Author Topic: AUKUS are go!  (Read 532 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
AUKUS are go!
« on: September 16, 2021, 07:09:53 AM »
Initially, I thought this to be a bit of an Anglophone damp squib but the concentration on this being about the threat from China makes it interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-58564837
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:40:25 AM by Nearly Sane »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: AUKUS are go!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 10:41:43 AM »
Initially, I thought this to be a bit of an Anglophone damp squib but the concentration on this being about the threat from China makes it interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-58564837

I agree, but the cynic in me can't help noting the fact that this has totally screwed the deal with France to buy nuclear powered submarines from them. Now American companies (and maybe some British) will get wodges of cash from Australia.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:31:36 AM by jeremyp »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 11:05:53 AM »
I agree, but the cynic in me can't help noting the fact that this has totally screwed the deal with France to buy nuclear powered submarines from them. Now American companies (and maybe some British) will get wodges of cash from Australia.
Agree, though there seems to have been issues with the contracts being completed due to Australian demands on producing components locally.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 12:09:16 PM »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »

The French submarines were conventional diesel/electric rather than nuclear, so Australia has made a complete change in strategy over the last 5 years - due to increasing concern, shared by the US and UK, about China.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 09:31:02 AM »
The French submarines were conventional diesel/electric rather than nuclear, so Australia has made a complete change in strategy over the last 5 years - due to increasing concern, shared by the US and UK, about China.

Yes, you are right. France is obviously totally pissed off but, if you can have nuclear submarines instead of conventional ones, why wouldn't you?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply