Author Topic: Assisted Dying for the terminally ill  (Read 682 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Assisted Dying for the terminally ill
« on: August 04, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »
I am aware that we have covered this topic before (couldn't find an old thread) but that the public is so much in favour of this came as a bit of a surprise to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/aug/04/three-in-four-britons-back-assisted-dying-for-terminally-ill-poll?

Our MP's are out of step with public opinion on this.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ProfessorDavey

Re: Assisted Dying for the terminally ill
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 12:27:58 PM »
I am aware that we have covered this topic before (couldn't find an old thread) but that the public is so much in favour of this came as a bit of a surprise to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/aug/04/three-in-four-britons-back-assisted-dying-for-terminally-ill-poll?

Our MP's are out of step with public opinion on this.
MPs have been out of step with public opinion on this for quite a while.

I'm strongly in favour of legalising assisted dying (with appropriate safeguards), but I can see that from the perspective of a member of the public it is easy to say this but legislators will have to wrestle with the complexities of those safeguards and make the actual decision. That said I think the main reason is that MPs and Peers are simply not demographically representative of the wider public, most notably having a massively higher proportion of actively religious people than in the wider public where that level is about one in ten.

Roses

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 01:53:32 PM »
I am in favour of assisted dying for the terminally ill provided that they are mentally capable of making that decision.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 02:00:34 PM »
I am in favour of assisted dying for the terminally ill provided that they are mentally capable of making that decision.
There also need to be protections to avoid people feeling pressurised. But I don't doubt this can be achieved.

Roses

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 02:41:29 PM »
There also need to be protections to avoid people feeling pressurised. But I don't doubt this can be achieved.

No one should feel pressurised into having their life terminated. A proper psychiatric assessment should be able to determine the person's state of mind and whether it their own choice.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 03:02:26 PM »
No one should feel pressurised into having their life terminated.
Absolutely

A proper psychiatric assessment should be able to determine the person's state of mind and whether it their own choice.
A psychological will assess whether they have the capacity to make the decision, it wouldn't necessarily identify any external pressures, whether overt or more subtle. Other safeguards would need to be in place to provide protection, likely ensuring that there is someone who is completely independent from both the family and the care team who is able to carefully discuss the matter with the individual.

Roses

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 04:59:47 PM »
If I was younger and assisted dying was legal here in the UK I would consider taking a course in assisting terminally ill people to die.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 11:27:29 PM »
A close friend who works as a professor in the nhs told me that in many cases of caring for the terminally ill he has encountered close relatives who are only interested in their inheritance.  We need laws to protect such vulnerable people.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 12:36:39 AM »
No one should feel pressurised into having their life terminated. A proper psychiatric assessment should be able to determine the person's state of mind and whether it their own choice.
Should not be done by the same people who are working in the health service.
A separate National Death Service should be set up with none of this consultancy monday, Assisting death Wednesday, Golf friday nonsense. You either choose to work for NHS or NDS.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:41:14 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 12:37:49 AM »
If I was younger and assisted dying was legal here in the UK I would consider taking a course in assisting terminally ill people to die.
Or just refer them to your posts on this forum.