Read 552 times)

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct1z26

"As more unmarked graves are discovered at the sites of Canada’s notorious residential schools for indigenous children, what do we know about how the children died?"

Also: https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/jul/09/indigenous-children-who-died-canada-residential-schools-podcast

"Half a century ago, Barry Kennedy was taken from his family and forced into an abusive system that sought to obliterate his Indigenous heritage. Now, after the discovery of more than 1,000 bodies in unmarked graves at schools including his own, he reflects on the traditions that were erased, the friends he lost – and Canada’s new reckoning with that history. Listeners may find parts of this episode, which deals with physical and sexual abuse, distressing"

I remember having a long involved discussion on here with Jonny Canoe and Bubbles (?) on here quite a few years ago, where they were trying blame the problems of the Inuit and First Peoples on the EU. The new finds just add to the evidence that there has been nearly a century of deliberate genocide of these peoples - all under Christian, mostly Catholic, religious supervision.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Roses

Re: Deaths of Indigenous Canadian children in religious schools
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 11:12:24 AM »
The Catholic church should be hanging its head in shame. >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

BeRational

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 11:58:22 AM »

I think they need to get more fire extinguishers
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Robbie

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 09:09:24 AM »
I've read much over the years about the indigenous Australians whose treatment at the hands of settlers was shameful.

Mission schools throughout the world were awful places. Why white Europeans believed they had the right to impose their own values and culture on others is something I will never understand. We are in no way superior to anybody else, end of. Jesus would never have endorsed man's inhumanity to man. What was and is sometimes done in his name is blasphemy.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »

if it were only the RCCC, then, yes, single it out.
It was not.
Other Christian denominations, and some state non-religious schools, followed the state instruction as well, unfortunately.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."