Author Topic: Archbishop of York wants Scots and Welsh to sing God Save The Queen  (Read 963 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Archbishop of York wants Scots and Welsh to sing God Save The Queen
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 09:35:59 PM »
Nae chance of that happening in the case of Scotland: he seems a tad naive.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 09:38:02 PM by Gordon »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 09:03:58 AM »
Awa' an polish your mitre, son.
I won't even acknowledge the dirge on the one occasion the kist o whustles play in in the Kirk....rememberence Sunday.
I'd rather sing the 'Ying tong song'.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 09:07:50 AM »
Awa' an polish your mitre, son.
I won't even acknowledge the dirge on the one occasion the kist o whustles play in in the Kirk....rememberence Sunday.
I'd rather sing the 'Ying tong song'.
While I agree about GSTQ, I feel much the same about Flower of Scotland.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 09:12:47 AM »

Me too - F of S is a bit of a dirge.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »

Agreed.
I knew Roy Williamson; he never meant FOS to be an anthem. He gave it away to a folk combi called 'The Tattie Haukers' to see if it would work. When they returned positive results, The Corries stared using it.
Like Roy, I'd have preferred 'The-freedom-come-all-ye'.

I object to GSTQ because it's jingoist, racist and theologically wrong....and a really naff tune to boot.

"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 09:19:28 AM »

Agreed.
I knew Roy Williamson; he never meant FOS to be an anthem. He gave it away to a folk combi called 'The Tattie Haukers' to see if it would work. When they returned positive results, The Corries stared using it.
Like Roy, I'd have preferred 'The-freedom-come-all-ye'.

I object to GSTQ because it's jingoist, racist and theologically wrong....and a really naff tune to boot.

I love Freedom-Come-All-Ye but it's a bit of a bugger to sing. I'm all for Shang a Lang by the Bay City Rollers.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »
I'd go for that old Glasgow favourite - 'Ye Canny Shove Yer Granny Aff A Bus'.

The prospect of thousands singing that as loudly as possible appeals to me.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 12:00:57 PM »
The Beatles song "All You Need is Love" has a nice distinctive intro played on the trumpet that I think would make a good anthem for the Scots and the Welsh.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 01:02:57 PM »
The Beatles song "All You Need is Love" has a nice distinctive intro played on the trumpet that I think would make a good anthem for the Scots and the Welsh.

iirc that bit of 'All you need is love' is actually part of the French national anthem 'La Marseillaise', so I don't think that would work.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 01:09:56 PM »
iirc that bit of 'All you need is love' is actually part of the French national anthem 'La Marseillaise', so I don't think that would work.
jeremyp is making a joke.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 01:12:13 PM »
jeremyp is making a joke.

Ah - I must be more dense than is usual today.

Sorry Jeremy.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »
I'd go for that old Glasgow favourite - 'Ye Canny Shove Yer Granny Aff A Bus'. The prospect of thousands singing that as loudly as possible appeals to me.
The 'Glasgow Eskimos' had a great take on that tune - with different wordss. Ding Dong Dollar.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 01:43:19 PM »
Ah - I must be more dense than is usual today.

Sorry Jeremy.

Nah....he's obviously thinking of the Auld Alliance......

Outrider

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 01:45:35 PM »
I was of the understanding that Flower of Scotland's designation was an informal understanding that it was the Scottish sporting anthem, whilst on other occasions they used 'Scotland the Brave', and there wasn't a formal designation of a national anthem?

Either way, I think the formal adoption of an anthem for England ('Land of Hope and Glory', I think, has been suggested a couple of times) would serve to increase the evidence that England and English people don't necessarily think of England and Britain being functionally the same thing.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 01:55:56 PM »
I was of the understanding that Flower of Scotland's designation was an informal understanding that it was the Scottish sporting anthem, whilst on other occasions they used 'Scotland the Brave', and there wasn't a formal designation of a national anthem?

Either way, I think the formal adoption of an anthem for England ('Land of Hope and Glory', I think, has been suggested a couple of times) would serve to increase the evidence that England and English people don't necessarily think of England and Britain being functionally the same thing.

O.
GSTQ is only the UK anthem by custom and usage, so in  that sense it's the same as FoS or StB.

I was at the Commonwealth Games in 2014 and Jerusalem was used for England, given the lack of knowledge of the words shown by the England supporters at the medal ceremonies, I felt obliged to lend my voice

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 02:05:53 PM »

O.

The chap who composed the standard words to 'Scotland the Brave', Cliff Hanley, did so in five minutes to sing at a revue in the Glasgow 'One o'Clock gang' STV revue show.
He didn't take them seriously - in fact, he detested them so much that he did not want royalties, and threatened to jump out of his coffin and strangle anyone who sang them at his funeral!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2021, 02:12:30 PM »

The chap who composed the standard words to 'Scotland the Brave', Cliff Hanley, did so in five minutes to sing at a revue in the Glasgow 'One o'Clock gang' STV revue show.
He didn't take them seriously - in fact, he detested them so much that he did not want royalties, and threatened to jump out of his coffin and strangle anyone who sang them at his funeral!
At least the tune isn't a dirge.

ekim

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2021, 04:50:29 PM »
I remember when the national anthem was played in the cinema at the end of the program and there was a mad rush by most to get out before it played.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 05:29:00 PM »
At least the tune isn't a dirge.

Now; we could use the Corries' words.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7_2apov024