Author Topic: Insulate Britain  (Read 608 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Insulate Britain
« on: October 04, 2021, 04:01:34 PM »
They're blocking the Blackwall Tunnel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58787144?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Elsewhere, the public is taking things into its own hands.

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1444935063075016704

The thing about this is that their demands aren't really that outrageous. All they want is government subsidies for insulating homes in Britain.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ProfessorDavey

Re: Insulate Britain
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 06:27:18 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58787144?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Elsewhere, the public is taking things into its own hands.

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1444935063075016704

The thing about this is that their demands aren't really that outrageous. All they want is government subsidies for insulating homes in Britain.
I'm not sure these protests, and others by extinction rebellion, are sensible at all.

There is little doubt that climate change is now a mainstream issue with, I suspect, the vast majority of the UK population thinking that we need to act. And there is also little doubt that climate change is extremely high profile. So any campaigning group should be pushing against an open door in terms to public opinion and sympathy. But by using extreme methods they risk alienating the very people who support the basic principles they are campaigning for. The danger is that it makes climate change look like a fringe issue for extremists - perhaps it was once, but not anymore. I doubt they'll win friends and influence people by sitting in a road and preventing ambulances getting to hospitals.

ad_orientem

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 07:21:12 PM »
I'm not sure these protests, and others by extinction rebellion, are sensible at all.

There is little doubt that climate change is now a mainstream issue with, I suspect, the vast majority of the UK population thinking that we need to act. And there is also little doubt that climate change is extremely high profile. So any campaigning group should be pushing against an open door in terms to public opinion and sympathy. But by using extreme methods they risk alienating the very people who support the basic principles they are campaigning for. The danger is that it makes climate change look like a fringe issue for extremists - perhaps it was once, but not anymore. I doubt they'll win friends and influence people by sitting in a road and preventing ambulances getting to hospitals.

Spot on! Stopping normal people going to and from work (or whatever else they might be doing) is just going to turn people against them.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »

I completely agree. Their demands are "insulate Britain's houses". That's good for the climate and it's good for the pockets of the people who pay to heat those houses. We can argue about how much or whether the government should pay for it, but generally, it's a good idea.

Unfortunately, all the news stories are about the protestors and how they are disrupting people's lives. The cause has been totally lost in the condemnation.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 10:20:25 AM »
I completely agree. Their demands are "insulate Britain's houses". That's good for the climate and it's good for the pockets of the people who pay to heat those houses. We can argue about how much or whether the government should pay for it, but generally, it's a good idea.

Unfortunately, all the news stories are about the protestors and how they are disrupting people's lives. The cause has been totally lost in the condemnation.
and creates the perfect climate (pun intended) for the introduction of measures such as this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58796805.amp

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 02:10:03 PM »

.... All they want is government subsidies for insulating homes in Britain.
That's the first time I've even seen what they're protesting, so thanks.

I still can't even imagine why they think blocking roads is a way of winning the hearts and minds.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 08:35:56 PM »
Absolutely ridiculous and completely nuts (but I actually agree with them!):

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/24/why-arent-we-in-prison-ask-insulate-britain-protesters

How these people expect to make friends and influence folk .....

.... is a bit of a mystery..
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7