Author Topic: Tory corruption part 673,451  (Read 1542 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Tory corruption part 673,451
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 09:13:30 AM »
Par for the course.

No one will pay any attention.

Nothing to see here, move along.

The country (talking about England here) is half full of morally bankrupt, lazy thinking, apathetic voters. And those are just the ones that didn't vote for Johnson.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 01:24:33 PM »
Just ffs!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-line-up-block-fellow-25364391
I think the notion that Tory MPs are planning to vote down the findings of an independent investigation is appalling.

However I do think that the process has no right of appeal is very strange - I've never known any kind of dicsiplinary/grievance etc appeal that doesn't have an appeal stage.

So I think MPs should uphold the recommendations under the current process but change them to include a right of appeal in future cases.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 07:02:26 PM »
And the Tories vote to support corruption, again

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 09:50:28 PM »
I wish I was surprised.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 10:43:44 AM »
Susie Dent's word of the day yesterday

Word of the day is ‘malversation’ (16th century): the corrupt administration of power.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 11:54:34 AM »
Reports now saying that the UK Government have done a u-turn and will allow a straight vote on on the suspension of Paterson - presumably they eventually realised that the fuckwittery they indulged in yesterday wouldn't fly, which speaks volumes for the competence of the likes of Leadsom, Rees Mogg and Boris the Liar: no surprise there then.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 12:08:53 PM »
"Integrity is everything to me. You cease to function as a proper MP if people don't trust you."

Owen Paterson MP
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 12:54:35 PM by Nearly Sane »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »
Reports now saying that the UK Government have done a u-turn and will allow a straight vote on on the suspension of Paterson - presumably they eventually realised that the fuckwittery they indulged in yesterday wouldn't fly, which speaks volumes for the competence of the likes of Leadsom, Rees Mogg and Boris the Liar: no surprise there then.
It is quite astonishing that they spent ages cooking up an approach to get Paterson off the hook and then u-turned in hours. Not only does it demonstrate corrupt practice in the first place and incompetence in carrying it through. But also demonstrates how achingly out of touch the government is - did they not realise this would be a huge own goal and that the public and the press would be incensed. What planet are they living on.

And there is another point about internal Tory morale (not that I particularly care) - the government forced hundreds of their MPs (under whip) to vote for this and I'm sure plenty of them know this would go down like a bag of sick with their constituents. Yet within a day the government has u-turned, but their vote in favour will always remain on the record.

And poor old Kwasi Kwarteng (again I cannot believe I'm saying this) - basically made to do the rounds of the media organisations this morning desparately trying (and failing) to justify the government's position, and is now made to look a complete fool due to the u-turn. How will he feel about his leader! These sort of things come back to bite you.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:34:42 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 02:37:50 PM »
Recent reports on the Guardian Live blog say that Paterson has decided to resign as an MP.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 02:59:41 PM »
Recent reports on the Guardian Live blog say that Paterson has decided to resign as an MP.

Yes, he has

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59167783

Gordon

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »
Fraser Nelson being good if overly generous on the corruption

https://archive.vn/IyYjz

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 11:34:43 AM »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 11:48:21 AM »
Brilliant cartoon.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »

That tells you everything. The cartoon is from the Daily Telegraph. Even the Daily Telegraph has a problem with what is going on (or at least has no problem with its contributors having a problem).

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 10:26:11 PM »
Even allowing for the fact that she has, I'm sure, got a few sour grapes lying around, you can't fault her statement:

"In case you weren't sure, you can be now. We are being governed by the worst bunch of second rate, incompetent shysters ever. Ever."

Anna Soubrey
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 11:13:38 AM »
Isn't it funny how all these jobs that the Tories have, which they claim help the better understand the needs of the country, are advising banks or working in the Virgin Islands etc.,.  How strange that they don't choose a bus drivers job or a care workers to understand what is happening in this country.

PS Ed Balls' series on BBC2 (last night) about the care sector is well worth a watch.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 10:36:10 AM »
Deep Tory corruption is all fine.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/07/labour-calls-on-jacob-rees-mogg-to-resign-over-lobbying-row
That URL is deeply misleading. The story it links to is mainly about George Eustice.

Clickbait URLs aside, I don't think Eustice really gets it. He thinks the story is about the corrupt actions of one MP, but it isn't. It's about the way the government condoned the corruption and tried to save the MP involved. It reminds me a bit about the Catholic church and sex crimes of its priests. Several people tried to tell me that the incidence of pedophilia in priests was no worse than in other professions where people were in contact with minors. They failed to see the point which was that the Catholic Church was complicit in covering up the crimes committed by its employees.

Or maybe it's just a deflection tactic. Get people to concentrate on the person who broke the rules and they will forget that the government tried to get him off the hook.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 10:39:24 AM »
Isn't it funny how all these jobs that the Tories have, which they claim help the better understand the needs of the country, are advising banks or working in the Virgin Islands etc.,. 

Did he say which country he was trying to understand better? Personally, I think I need to understand Barbados better. Or maybe the Canary Islands or Meribel if it's during the skiing season.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 11:26:07 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 01:55:03 PM »
Private Eye front page

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 07:39:55 PM »
Lying incompetent corrupt racist thug lies about corruption.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59238464