Author Topic: Atheism ends today  (Read 25165 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Atheism ends today
« on: August 12, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
Today is the last day of Atheism.

Some religionists (all Christians I believe, but I may be wrong) have organised a Global Prayer to End Atheism and they are doing it today. It's quite clever really because, if it works, that will prove there is a god, but it will also mean there are no atheists left to deny the truth. If it fails, there will still be atheists and it will be absolute proof that there is no god and all the theists will give up their gods. 

So as of tomorrow, the theist/atheist debate will be resolved.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SusanDoris

Re: Atheism ends today
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »
Tghere are supposed to be four 'gibgrins' here. Let's see if I can do it properly this time:

:D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 04:00:05 PM by SusanDoris »
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 04:04:17 PM »
I'll be interested to see what excuses are offered when their prayer initiative fails - unless!

ekim

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 04:36:25 PM »
I'll be interested to see what excuses are offered when their prayer initiative fails - unless!
Oh, that's easy ..... God is merciful and thou shalt love thy neighbour even if he is an atheist.

Outrider

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 04:39:08 PM »
Oh, that's easy ..... God is merciful and thou shalt love thy neighbour even if he is an atheist.

Oh, I thought we were all secretly believers who were just lying to look cool (presumably because it's healthier than smoking, or something).

I'll have to wait and see if I'm overtaken by a sudden urge to sign up to the Church of Satan in the morning.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

ekim

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 04:55:57 PM »
Oh, I thought we were all secretly believers who were just lying to look cool (presumably because it's healthier than smoking, or something).

I'll have to wait and see if I'm overtaken by a sudden urge to sign up to the Church of Satan in the morning.

O.
... better to worship Sol.  You going to see a lot of his vengeance in the coming years.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 06:50:48 PM »
Today is the last day of Atheism.

Some religionists (all Christians I believe, but I may be wrong) have organised a Global Prayer to End Atheism and they are doing it today.
Now then, I wonder how you'd all feel if I said I was joining in.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 06:57:36 PM »
Now then, I wonder how you'd all feel if I said I was joining in.

Go for it Vlad - and if I'm still an atheist tomorrow how would you judge the prayer initiative?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 07:01:36 PM »
Go for it Vlad - and if I'm still an atheist tomorrow how would you judge the prayer initiative?
It isn't your turn tomorrow.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 07:16:08 PM »
It isn't your turn tomorrow.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 07:28:41 PM »
Did the theists give a definite date when all atheism would end or did they just give the date they were praying for the end of atheism?

The Facebook page doesn't seem to specify.

I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 07:41:11 PM »
I have no idea what you mean by that.
Atheism ends but not all atheists converted at same time.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
Did the theists give a definite date when all atheism would end or did they just give the date they were praying for the end of atheism?

The Facebook page doesn't seem to specify.

I'm never going to forgive you VG. You prompted me to look at the FB page. Yes you did, don't deny it. I can't unsee it now. I know, I should have known better. 

Dear Lord (if you do exist) have you seen what they are doing in your name?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 07:47:37 PM »
Atheism ends but not all atheists converted at same time.

So atheism hasn't ended then (if there are still some of us left) - yes?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 07:57:11 PM »
So atheism hasn't ended then (if there are still some of us left) - yes?
Which part of ''atheism ends'' aren't you getting Gordon. Anyone who predicts a date and time for it is on a hiding to nothing imv.

Any way you never answered my question which is how would you feel if I said I'd joined in? How do you feel about this anyway? threatened? sad like when the last Babylonian bid farewell to his old pet ankylosaurus?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
Which part of ''atheism ends'' aren't you getting Gordon. Anyone who predicts a date and time for it is on a hiding to nothing imv.

Any way you never answered my question which is how would you feel if I said I'd joined in? How do you feel about this anyway? threatened? sad like when the last Babylonian bid farewell to his old pet ankylosaurus?

So if atheism ends any time in, say, the next 100,000 years then the prayer will have worked? I'd have liked some kind of timescale to determine whether or not these prayers are effective, since without that how can we ever judge?

Do I feel threatened: no.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 08:23:59 PM »
I'm never going to forgive you VG. You prompted me to look at the FB page. Yes you did, don't deny it. I can't unsee it now. I know, I should have known better. 

Dear Lord (if you do exist) have you seen what they are doing in your name?
Haha - I felt bad about looking at the page too. Figured I might as well share the joy. But I couldn't bring myself to play the video - was it everything and more that you hoped for? I was just looking for a definite date on the page or some details, anything.

Looks like your conversion could take place slowly...very slowly... :P
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 09:30:16 PM »
So if atheism ends any time in, say, the next 100,000 years then the prayer will have worked? I'd have liked some kind of timescale to determine whether or not these prayers are effective, since without that how can we ever judge?

Do I feel threatened: no.
It looks as though we may have differing views of what the terms ''prayer'' and ''prayer works'' mean with yours approximating more to Star Wars the force than mine.

On the other hand you aren't at all guilty as some of the outrageous displays by american preachers effectively ordering God about. You'd like a timescale? Have you asked for one from the only person likely to have one?

After all Gordon who needs to know that you tried to bypass atheists constraint at going to God directly?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:33:20 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »
It looks as though we may have differing views of what the terms ''prayer'' and ''prayer works'' mean with yours approximating more to Star Wars the force than mine.

I'm supposing that those doing this praying are doing so with some expectation of a result: I'd just like them to tell us what constitutes a result.

On the other hand you aren't at all guilty as some of the outrageous displays by american preachers effectively ordering God about. You'd like a timescale? Have you asked for one from the only person likely to have one?

Presumably, as noted above, the people behind this event will have thought through how they'd measure its success - it would be nice to know what we should be looking out for by way of results.

After all Gordon who needs to know that you tried to bypass atheists constraint at going to God directly?

Don't be silly.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2021, 11:03:08 PM »

Presumably, as noted above, the people behind this event will have thought through how they'd measure its success -
That sounds a bit managerese. I find myself able not to think in those terms but if your mind is fixed in that idiom, Firstly they will be motivated by hope and that in some sense it is,I think, what theologians call God's primary will. However they will or should be mindful that Jesus didn't give times or dates concerning the day when atheism becomes an untenable, according to scripture.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2021, 06:41:26 AM »
That sounds a bit managerese. I find myself able not to think in those terms but if your mind is fixed in that idiom, Firstly they will be motivated by hope and that in some sense it is,I think, what theologians call God's primary will. However they will or should be mindful that Jesus didn't give times or dates concerning the day when atheism becomes an untenable, according to scripture.

'Hope' is all very well, Vlad, but it needs to be tempered by a dash of realism: I might hope that one day soon hair will spontaneously reappear on the top of my head, but realism suggests otherwise so that, therefore, to actively hope for that would be pointless.

The same applies to this prayer initiative, which looks like being no more than a pointless gesture even if those involved think they are making a point. Moreover, I suspect they have set themselves for failure, which seems rather naive of them.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2021, 07:22:21 AM »
'Hope' is all very well, Vlad, but it needs to be tempered by a dash of realism: I might hope that one day soon hair will spontaneously reappear on the top of my head, but realism suggests otherwise so that, therefore, to actively hope for that would be pointless.

The same applies to this prayer initiative, which looks like being no more than a pointless gesture even if those involved think they are making a point. Moreover, I suspect they have set themselves for failure, which seems rather naive of them.
The hope of a world where everyone has a relationship with God is in the same category as the hope many express on here that everyone becomes atheist and this is just people nailing their colours to the mast.

My own position is based on the occasion of being shifted from a hope that atheism would last forever to a conviction that it won't.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:39:01 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2021, 08:25:49 AM »
The hope of a world where everyone has a relationship with God is in the same category as the hope many express on here that everyone becomes atheist and this is just people nailing their colours to the mast.

But I can't think of anyone here who has overtly stated that they hope everyone becomes atheist: so who are you thinking of? 

My own position is based on the occasion of being shifted from a hope that atheism would last forever to a conviction that it won't.

On what do you base your conviction?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2021, 08:47:29 AM »
But I can't think of anyone here who has overtly stated that they hope everyone becomes atheist: so who are you thinking of? 

On what do you base your conviction?
The inner witness of the holy spirit, Scripture which talks of a  phase shift in existence in which God will be self evident to all, a taster of which I have experienced and finally the spectacle of goddodgery by people on this forum. Which had new atheism existed years ago would be enough to make me think about such overt avoidance behaviour.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:49:34 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2021, 08:53:11 AM »
The inner witness of the holy spirit, Scripture which talks of a  phase shift in existence in which God will be self evident to all, a taster of which I have experienced and finally the spectacle of goddodgery by people on this forum. Which had new atheism existed years ago would be enough to make me think about such overt avoidance behaviour.

Oh so it's a feeling you've had inside.

You self ID as a religioso.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.