Author Topic: some home truths from Alice Cooper  (Read 8465 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: some home truths from Alice Cooper
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »
Your definition of "credible" was "able to be believed"

I gave some counter examples of people believing things that are not credible. This falsifies your definition. You need to, at least, qualify who is able to believe a credible thing.
And I asked you for your alternative and you don't have one. I suggest that credible is the wrong word to use since it depends on ones weltbild and therefore the only commonality is it's believability.

In other words it is credible to them. This is why argument from incredulity is a fallacy.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2021, 07:13:46 PM »
And I asked you for your alternative and you don't have one. I suggest that credible is the wrong word to use since it depends on ones weltbild and therefore the only commonality is it's believability.

In other words it is credible to them. This is why argument from incredulity is a fallacy.
I would have thought that for something to be credible it would need to be able to stand up to scrutiny.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2021, 10:48:13 PM »
I would have thought that for something to be credible it would need to be able to stand up to scrutiny.
Not if it's a question of belief rather than say empirical fact, it wouldn't be. Again whose ground rules of scrutiny would be used?