Author Topic: Dunning kruger versus Courtiers Reply.  (Read 1085 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Dunning kruger versus Courtiers Reply.
« on: September 11, 2021, 12:50:13 PM »
If I were an atheist I would like Dunning Kruger because I could accuse my opponents of not having the expertise needed and of playing pigeon chess...but then I like the Courtiers reply because it allows me to say I don't need any expertise! but which one is best? or do they contradict each other.

There's only one way to find out.......FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dicky Underpants

Re: Dunning kruger versus Courtiers Reply.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 04:38:33 PM »
If I were an atheist I would like Dunning Kruger because I could accuse my opponents of not having the expertise needed and of playing pigeon chess...but then I like the Courtiers reply because it allows me to say I don't need any expertise! but which one is best? or do they contradict each other.

Your well-beloved Dawkins has been accused of indulging in the Courtier's Reply, but usually by people who expect him to acknowledge the theological doctrines which are their stock-in-trade. Must I be an expert in the meaning of 'sin' (or have indulged in it mightily) to dismiss it as a concept which only has validity in religious discourse, rather than having some true existential reality?
Is Dawkins too stupid to realise he is stupid? I think one would have to be very brave to assert that. (As an aside, I don't think The God Delusion really gets to the heart of the whole religious question, but this has nothing to do with Dunning Kruger or The Courtier's Reply).

I suppose I've opened a can of worms by referring to Dawkins again, knowing how you love to talk about him. Other atheists may be substituted, who will do just as well. Sartre, Stephen J Gould, Carl Sagan, Jonathan Miller (the only one of that list who I think was a bit of fool sometimes, is Sartre).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:41:58 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 08:20:22 PM »

Have you heard the saying "horses for courses"?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 11:25:25 AM »
Dunning-Kruger may have been exposed as merely a statistical anomaly. See my thread here.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".