Author Topic: Many paths  (Read 11731 times)

The Accountant, OBE, KC

Re: Many paths
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2021, 10:07:09 PM »
We aren't talking about salvation (whatever that actually means) we are talking about very human attributes of devotion, selflessness and wisdom.

Google is your friend. Salvation = preservation or deliverance from harm, ruin, or loss.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2021, 04:53:28 AM »

Thanks a lot ekim and Gabriella for your correct understanding of my OP.   

Some peoples minds are so microscopic and 'Zoom-In' that they need to micro analyse everything, even simple words. Add to that their complexes and need to defend their atheism....and you get an impetuous mixture.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2021, 09:24:48 AM »

Thanks a lot ekim and Gabriella for your correct understanding of my OP.   

Some peoples minds are so microscopic and 'Zoom-In' that they need to micro analyse everything, even simple words. Add to that their complexes and need to defend their atheism....and you get an impetuous mixture.
No problem - just calling it how I see it.

But we all have our biases and complexes- it's not just some people - it's all people including you, me and PD. Your posts seem to reflect your own complexes, including many times some generalisations about the West. Sometimes your posts seem to make some condescending assumptions about people who are not interested in your ideas of religious / supernatural / untestable spirituality. A lot of atheists I meet over here think very deeply about spiritual matters and seem very selfless and devoted. They just choose not to accept as true and to follow every unproven possible explanation that blows by in the wind. 

For example some of your posts seem to assert that people who are not interested in your brand of spirituality and are only interested in science have not evolved spiritually, unless I have misunderstood? Whereas Susan Doris, for example, and some other atheist posters have talked about their sense of the spiritual but justifiably reject the unproven assertions of any particular philosophy (including your unproven philosophical assertions). I think a while back Susan even referred us to a book she read called the The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

ekim

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »

So imagine if a humanist had posted the following, analogous to the OP.

'Humanism considers that to be an ethical person you should strive to attain the virtues of devotion, of selflessness, of wisdom. Anyone can follow humanist principles, even Hindus and Christians and if they follow those humanist principles they too can become an ethical person.'

Can't you see just how condescending and insulting that would come across to a Hindu or a Christian, who quite reasonably would reply 'sod you, those aren't exclusively humanist principles, our religion teaches us the same thing. We are perfectly capable of following our own teaching if we want to be a good person, we don't need you lecturing us. How dare you imply that the only way we can demonstrate our ethical nature is by aligning ourselves with your philosophy which doesn't teach us anything new'.

That sounds more like the way an intolerant humanist would react.  I think Sriram has answered the likely outcome "There are many paths and we can choose any one that works for us. There is no one organisation or authority who dictates what all Hindus should do."  They would probably accept humanism as just another 'path' and allot it a space amongst all others.  A Christian, if feeling insulted, would probably 'turn the other cheek', forgive you and pray for your soul.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2021, 09:45:26 AM »
Gabriella

I don't think I have criticized anyone for their lack of interest in spirituality. As I have said many times...I believe that everyone develops spiritually regardless of their beliefs. So, that's not an issue with me.

I only criticize people who are willing to speculate on matters that they classify as 'science' but criticize people who might speculate on matters that they choose to classify as 'woo'. What I call the 'Two Boxes Syndrome'.   

I also criticize people for their insistence on physical and measurable evidence  for phenomena that are not measurable. Their insistence on treating the brain as a living, thinking entity that can by itself conjure up imagery of an after-life and other such things. Their dismissal of scientists who choose to take a more open view of what reality could be  ..... and so on and so forth........

Anyway thanks. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:47:29 AM by Sriram »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2021, 09:59:33 AM »
Gabriella

I don't think I have criticized anyone for their lack of interest in spirituality. As I have said many times...I believe that everyone develops spiritually regardless of their beliefs. So, that's not an issue with me.

I only criticize people who are willing to speculate on matters that they classify as 'science' but criticize people who might speculate on matters that they choose to classify as 'woo'. What I call the 'Two Boxes Syndrome'.   

I also criticize people for their insistence on physical and measurable evidence  for phenomena that are not measurable. Their insistence on treating the brain as a living, thinking entity that can by itself conjure up imagery of an after-life and other such things. Their dismissal of scientists who choose to take a more open view of what reality could be  ..... and so on and so forth........

Anyway thanks.
I would agree that there is nothing wrong with speculating, whether it is speculating about the material or the abstract. It's part of the exploratory process and what it is to be human IMO.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »
I would agree that there is nothing wrong with speculating, whether it is speculating about the material or the abstract. It's part of the exploratory process and what it is to be human IMO.

Speculation is fine and can be interesting, however assuming the validity or truth of speculation and going around organising society on that basis, or even chest thumping on an assumed superiority, is not. 
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2021, 04:51:50 PM »
But none, it seems, that don't require belief in the fundamental disembodiment of the self. Why must spirituality always involve an immortality project?

Because, like many people, Sriram needs to believe there is something more to existence than the one lifetime he has on earth. For some people, the idea of ceasing to exist is an uncomfortable one to accept.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2021, 06:48:55 PM »
That sounds more like the way an intolerant humanist would react. ...  A Christian, if feeling insulted, would probably 'turn the other cheek', forgive you and pray for your soul.
Yup, of course christianity, and other religions, have always been in the business of graciously accepting any insults. And there was me thinking that religions in general and christianity in particular have a longstanding history of promulgating laws which make it illegal to insult christianity (and other religions). And this isn't just something from the past - I think that a quarter of countries across the world have blasphemy laws which make it illegal to insult one or more religions. And in some cases they are so prepared to 'turn the other cheek' if their religion is insulted that the penalty for blasphemy is death.

And just to make sure I am being even handed in my information, let's also consider all the countries that have specific laws that make it illegal to insult humanism in a similar manner. Oh yes, that would be exactly zero.

So if there are any people that so touchy about the beliefs being insulted that they make it an offence, that would be religious people and their beliefs not humanists.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 07:50:36 PM by ProfessorDavey »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2021, 10:16:25 AM »
Speculation is fine and can be interesting, however assuming the validity or truth of speculation and going around organising society on that basis, or even chest thumping on an assumed superiority, is not.
I agree that assuming the truth of speculation without objective evidence leaves any resulting organising of society open to challenge.

I don't think this is peculiar to religion though - it seems to be a human trait to try to organise society around political / philosophical speculations based on what people believe to be their truths e.g. in relation to ethics. We as humans like telling other people how they ought to behave and think and people seem to be prone to trying to convince others to agree with them.

ekim

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2021, 10:25:58 AM »
Yup, of course christianity, and other religions, have always been in the business of graciously accepting any insults. And there was me thinking that religions in general and christianity in particular have a longstanding history of promulgating laws which make it illegal to insult christianity (and other religions). And this isn't just something from the past - I think that a quarter of countries across the world have blasphemy laws which make it illegal to insult one or more religions. And in some cases they are so prepared to 'turn the other cheek' if their religion is insulted that the penalty for blasphemy is death.

And just to make sure I am being even handed in my information, let's also consider all the countries that have specific laws that make it illegal to insult humanism in a similar manner. Oh yes, that would be exactly zero.

So if there are any people that so touchy about the beliefs being insulted that they make it an offence, that would be religious people and their beliefs not humanists.

Yup, of course you are talking about religions and countries organised to support a power structure by conditioning the masses, much as atheistic communism does, the same sort of structure which cost Jesus his life.  I was talking about a Christian i.e. an individual who is endeavouring to follow the straight and narrow path advocated by Jesus rather than marching down the wide path leading to eternal conflict.  It would not surprise me that, if humanism ever became a widespread organisation, there would be some power hungry group which would seek to use it as a source of  control.  Anyway, I'm glad you got that off your chest.  Perhaps we could return the topic to Hinduism.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »

No point widening it out to the rest of the world to try to distract from the point that on this board, you seem to be doing a fine job of being somewhat intolerant of some of the language used by those who have a different world-view from you, making assumptions based on your biases,  and looking for insults where they don't exist.

Out of the theists on this forum, who has been complaining about blasphemy in people's posts? Maybe I missed it?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2021, 07:23:57 PM »
... you seem to be doing a fine job of being somewhat intolerant of some of the language used by those who have a different world-view from you...
I am perfectly entitled to express my opinions on this MB whether or not you agree with them and whether or not you have a different world view to me. And you are equally entitled to do the same.

However on this thread when I have expressed my views I have been variously described by you and Sriram (who both hold different world views to me) as ranting when I express my opinion, that I must be berserk for having such views and that my views are racist.

And apparently it is me who is intolerant of those who have a different world-view.

Beyond parody.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:13:10 PM by ProfessorDavey »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2021, 10:51:10 PM »
I am perfectly entitled to express my opinions on this MB whether or not you agree with them and whether or not you have a different world view to me. And you are equally entitled to do the same.

However on this thread when I have expressed my views I have been variously described by you and Sriram (who both hold different world views to me) as ranting when I express my opinion, that I must be berserk for having such views and that my views are racist.

And apparently it is me who is intolerant of those who have a different world-view.

Beyond parody.
In your posts on this thread: #3, #4, #5, #6, and #8, you described Sriram as either being casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping. So 5 accusatory posts by you against one poster in such a short space of time can accurately be described as you ranting I think. I think Sriram was being charitable when he wondered if you had gone berserk. But no one is denying your right to go berserk or rant on here when expressing your opinions.

By the way, I mentioned you ranting because you described someone else as ranting on another thread. I thought you liked the word and that is why you used it, and naturally I assumed if you use it about other people's posts then obviously you would not mind your posts being described as a rant, especially as your post was a rant. It's all a bit of fun remember - that's how you described all the arguing on here.

I described your post #16 as coming across as patronising racism because you were telling a poster from a different country that this board was not the place for their Hindu philosophy even though this board is called "Philosophy in all its guises" and you also told the foreign poster "you need to take more care with your language" after the poster had confirmed that it was you who had misunderstood his post. I suspect you misunderstood it due to your own lazy negative stereotyping and prejudices, as I assume your English comprehension skills are adequate.

Telling someone from another country and culture that their culture's philosophy does not belong on this board, and that you are insulted by the way they express themselves in English, even though their posts were fairly polite and articulate could be seen as racist.     

Good - so you have no evidence of any theist on here trying to moderate people's posts by accusing them of blasphemy. Presumably if you had evidence of that you would have linked to it. So it's just you then trying to tell people what language they should be employing when addressing atheists. If you feel the need to launch into another rant about it, as you correctly pointed out, it is your right to be able to express your opinions on this MB.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2021, 09:24:05 AM »
In your posts on this thread: #3, #4, #5, #6, and #8, you described Sriram as either being casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping. So 5 accusatory posts by you against one poster in such a short space of time can accurately be described as you ranting I think.
Blimey - pot, kettle.

So you accuse me of five accusatory points in five separate post (note not including my first post on this thread). Not quite sure how your are counting there VG

For consistency - in your very first post on this thread you made the following slurs about me:
That I am ranting (1)
That I am making lazy (2) western centric assumptions (3)
That I am biased (4)
That I am misrepresenting (5)
That I am condescending (6)
That I am patronising (7)
That I am racist (eight)

So if I am ranting, what on earth does that make you VG - is there some kind of word for a mega-rant, and uber-rant etc etc. No idea.

And frankly, I'll take 1-7 on the chin in the spirit of knock-about etc. I won't take 8.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2021, 09:31:30 AM »
Telling someone from another country and culture that their culture's philosophy does not belong on this board, and that you are insulted by the way they express themselves in English, even though their posts were fairly polite and articulate could be seen as racist.
But I never said that VG - do not misrepresent me and do not accuse me of racism based on your misrepresentation.

Note that is wasn't me, but Enki who first suggested this thread would be better on the Eastern Religions section of the MB if it was to be a narrow discussion of Hinduism, rather than a broader philosophical discussion:

I think perhaps Sriram's opening post should have been in the 'Eastern Religions' section rather than the 'Philosophy in all its guises' section as all he seems to be doing is limited to and expounding areas of Hindu philosphy for those who are interested in such things.

Is he/she also racist VG for suggesting this.

All I did was also indicate that if Sriram only wanted to discuss the Hindu religion (reply 13) Then as Enki suggests this might have been better in the Eastern Religion section.

How on earth is that racist.

I note also that Enki also suggested that the thread might be better in the Eastern Religion section - again is he/she racist for suggesting this VG.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »
Blimey - pot, kettle.

So you accuse me of five accusatory points in five separate post (note not including my first post on this thread). Not quite sure how your are counting there VG

For consistency - in your very first post on this thread you made the following slurs about me:
That I am ranting (1)
That I am making lazy (2) western centric assumptions (3)
That I am biased (4)
That I am misrepresenting (5)
That I am condescending (6)
That I am patronising (7)
That I am racist (eight)

So if I am ranting, what on earth does that make you VG - is there some kind of word for a mega-rant, and uber-rant etc etc. No idea.
Seemed like a fitting response to your ranting in your earlier posts on this thread. And as I mentioned before I used the word "rant" because you described someone else's post as a rant so I thought you were comfortable with the word. Why so touchy if you're comfortable using "rant" about other people's posts? Sure you can describe my post as a rant if you want - it was intended as a reflection back to you of your posts on this thread. 

I did not say you are racist - I actually addressed the contents of your posts and said your reply #16 just comes across as patronising racism to me. I have no idea if you are a racist - I don't know you. You really need to work on your English comprehension skills. I thought they were adequate but clearly not judging from your latest posts.

And frankly, I'll take 1-7 on the chin in the spirit of knock-about etc. I won't take 8.
Doesn't matter what you will take. I still think your  response in post #16 about a foreign poster's use of language  comes across as patronising racism to me, especially since it was you that misunderstood the meaning of Sriram's post.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
But I never said that VG - do not misrepresent me and do not accuse me of racism based on your misrepresentation.
Why not? You seem comfortable misrepresenting Sriram and accusing him of either being casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping. Therefore not seeing the problem with saying your reply #16 comes across as patronising racism to me. 

Note that is wasn't me, but Enki who first suggested this thread would be better on the Eastern Religions section of the MB if it was to be a narrow discussion of Hinduism, rather than a broader philosophical discussion:

I think perhaps Sriram's opening post should have been in the 'Eastern Religions' section rather than the 'Philosophy in all its guises' section as all he seems to be doing is limited to and expounding areas of Hindu philosphy for those who are interested in such things.

Is he/she also racist VG for suggesting this.

All I did was also indicate that if Sriram only wanted to discuss the Hindu religion (reply 13) Then as Enki suggests this might have been better in the Eastern Religion section.

How on earth is that racist.

I note also that Enki also suggested that the thread might be better in the Eastern Religion section - again is he/she racist for suggesting this VG.
Yes agree that Enki first raised the suggestion that the OP should be on another board. However,  in context, Enki did not  repeatedly misrepresent Sriram, accompany his suggestion with a flurry of rants about Sriram being casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping, nor did Enki come across as patronising or advise Sriram to be careful about his use of language about atheists.

Enki's point was that "'devotion' as a Hindu term might well not raise much of an eyebrow, but as a philosphical idea, is open to all sorts of challenges and interpretations, as Prof Davey quite rightly, in my view, made clear." Maybe Sriram is open to being challenged.

I don't see the problem with discussing the different interpretations of "devotion". Sriram mentioned it in a Hindu philosophy context and mentioned atheists could follow that philosophy. Buddhist philosophy incorporates the idea of devotion without requiring gods to be devoted to. So my response to Enki would be philosophical ideas about devotion can be discussed on this board. I don't think we're constrained by Sriram's OP to only talking about Hindu philosophy on devotion or selflessness or wisdom. 

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2021, 11:07:12 AM »
Hi everyone,

According to Hindu philosophy, there is no one path to salvation.  There are many paths and we can choose any one that works for us.

We can choose the path of devotion or the path of selfless action or the path of wisdom. You can also be an atheist. Even in the path of devotion we can choose any deity that we prefer. There is no compulsion on any specific deity. There is no one organisation or authority who dictates what all Hindus should do.

No specific book or scripture is authoritative for all Hindus. You can follow or question any scripture. Generally, most Hindus will follow a combination of multiple paths.

In spite of this loose structure it has certain features that are common to all Hindus....Dharma (righteousness), Karma, reincarnation and Moksha (liberation).   The idea is to experience life in many forms and through these experiences to finally go inwards and realize our own inner divinity.

For information.

Cheers.

Sriram

Here is an interesting take on Western philosophical ideas around selflessness. As there appears to be no demonstrable, repeatable, testable, objective evidence for anyone experiencing life in many forms or divinity, beliefs about reincarnation and divinity are not addressed in this essay. But it does support your idea that lack of belief in gods does not preclude people from a path of selflessness.

https://euppublishingblog.com/2020/09/29/selfless-philosopher/

Yet, the aversion to self-conceit fares well behind the limits of religious thought. Even some of the most radical Enlightenment thinkers did not hesitate to proclaim the harshest words against the passions of the self and to deprecate the desire for prestige in all its forms.

According to French Enlightenment philosopher Baron d’Holbach (1723–89), one of the fiercest critics of religion, vanity and pride generate a feedback loop that pushes human beings towards illusions and false beliefs. The only way for an individual to achieve philosophical knowledge is through renouncing their selfishness.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 11:28:52 AM by Violent Gabriella »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
I still think your  response in post #16 about a foreign poster's use of language  comes across as patronising racism to me, especially since it was you that misunderstood the meaning of Sriram's post.
Once again you have got it wrong.

Your rather unsubtle inference being that I somehow think that because Sriram is from India that he can't write English properly. I've never said this and I don't think it. I have no issue whatsoever with Sriram's written English,  - there are a number of posters on this MB who regularly produce posts with written English that comes across as poorly written and incomprehensible. Sriram isn't one of those - his posts, and indeed his blog pieces are always well written.

The issue isn't how he says something but what he says.

Secondly - sometimes a post (from whoever) can post something which is confusing or unclear (we all do it). My approach with others (including yourself) and with Sriram, is often to ask them to clarify, and then if I'm still not clear to pose a straightforward question that gets to the heart of the matter. I've done this with you, I've done this with Vlad, I've done this with AO, I've done this with Jeremy P, I've done this with NS. And I did it with Sriram - so exactly the same approach - why is this somehow racist when used with Sriram, yet not when I use exactly the same approach with you, NS, Jeremy, OA, Vlad etc etc.

Third - sometimes people make comments which may not be intended to cause offence, but actually do. That isn't anything about the written English, nor does it relate to whether someone has English as a first language (I've no idea whether Sriram has, but his written English doesn't suggest he doesn't). It relates to the differing perspectives, values and experiences of the writer of the piece and the reader of a piece. It is perfectly acceptable to point out to someone who may have made a point that could cause offence that they might want to think about their choice of words, particularly where as I made plain, I didn't feel that Sriram intended to be insulting.

But the broadest point here is as follows:

Atheists regularly come across arguments that effective run as follows:

'you atheists are doomed, bad, lacking in virtue (delete as appropriate), but you can be saved, good, virtuous (delete as appropriate) provided you follow the rules of my religion'

I perceived Sriram's posts, including following his clarification as another articulation of this trope, which, not unreasonably, I have a problem with. But I don't just have a problem when Sriram posts in this manner - I also have a problem (and make my point) when Vlad makes a similar argument, when AB makes a similar argument, when AO makes a similar argument etc. So why is it racist when I raise the same point with Sriram that I have with others who happen to be based in the UK, ex-UK but Finnish etc etc.

And, of course, it wasn't just me who took issue with Sriram's moral certainty about his religion/spirituality, which is casually dismissive of other philosophical positions that may also consider devotion, selflessness and wisdom as important. Note that Bramble, Enki, Udayana and Jeremy P did so too.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 11:46:32 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Enki

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2021, 12:03:25 PM »
Why not? You seem comfortable misrepresenting Sriram and accusing him of either being casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping. Therefore not seeing the problem with saying your reply #16 comes across as patronising racism to me. 
Yes agree that Enki first raised the suggestion that the OP should be on another board. However,  in context, Enki did not  repeatedly misrepresent Sriram, accompany his suggestion with a flurry of rants about Sriram being casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping, nor did Enki come across as patronising or advise Sriram to be careful about his use of language about atheists.

Enki's point was that "'devotion' as a Hindu term might well not raise much of an eyebrow, but as a philosphical idea, is open to all sorts of challenges and interpretations, as Prof Davey quite rightly, in my view, made clear." Maybe Sriram is open to being challenged.

I don't see the problem with discussing the different interpretations of "devotion". Sriram mentioned it in a Hindu philosophy context and mentioned atheists could follow that philosophy. Buddhist philosophy incorporates the idea of devotion without requiring gods to be devoted to. So my response to Enki would be philosophical ideas about devotion can be discussed on this board. I don't think we're constrained by Sriram's OP to only talking about Hindu philosophy on devotion or selflessness or wisdom.

I have no problem whatever with anyone discussing/challenging/objecting to all sorts of ideas(such as what devotion means for whatever religion you care to mention).

Just to add to what I said as to why I think the opening post was better suited to the 'Eastern religions' section, I took Sriram's remark about it being 'for information' at face value, and therefore as it concerned information about Hinduism, it would probably be better suited to an area where those who wished to seek such information would be most likely to look.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2021, 12:14:46 PM »

I have no problem whatever with anyone discussing/challenging/objecting to all sorts of ideas(such as what devotion means for whatever religion you care to mention).

Just to add to what I said as to why I think the opening post was better suited to the 'Eastern religions' section, I took Sriram's remark about it being 'for information' at face value, and therefore as it concerned information about Hinduism, it would probably be better suited to an area where those who wished to seek such information would be most likely to look.
Indeed - that was also my point.

If Sriram expected a narrow discussion about Hinduism, then the place for that discussion is the Eastern Religions section. For it to be appropriate on the Philosophy section the discussion needs to be much broader than simply about a single religion.

But according to VG to make that point makes you a racist (or rather makes me a racist, she seems to have let you off the hook despite the fact that you and I were making exactly the same point).

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2021, 01:17:16 PM »

Hi everyone,

This thread is not about Hindu religion. It is not about its scriptures, its gods, temples and rituals.

This thread is about Hindu philosophy that stands at the base of the religion. It is a secular philosophy that applies to all humans and all living beings.  Also, pl refer to the Perennial Philosophy (and Aldous Huxley).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_philosophy

Most major religions have their secret teachings or their esoteric aspect that forms their base. These secret teachings have many similarities with each other, highlighting a common philosophical understanding of the world among many ancients down the ages.

It is important that we see beyond religions and their mythology.....and try to understand their philosophical base.  This will point to a more secular and common  understanding of our lives. Science does its bit as regards the physical world....but this is clearly not enough when it comes to a deeper reality.

Cheers.

Sriram 

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2021, 02:24:47 PM »
This thread is about Hindu philosophy that stands at the base of the religion. It is a secular philosophy that applies to all humans and all living beings.
It is a secular philosophy that applies to all humans and all living beings.

That is a very bold statement asserted as fact.

How do you know that Hindu philosophy applies to all living beings (or living things?). And I don't mean in a top-down manner akin to claiming this to be the case because the humans that developed this philosophy says it applies to, let's say, the oak tree in my front garden, or a gut bacterium in the gut of a hyena. No, I mean in a bottom-up manner. So how is this philosophy relevant to the oak tree in my front garden, or a gut bacterium in the gut of a hyena. How would their living existence be any different were hindu philosophy not to have been developed by humans a few thousands of years ago. How would the existence of an oak tree living before humans evolved, or a bacterium living before humans evolved be any different in a philosophical way.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:31:43 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »

Haven't I said somewhere before......'You can ask more questions than I can answer'.......?!