Author Topic: The Right to the Last Rites  (Read 1692 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: The Right to the Last Rites
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »
What else could be more important?
AB - I will tell you what is more important.

First the ability of emergency services to try to save the life of the person in question or other people injured in the same incident where the presence of a priest giving last rites may hamper their efforts to save lives.

Secondly where we are dealing with a crime scene and allowing a priest to access that scene may contaminate evidence making it unusable in a trial that would potentially convict a dangerous criminal and also provide justice for the victim's family.

Both are more important. But as I've said previously these would be very rare situations so in the vast, vast majority of cases there will be no issue with a priest being able to administer the last rites, providing that the person consents to receive them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2021, 03:44:48 PM »
One thing is absolutely certain - we are all going to die.
As a devout Christian, what I consider to be of supreme importance is the opportunity for the dying person to ask forgiveness for their sins and to re affirm their acceptance of Jesus as their Saviour.  I know the person may have the  opportunity to do this without a priest, but I am certain that the presence of the priest will encourage the the dying person to be at peace with God before they end this earthly life.  What else could be more important?
cheese

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2021, 04:53:15 PM »
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein