Author Topic: ITV - Smart motorways  (Read 556 times)

Harrowby Hall

ITV - Smart motorways
« on: November 03, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »
Good Morning Britain, ITV's breakfast news magazine programme has started a campaign to stop the further development (and future re-conversion) of "smart motorways" because of the increased threat they pose to the safety of road users. This may have been prompted by the the Commons Transport Committe having concerns about the safety of "smart motorways".

The main concern s the removal of the hard shoulder to make a further running lane. This results in an inherently unsafe environment for any broken-down vehicle. In addition it also removes accessibilty for emergency services. Ambulances may either take a very long time to access an injured person, or the whole carriageway may need to de closed so that emergency vehicles can access the scene by "wrong way" driving on the now-empty carriageway.

Another concern is the level of "smartness" being built into conversions. People being employed to watch several monitors simultaneously in order to identify situations requiring appropriate action.

There appears to be a universal dislike of "smart motorways" among the presenting team and open scorn of the government - suggesting that the government's reluctance to halt their further development would make look as though the original idea was not a good one.

Two thoughts occur to me. One is that the programme is taking an open stance against a policy of the government in power. Would a campain like this be permitted on any BBC news programme?

The other is that a policy designed toencourage more motor vehicles to occupy given stretches of road is in practice at the same time as Alexander Johnson is bleating platitudes and promises at COP-26.

(My personal view - "smart motorways" are dangerous, the policy was ill-advised and was probably driven by efficiency rather than effectiveness.)
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: ITV - Smart motorways
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 07:25:18 PM »
Good Morning Britain, ITV's breakfast news magazine programme has started a campaign to stop the further development (and future re-conversion) of "smart motorways" because of the increased threat they pose to the safety of road users. This may have been prompted by the the Commons Transport Committe having concerns about the safety of "smart motorways".

The main concern s the removal of the hard shoulder to make a further running lane. This results in an inherently unsafe environment for any broken-down vehicle. In addition it also removes accessibilty for emergency services. Ambulances may either take a very long time to access an injured person, or the whole carriageway may need to de closed so that emergency vehicles can access the scene by "wrong way" driving on the now-empty carriageway.

Another concern is the level of "smartness" being built into conversions. People being employed to watch several monitors simultaneously in order to identify situations requiring appropriate action.

There appears to be a universal dislike of "smart motorways" among the presenting team and open scorn of the government - suggesting that the government's reluctance to halt their further development would make look as though the original idea was not a good one.

Two thoughts occur to me. One is that the programme is taking an open stance against a policy of the government in power. Would a campain like this be permitted on any BBC news programme?

The other is that a policy designed toencourage more motor vehicles to occupy given stretches of road is in practice at the same time as Alexander Johnson is bleating platitudes and promises at COP-26.

(My personal view - "smart motorways" are dangerous, the policy was ill-advised and was probably driven by efficiency rather than effectiveness.)

What are the statistics? Are smart motorways really more dangerous than their non smart counterparts or are we just focusing on one aspect whilst ignoring the overall picture.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
Re: ITV - Smart motorways
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 04:42:55 PM »
What are the statistics? Are smart motorways really more dangerous than their non smart counterparts or are we just focusing on one aspect whilst ignoring the overall picture.

As far as I can determine the ONS does not collect or make the relevant statistics available in suitable form. Breakdown is counted as a contributary factor but you can't determine if the accident was in a live lane or hardshoulder. 

For specific data, some figures are included in the Highways England report at:
https://highwaysengland.co.uk/media/bb4lpkcp/smart-motorways-stocktake-first-year-progress-report-2021.pdf (p33)

Also, in an independent review:   
https://www.royalhaskoningdhv.com/-/media/royalhaskoningdhvcorporate/files/independent-review-of-all-lane-running.pdf?la=en-gb (p178)

In all cases the numbers are small, but clearly some people are being injured or killed in "running" lanes where they would likely have been safe on a hard shoulder. The extent of this could be estimated by comparing the figures for ALR m-ways against controlled m-ways (CM) which implement the other safety features of smart motorways but retain a hard shoulder.

The "overall picture" means nothing to someone who has lost their friend or relative because of poor design or negligence in ensuring safety.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now