Author Topic: Atheism ends today  (Read 25117 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Atheism ends today
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2021, 09:43:00 AM »
God being postulated by philosophy does not equate to it being correct.  Philosophy has postulated many things over the years. As it happens, surveys reveal that most living philosophers are atheist.
Most of philosophy has been established by deceased philosophers, the greatest of whom, who are still talked about today are probably theistic. New atheists philosophy and philosophers (largely a bit of a joke) certainly garner the most publicity and cultish following. I guess I'm talking Dennett.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:46:04 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

torridon

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2021, 09:50:05 AM »
Most of philosophy has been established by deceased philosophers, the greatest of whom, who are still talked about today are probably theistic. New atheists philosophy and philosophers (largely a bit of a joke) certainly garner the most publicity and cultish following. I guess I'm talking Dennett.

Looks rather like you are trivialising contemporary philosophers

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2021, 03:15:29 PM »
Looks rather like you are trivialising contemporary philosophers
I haven't trivialised Dennett and am less likely to be seen trivialising Carroll who is an amateur in probably the most noblest sense.

Other than those two, which philosophersand how have I trivialised them?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2021, 10:24:17 AM »
I've been away for the weekend and I couldn't be bothered reading any of the other posts since Friday, so apologies for ignoring whatever it is that Vlad has been saying..

Anyway, I'm still an atheist.

This could only be true if the prayer to end atheism had failed, and that could only be the case if there is no God.

Given the irrefutable logic of the above, I assume all the posts by Vlad have been apologising for being wrong all these years and he and all the other theists have now renounced their faith.

You ex-theists must be a bit embarrassed about being wrong for all those years. But don't worry, we're just happy that you've finally seen the light.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2021, 10:50:19 AM »
I am not sure what you mean when you say belief could be masked by self delusion. It's possible. But that then leads me to allow the possibility that everything we write on this forum might not be what we really think and our real thoughts could be masked by self delusion.
But this is God we are talking about. There are only really likely to be two supreme beings in a life, God and oneself. The self delusion here is more likely to favour one's own role as one's own supreme
being capable of For example it's possible that you and I could be self-deluded into thinking we are Christian and Muslim when in fact for both of us, our real beliefs are Hindu beliefs.
We could check our beliefs which incidentally we seem to have acquired some strange how
How would we ever know if we are self-deluded about our Christian and Muslim beliefs?
We live in a belief supermarket and can compare what we have strangely acquired with what's on offer.
We could be consciously/ sub-consciously avoiding the truth of Hinduism and reincarnation and the behaviours that would ensue because we have a reason for professing Christian and Muslim beliefs that don't subscribe to reincarnation.
I am in conversation with a neighbour who professes both christianity and reincarnation. I think this may partly be fallout from an anglican christianity that is deeply imbued with hinduism due to it's imperial affiliation
But how to have any discussion on that basis if we have to constantly think we are self-deluded and keep doubting our thoughts?
Doubts are inevitable imv. But that should not stop discussion.
Yes I am a theist - because it works for me now.
working in the sense that something external to you has given you a new heart or drive or working in the sense that it is presently useful to you?
  The words spoken by the religious up until then used to cause a negative reaction because they lacked any logical, consistent or definitive concepts - it was all belief, supposition, endless possibilities of what could be true, no objective evidence, so not surprisingly none of it was convincing enough to generate a belief in any of it. Without belief it all seemed like nothing more than silly rituals and baffling words that made no sense and I couldn't see the logic of accepting any particular conflicting unevidenced belief over another. Is that what you mean by avoiding? If it was avoidance it was based on a lack of time - so many thousands of conflicting beliefs so where do I start in trying to pick one to try to engage with it, and even if I did pick one I soon had someone babbling illogical nonsense about their particular version of that belief, which inevitably led to a negative reaction to their words and beliefs.

However, at some point I became aware that I actually had a positive reaction to some words I read about God - it happened to be in the Quran. I also had a positive reaction to the words I heard spoken by people who did not claim certainty of knowledge about anything related to gods or religious beliefs. Maybe that positive reaction was the start of belief and I certainly didn't choose or have any control over that reaction. It led to me reading more about religious philosophical beliefs that did not involve certainty of knowledge and it got to the point where I could see a point to belief in God but I could also see the point of being atheist. Each position brings its own costs and benefits and reactions so I can appreciate the positive aspects of atheism and theism and I can also appreciate the negative aspects of both.

When my theist thoughts, reactions and practices seemed to have a better outcome for me, not surprisingly I continued with those thoughts and practices and tried out a few additional ones. If they seem to feel beneficial I continue with them. I measure what is a better outcome based on the feelings those outcomes invoke in me. My religion often helps me regulate my reactions, especially my feelings and interactions with other people. It's an additional tool to the non-religious tools I used as an atheist. These are all emotional concepts and it could be a self-delusion masking my atheism but as I can neither prove or disprove this possible self-delusion, I figure why worry about it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 10:58:54 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »
I've been away for the weekend and I couldn't be bothered reading any of the other posts since Friday,
That sounds like a perfectly healthy response to the forum. I absolve you from any feelings of guilt.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2021, 11:03:21 AM »
I've been away for the weekend and I couldn't be bothered reading any of the other posts since Friday, so apologies for ignoring whatever it is that Vlad has been saying..

Anyway, I'm still an atheist.

This could only be true if the prayer to end atheism had failed, and that could only be the case if there is no God.

Given the irrefutable logic of the above, I assume all the posts by Vlad have been apologising for being wrong all these years and he and all the other theists have now renounced their faith.

You ex-theists must be a bit embarrassed about being wrong for all those years. But don't worry, we're just happy that you've finally seen the light.
Just when I thought you had achieved some sanity of attitude you go and do this..........Have I missed something?

Spud

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2021, 11:03:39 AM »
Today is the last day of Atheism.
The only way God will end atheism is at Jesus' return, when everyone will see him.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »
The only way God will end atheism is at Jesus' return, when everyone will see him.

So prayer doesn't work.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2021, 11:39:57 AM »
Just when I thought you had achieved some sanity of attitude you go and do this..........Have I missed something?

It's cast iron logic. The prayer to end atheism didn't work and therefore only a deluded insane person would continue to be a theist. Are you still a theist?

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2021, 02:36:20 PM »
But this is God we are talking about. There are only really likely to be two supreme beings in a life, God and oneself. The self delusion here is more likely to favour one's own role as one's own supreme
Supreme in what way? If we look around different  animals are supreme in relation to different traits and when it comes to people, there isn't one supreme person. Thousands of people are intelligent in different ways, have strength, agility and abilities in different ways and so my lived experience is that there is not one supreme being. What data are you using to calculate the likelihood of there being two supreme beings? I'd need to know how you define supremacy in this context to understand the point you are making.
We live in a belief supermarket and can compare what we have strangely acquired with what's on offer. I am in conversation with a neighbour who professes both christianity and reincarnation. I think this may partly be fallout from an anglican christianity that is deeply imbued with hinduism due to it's imperial affiliation  Doubts are inevitable imv. But that should not stop discussion. Working in the sense that something external to you has given you a new heart or drive or working in the sense that it is presently useful to you?
Both I suppose. Working in the sense that it is presently useful to me. When you say something external to me giving me a new heart or drive - do you mean in the sense of the words in the Quran are something external to me?

I wasn't reading the words searching for spiritual enlightenment but because I was looking to denigrate the words as religious nonsense. So yes something external to me i.e. the passage I read in the Quran was interpreted by my brain to cause an unexpected positive reaction in me in a way that made me less dismissive of religion than I had been previously.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:43:56 PM by Violent Gabriella »
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »
Supreme in what way? If we look around different  animals are supreme in relation to different traits and when it comes to people, there isn't one supreme person. Thousands of people are intelligent in different ways, have strength, agility and abilities in different ways and so my lived experience is that there is not one supreme being. What data are you using to calculate the likelihood of there being two supreme beings? I'd need to know how you define supremacy in this context to understand the point you are making.Both I suppose. Working in the sense that it is presently useful to me. When you say something external to me giving me a new heart or drive - do you mean in the sense of the words in the Quran are something external to me?

I wasn't reading the words searching for spiritual enlightenment but because I was looking to denigrate the words as religious nonsense. So yes something external to me i.e. the passage I read in the Quran was interpreted by my brain to cause an unexpected positive reaction in me in a way that made me less dismissive of religion than I had been previously.
God can be supreme in all ways I would have thought being after all the supreme being. However one is one's own unique observer who has to be satisfied and that offers a sort of competing supremacy. They say we want to all be the hero of of our own story but God in his supremacy challenges that.
Not being conscious of searching for spiritual enlightenment and then having one's disinterest challenged is I would contend not an uncommon religious experience. experience

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2021, 04:28:12 PM »
It's cast iron logic. The prayer to end atheism didn't work and therefore only a deluded insane person would continue to be a theist. Are you still a theist?
Again Jeremy it comes down to how you think prayer works and what it is effects the prayer. I think you muddied the waters a bit by inventing the catch line 'Atheism ends today'
Biblically I suppose atheism ends with the second coming of Christ.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2021, 04:51:15 PM »
Again Jeremy it comes down to how you think prayer works and what it is effects the prayer. I think you muddied the waters a bit by inventing the catch line 'Atheism ends today'
I didn't invent it. It's the natural consequence of the prayer to end atheism, if there is a god. Despite, thousands of Christians praying to end atheism, it didn't end and therefore, we must conclude that there is no god. Perfectly simple really.

Biblically I suppose atheism ends with the second coming of Christ.
He failed to turn up, so that's more cast iron evidence that there is no god.  Only a lunatic would continue to believe in God after so much failure. Do you still believe in God?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2021, 07:15:44 PM »
I didn't invent it. It's the natural consequence of the prayer to end atheism, if there is a god. Despite, thousands of Christians praying to end atheism, it didn't end and therefore, we must conclude that there is no god. Perfectly simple really.
He failed to turn up, so that's more cast iron evidence that there is no god.  Only a lunatic would continue to believe in God after so much failure. Do you still believe in God?
This has obviously been a moment for you but getting the answer you want by having oversights and errors convinces no one. Jesus stated in scripture that atheism will end at his second coming. So whose going to conclude that a no show means that God does not exist. May I remind you that there are 365 days in a year and probably a few more years to come. If anything it shows that you can't buck scripture.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2021, 07:27:57 PM »
This has obviously been a moment for you but getting the answer you want by having oversights and errors convinces no one. Jesus stated in scripture that atheism will end at his second coming. So whose going to conclude that a no show means that God does not exist. May I remind you that there are 365 days in a year and probably a few more years to come. If anything it shows that you can't buck scripture.
How hard can I beat my slaves?

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »
God can be supreme in all ways I would have thought being after all the supreme being. However one is one's own unique observer who has to be satisfied and that offers a sort of competing supremacy. They say we want to all be the hero of of our own story but God in his supremacy challenges that.
I agree with the idea that we are our own unique observer. But what is it that makes you sure there is one supreme being, when we don't see evidence of one supreme being in the world around us? We see lots of people and animals and other species that excel at different things so we're used to the idea of different beings being supreme at different times or in different circumstances, and we're used to the idea that there is bound to be someone who can improve on ours or someone else's performance. I find just observing my own failings and other people's/ species' successes challenges the notion of my own individual supremacy. What led you to your belief that there is one supreme being?

Not being conscious of searching for spiritual enlightenment and then having one's disinterest challenged is I would contend not an uncommon religious experience. experience
True
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2021, 10:59:57 PM »
How hard can I beat my slaves?
I would imagine a slave would have no trouble putting you flat on your back if you tried.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2021, 11:07:46 PM »
I agree with the idea that we are our own unique observer. But what is it that makes you sure there is one supreme being, when we don't see evidence of one supreme being in the world around us?
Philosophically and linguistically I suppose there can only be one supreme entity. There is if you like only room for one......That though has never stopped people thinking they are the supreme being and the hero of their own lives and that God is a bolt on accessory if of any concern at all. I guess i've just been convicted of the idea that man replaces God with himself.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:14:37 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2021, 01:51:47 AM »
I would imagine a slave would have no trouble putting you flat on your back if you tried.
How hard am I allowed to beat my slave according to  scripture?

torridon

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2021, 06:27:06 AM »
Philosophically and linguistically I suppose there can only be one supreme entity. There is if you like only room for one......That though has never stopped people thinking they are the supreme being and the hero of their own lives and that God is a bolt on accessory if of any concern at all. I guess i've just been convicted of the idea that man replaces God with himself.

That there could be only one supreme being is a truism, it is implied in the word 'supreme'. Deploying such truisms does nothing to further the case for a supreme being actually existing.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2021, 07:32:28 AM »
It’s not just the no show of Jesus, it’s the failure of the prayer to end atheism. There’s clearly nobody to answer it.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
Even if you allow for a First Cause that led to the existence of the universe - which is presumably what you were referring to as the alternative to the idea that a universe could pop out of nothing - allowing for the possibility of a First Cause does not automatically lead to believing that the First Cause also has any moral capacity that would guide people rather than people guiding themselves.

Is a First Cause with moral authority your concept of a Supreme Being that you think people are avoiding? Or is just the moral authority alone sufficient for you to consider something a Supreme Being, even if it wasn't the First Cause?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »
How hard am I allowed to beat my slave according to  scripture?
Are you a bronze age hebrew? No? Then what on earth are you doing with slaves?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2021, 09:20:52 AM »
That there could be only one supreme being is a truism, it is implied in the word 'supreme'. Deploying such truisms does nothing to further the case for a supreme being actually existing.
Nor not existing.