Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 5916 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Olympics
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2021, 11:22:35 AM »
Brilliant performance from the UK's women's rugby 7s against the USA to get into semi finals.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:47:16 AM by Nearly Sane »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2021, 09:41:48 PM »
Brilliant performance from the UK's women's rugby 7s against the USA to get into semi finals.

I watched it.
Superb.
Sevens is a brilliant showcase for the game.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

SusanDoris

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2021, 06:20:56 AM »
I happened to wake up just at the start of the triathlon relay so listened  to it all. Excellent!

Just missed the swimming mixed medley relay, but it seems it was backstroke, then butterfly, then breast stroke then free style. I've heard that Ann Hopkins (?) is five foot six or five foot four, but whichever it is, amazing that she can swim so fast and strongly.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2021, 01:00:09 PM »
Oh, I say, jolly good show! Give that chap a knighthood.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:03:22 PM by Steve H »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SusanDoris

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2021, 01:17:41 PM »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2021, 01:26:08 PM »
what a silly comment.
And a very good day to you too!
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 03:18:02 PM »
what a silly comment.

Surely better and more meaningful than giving knighthoods to Conservative party donors  ;)
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 06:00:59 PM »
Oh, I say, jolly good show! Give that chap a knighthood.
Amazing performance - to retain the gold is quite an achievement.

Just a few Olympics ago the notion that Brits might win any medal in gymnastics was pretty unthinkable - how the gymnastics has developed has been very impressive.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 03:25:46 PM »
what a silly comment.
May I belatedly ask why you thought it silly?

ekim

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 04:34:21 PM »
May I belatedly ask why you thought it silly?
Perhaps Synthetic Dave just read out what you had written and Susan didn't realise that the first part was a link to be clicked on.

SusanDoris

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 05:48:22 PM »
Perhaps Synthetic Dave just read out what you had written and Susan didn't realise that the first part was a link to be clicked on.
thank you for saying and for not having to go back, find the post and then possibly answer.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 08:47:49 AM »

Astonishing performances in the 400m men's hurdles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58067231

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 01:46:44 PM »
And brilliant women's 800 metres.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »
Amazing women's 400m hurdles. And a 13 year old medallist for UK.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:16:44 PM by Nearly Sane »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2021, 09:04:10 PM »
Moderator:

Please note that a number of posts that were part of a discussion on 'trans' participation in the Olympics have been moved and merged into the Trans rights: a perspective' thread in the Politics and Current Affairs board.

SusanDoris

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2021, 06:49:34 AM »
Moderator:

Please note that a number of posts that were part of a discussion on 'trans' participation in the Olympics have been moved and merged into the Trans rights: a perspective' thread in the Politics and Current Affairs board.
Thank you. I had hoped this would be about the action taking place in Japan at the moment.

I hope I happen to have Five Live on when the 4 x 100 m relays take place.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2021, 10:12:42 AM »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2021, 11:13:53 AM »
Didya know that Britain is the only country in the world to have won at least one gold in every modern Olympics? Makes you proud to be British!

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2021, 11:38:38 AM »
Didya know that Britain is the only country in the world to have won at least one gold in every modern Olympics? Makes you proud to be British!
I think that is more about participation that necessarily overall quality. There would have been other teams with the same record had they participated in every tournament, most notably the USA who would also be there but for their boycott of the 1980 games. And actually, on a point of accuracy, the 'British' successes in 1980 were under the Olympic rather than the British flag as Britain officially also boycotted the 1980 games.

Britain, of course, came perilously close to losing that winning streak in 1996 where their woeful record was just one gold, plus eight silver and 6 bronze - another of the legacies of the Thatcher government which systematically removed funding for the development of sport through the 1980s.

SusanDoris

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2021, 12:15:11 PM »
I wonder how much effect the design of the track surface has had:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/03/tokyo-track-designer-reveals-boost-from-new-surface-as-records-fall-at-olympics
Yes, ;I was wondering that too, after hearing various comments on FiveLive. Comments also about specially designed running shoes and spikes etc.
I will look at link later, but I thought I heard some comment about the track being concrete!

Enki

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2021, 12:28:22 PM »
I think that is more about participation that necessarily overall quality. There would have been other teams with the same record had they participated in every tournament, most notably the USA who would also be there but for their boycott of the 1980 games. And actually, on a point of accuracy, the 'British' successes in 1980 were under the Olympic rather than the British flag as Britain officially also boycotted the 1980 games.

Britain, of course, came perilously close to losing that winning streak in 1996 where their woeful record was just one gold, plus eight silver and 6 bronze - another of the legacies of the Thatcher government which systematically removed funding for the development of sport through the 1980s.

Actually I can remember 1952 when GB only won one gold medal,plus two silver and eight bronze. The gold medal was won by Col. Harry Llewellyn riding Foxhunter in the equestrian jumping event.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2021, 12:29:20 PM »
Yes, ;I was wondering that too, after hearing various comments on FiveLive. Comments also about specially designed running shoes and spikes etc.
I will look at link later, but I thought I heard some comment about the track being concrete!
I think it actually has some rubber components plus a hexagonal structure in the running surface. This not only helps to provide shock absorption but also has an element of energy return so may help the athletes perform better.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2021, 12:38:19 PM »
Hugely enjoyable women's pole vault competition

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2021, 09:31:06 AM »
I must admit that i am most disappointed with these Games.

There is now only one day to go and Emperor Naruhito has still not entered the main stadium by parachuting from a helicopter ...
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2021, 11:54:17 AM »
Women's modern pentathlon is hypnotically bizarre and Gold for Kate French of the UK.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:04:02 PM by Nearly Sane »