Author Topic: Religious groups in the UK failing children where sexual abuse is concerned!  (Read 740 times)

Roses

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

ProfessorDavey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58420270

This is truly sickening! :o >:(
I agree - and before apologists try to imply that the same thing goes on in all organisations there are very specific elements identified in the report that apply specifically to religious groups not others. Most notable being the deference expected to religious leaders which makes it incredibly difficult for the victims to speak out. Also that religious organisations often portray themselves as being the arbiters of right and wrong and therefore cannot be wrong.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
It is indeed sickening.

I'm not sure about the claim that their are issues specific to religious institutions. After all there was the case of care homes, where I'm sure deference to the carers played a part in abuse carrying on undetected for a long time.

What is certainly correct in ProfD's analysis is the sheer hypocrisy involved.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ProfessorDavey

I'm not sure about the claim that their are issues specific to religious institutions. After all there was the case of care homes, where I'm sure deference to the carers played a part in abuse carrying on undetected for a long time.
I don't think that is the case - religious organisations often expect deference to their religious leaders in a manner that simply doesn't occur in other organisations. Literally considering them to be beyond reproach.

So from the actual report itself:

'Dr Oakley noted that, in some Christian (and other religious) settings, a minister or leader of collective worship holds a “divine position”. They must be obeyed and not challenged, which adds an additional layer of difficulty to disclosing abuse.[3] A key challenge in some church settings is deference. Some religious leaders perpetuate the belief that, as they have been appointed by God, they are not answerable to their congregation or organisations or others. In an exploration of spiritual abuse, a survivor noted:

“We actually believed the general consensus underlying every conversation in our last church that our pastor was ‘God’s anointed’ in a special way and shouldn’t really be questioned.”'

'In some communities, especially those bound by strict religious principles, leaders can provide guidance for, and play a part in, all aspects of a person’s life. Where religious leaders interpret religious law for those who observe it strictly, advice can be needed regularly on all aspects of daily living. Mr Manny Waks, Chief Executive Officer at Kol v’Oz (now VoiCSA), identified that the role of a rabbi in the Charedi community has “unlimited and unparalleled power and influence and is the ultimate decision-maker in every aspect of life, literally”.[5] Mr Waks described a culture of “complete reverence and subordination to the Rabbi. It is often believed – consciously or otherwise – that the Rabbi can do no wrong”.'

I don't think you will get the same attitude towards leaders in any other organisation except religious ones.

SusanDoris

I don't think you will get the same attitude towards leaders in any other organisation except religious ones.
I certainly agree and nod vigorously in agreement with posts above.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Owlswing

I certainly agree and nod vigorously in agreement with the posts above.

Likewise!

However, the likelihood of this situation changing with any sort of rapidity is disgustingly remote.

Owlswing

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!