Author Topic: Many paths  (Read 11744 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Many paths
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2021, 02:47:48 PM »
Haven't I said somewhere before......'You can ask more questions than I can answer'.......?!
To an extent, fair enough, none of us have all the answers - which is one of the reasons I'm a scientist.

But if you don't have answers to my questions why make such a bold statement, asserted as fact, which simply begs the questions I posed.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2021, 02:57:20 PM »

Nothing bold about it. It is a fact that the philosophy takes into account other forms of life besides human and includes them in the process of spiritual evolution.  The unity of all life is recognized. It is not a human centric philosophy.

I am sure you will have lots of questions on that..but my answer is the same. If you want read up on Hindu philosophy or the Perennial Philosophy. 

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2021, 03:03:48 PM »
It is a fact that the philosophy takes into account other forms of life besides human and includes them in the process of spiritual evolution.
If it is a fact as you claim then surely you will be able to answer my questions.

The reality is that it is not a fact, but an opinion.

The unity of all life is recognized. It is not a human centric philosophy.
Of course it is human centric as this philosophy did not exist and could not exist without humans. It is a philosophy derived by humans and therefore cannot reasonably engage with the lived experience of other species.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 03:13:44 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2021, 03:17:04 PM »
It is a fact that the philosophy takes into account other forms of life besides human and includes them in the process of spiritual evolution.
That doesn't mean it isn't human centric - all it means is that it considers non human life. I accept that many eastern religions are less focussed on humans than the judaeo-christian tradition that either ignore other species or see them largely as 'play things' for humans. But this is all degrees. Just because Hindu philosophy doesn't ignore other species doesn't mean that it isn't human centred.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2021, 03:32:49 PM »
That doesn't mean it isn't human centric - all it means is that it considers non human life. I accept that many eastern religions are less focussed on humans than the judaeo-christian tradition that either ignore other species or see them largely as 'play things' for humans. But this is all degrees. Just because Hindu philosophy doesn't ignore other species doesn't mean that it isn't human centred.
I am not really sure that any 'philosophy' can avoid being anthropocentric.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2021, 03:46:49 PM »
I am not really sure that any 'philosophy' can avoid being anthropocentric.
I agree - some are to a greater extent than others, but all are necessarily informed from human experience and cannot be similarly informed by non-human experience.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2021, 04:00:30 PM »
If it is a fact as you claim then surely you will be able to answer my questions.

The reality is that it is not a fact, but an opinion.

I presume you are an Englishman and understand english.  It is a FACT that the philosophy takes into account other forms of life... That is factually true.

ekim

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2021, 04:03:37 PM »
It is a secular philosophy that applies to all humans and all living beings.

That is a very bold statement asserted as fact.

How do you know that Hindu philosophy applies to all living beings (or living things?).

'Hindu philosophy' is such a broad and generalised term that a comprehensive answer is probably impossible but there are aspects of it which might give a clue.  These aspects seem to distinguish between ' life' (living being) and 'life forms' ( living things), terms which you seem to have implied as meaning the same.  Much of the philosophy seems more in line with the original meaning of philo-sophia - love of wisdom (wisdom in its original sense of vision representing consciousness).  It tends to be esoteric in nature rather than exoteric and is used together with a variety of methods to guide the individual inwards beyond the objective and subjective mind which the scientific method might focus on.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »
I agree - some are to a greater extent than others, but all are necessarily informed from human experience and cannot be similarly informed by non-human experience.
  Not sure the gradation makes any sense. If no 'philosophy' is informed by non human experience, then they are all exactly as anthropocentic as each other.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:11:30 PM by Nearly Sane »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2021, 04:15:56 PM »
I presume you are an Englishman and understand english.  It is a FACT that the philosophy takes into account other forms of life... That is factually true.
No - it is an opinion. That is takes into account other forms of life is an assertion - have you asked those other forms of life whether their experiences etc are 'being taken into account' in your philosophy. Whether or not a philosophy takes x, y, or z into account is surely in the eye of the beholder - i.e. x, y, or z. Otherwise all it is is an assertion.

If I said that I'd taken into account the views of other people in developing a policy, this wouldn't be anything more than assertion unless you could demonstrate that the views of those other people were sought and those people confirmed that their views had been considered in the development of that policy. Merely claiming you've taken them into account doesn't come anywhere near close to being sufficient.

It might, arguably, be a fact that it attempts to take into account other forms of life, it is not a fact that it actually does, that is an opinion.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:43:05 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2021, 04:19:03 PM »
  Not sure the gradation makes any sense. If no 'philosophy' is informed by non human experience, then they are all exactly as anthropocentic as each other.
I know what you mean, but I do think there is a difference between:

1) A philosophy that ignores non-human species or considers them to be simply a commodity to be used by humans ... and

2) A philosophy that attempts to include non-human species but is necessarily unable to do so properly as the philosophy cannot incorporate any element of lived experience from those non human species.

Both are human centric but the former makes no attempt not to be, while the latter makes an attempt that is futile.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2021, 04:23:21 PM »
I know what you mean, but I do think there is a difference between:

1) A philosophy that ignores non-human species or considers them to be simply a commodity to be used by humans ... and

2) A philosophy that attempts to include non-human species but is necessarily unable to do so properly as the philosophy cannot incorporate any element of lived experience from those non human species.

Both are human centric but the former makes no attempt not to be, while the latter makes an attempt that is futile.
  Surely both of those are just about different types of anthropocentric experiences?  And also, surely, that's a false dichotomy?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:32:43 PM by Nearly Sane »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »
Surely both of those are just about different types of anthropocentric experiences?
They are. 

And also, surely, that's a false dichotomy?
Both are athropocentric - but one is overtly and deliberately so - not caring at all about the existence and experience of other life forms. The other does attempt to consider them but is unsuccessful as it cannot get beyond an experience of the world from a human perspective.

So I don't know whether it is a false dichotomy, but I do think the distinctions between the two are significant.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2021, 04:46:37 PM »
They are. 
Both are athropocentric - but one is overtly and deliberately so - not caring at all about the existence and experience of other life forms. The other does attempt to consider them but is unsuccessful as it cannot get beyond an experience of the world from a human perspective.

So I don't know whether it is a false dichotomy, but I do think the distinctions between the two are significant.
What's the real difference between something that accepts or doesn't recognise what its limitations are, and something that ignores or doesn't recognise those limitations?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2021, 04:57:38 PM »
What's the real difference between something that accepts or doesn't recognise what its limitations are, and something that ignores or doesn't recognise those limitations?
Answers on a postcard please ;)

Actually recognising limitations is important - but I don't think that christianity (as an example) ignores other species because it recognises its limits in only being able to base a philosophical/religious approach from the perspective of human experience. I think it ignores them because its philosophical position is that humans are superior to other species.

So perhaps we have a trichomy.

1. My philosophy is anthropocentric because I ignore other species as I don't give a damn about them
2. My philosophy is anthropocentric because I ignore other species as I recognise the limitations of my approach are such that they can only reasonably take into account the experience of the human species.
3. My philosophy is anthropocentric because, although I attempt to take into account other species this isn't possible because the limits to my approach.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 05:18:48 PM by ProfessorDavey »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »
Once again you have got it wrong.
You mean like you did when it came to Sriram's OP - which you then ranted about based on your misunderstanding of his OP. Still not seeing why you think it's fine for you to misunderstand someone's post and accuse them of being casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping, but you seem to have a problem with me saying your reply #16 comes across as patronising racism. What's the difference?   

Your rather unsubtle inference being that I somehow think that because Sriram is from India that he can't write English properly. I've never said this and I don't think it. I have no issue whatsoever with Sriram's written English,  - there are a number of posters on this MB who regularly produce posts with written English that comes across as poorly written and incomprehensible. Sriram isn't one of those - his posts, and indeed his blog pieces are always well written.
Nope, I wasn't implying that you think Sriram can't write English properly. That is clearly untrue as you pointed out.

No, my point was that Sriram is from another culture and is politely expressing his thoughts about where atheism meets Hindu philosophy, that stem from his cultural understanding of atheism. Telling him that his interpretation is casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping based on your cultural interpretation of atheism comes across as patronising racism - cultural racism. I don't think your cultural interpretation of atheism carries any more weight than any other culture's interpretation of atheism.

Sriram seems to think atheism can fit in with the Hindu philosophical ideas he posted about, and you don't. Despite Sriram clarifying what he meant at your request you felt it was fine to go on to accuse Sriram in multiple posts of being prejudiced based on your interpretation. Therefore by the same token it's fine for me to say your post is prejudiced based on my interpretation. If you hold a cultural belief that describing your prejudice as patronising racism is worse than accusing Sriram of being prejudiced, it's entirely your right to hold that opinion. I'm not you so I have no idea how it feels for you to be told your opinion comes across as patronising racism. You're not Sriram so you have no idea how it feels for Sriram to be told his opinions are prejudiced and lazy negative stereotyping against atheists.

As far as I can tell Sriram was saying that Hindu philosophy about devotion, selflessness and wisdom makes room for atheists to also follow that philosophy because the philosophy does not require a belief in the supernatural or gods.

Secondly - sometimes a post (from whoever) can post something which is confusing or unclear (we all do it). My approach with others (including yourself) and with Sriram, is often to ask them to clarify, and then if I'm still not clear to pose a straightforward question that gets to the heart of the matter. I've done this with you, I've done this with Vlad, I've done this with AO, I've done this with Jeremy P, I've done this with NS. And I did it with Sriram - so exactly the same approach - why is this somehow racist when used with Sriram, yet not when I use exactly the same approach with you, NS, Jeremy, OA, Vlad etc etc.
I did not say that your reply #1 came across as patronising racism. I referenced reply #16 where after repeatedly telling Sriram in #3, #4, #5, #6, and #8 that he was insulting/ prejudiced based on your misunderstanding, you quoted Sriram confirming that he thinks that according to Hindu philosophy atheists can get salvation. You then thanked him and then went on to say "you could have made things a lot easier by being clear about this in the first place. And I would also urge you not to engage in language the perpetuates lazy stereotypes about groups of people, for example by implying that it is somehow controversial or newsworthy to suggest that atheists can exhibit devotion, selflessness and wisdom...So please think a little more carefully about your choice of words when discussing attributes that you imply about a group, rather than about an individual person."

Sriram was clear and he repeatedly clarified his meaning that he was saying atheists and theists could both be devoted, selfless and wise according to Hindu philosophy as a belief in gods was not a prerequisite. So not sure why you repeatedly laboured the point that you thought his posts were insulting and prejudiced against atheists. 

Third - sometimes people make comments which may not be intended to cause offence, but actually do. That isn't anything about the written English, nor does it relate to whether someone has English as a first language (I've no idea whether Sriram has, but his written English doesn't suggest he doesn't). It relates to the differing perspectives, values and experiences of the writer of the piece and the reader of a piece. It is perfectly acceptable to point out to someone who may have made a point that could cause offence that they might want to think about their choice of words, particularly where as I made plain, I didn't feel that Sriram intended to be insulting.
On this MB I have lost count of the number of times atheists have been insulting to theists and theists have been insulting to atheists- intentionally. Both give as good as they get. Why are we suddenly worrying about unintentional insults to atheists and asking people to moderate their language to atheists when it comes to a post by Sriram about Hindu philosophy where he is basically saying Hindu philosophy does not require a belief in gods so can apply to atheists too?

What was it about Sriram's post that has set you off? Why worry about insulting atheists now, given all the insults flying back and forth between theists and atheists on this MB?

But the broadest point here is as follows:

Atheists regularly come across arguments that effective run as follows:

'you atheists are doomed, bad, lacking in virtue (delete as appropriate), but you can be saved, good, virtuous (delete as appropriate) provided you follow the rules of my religion'

I perceived Sriram's posts, including following his clarification as another articulation of this trope, which, not unreasonably, I have a problem with. But I don't just have a problem when Sriram posts in this manner - I also have a problem (and make my point) when Vlad makes a similar argument, when AB makes a similar argument, when AO makes a similar argument etc. So why is it racist when I raise the same point with Sriram that I have with others who happen to be based in the UK, ex-UK but Finnish etc etc.
I thought that was obvious - apparently if you have more melanin than people who criticise you for being an annoying narcissist, their criticism is due to racism. Ask Meghan Markle. But seriously, as explained above Sriram is from a different culture with a different cultural outlook on a UK board talking about Hindu philosophy and you launched into multiple posts telling him he was insulting/ prejudiced etc based on your misunderstanding of his posts. I think that seems dismissive of a different cultural outlook. If you have repeatedly told others on here that they are insulting and prejudiced in multiple posts over a short period of time I haven't noticed - perhaps you could reference the threads where you did it. 

And, of course, it wasn't just me who took issue with Sriram's moral certainty about his religion/spirituality, which is casually dismissive of other philosophical positions that may also consider devotion, selflessness and wisdom as important. Note that Bramble, Enki, Udayana and Jeremy P did so too.
A lot of people on this MB are casually dismissive of other people's ideas - it doesn't become suddenly more obnoxious when Sriram does it. Also, Bramble, Enki, Udayana and Jeremy P didn't post multiple times accusing Sriram of being insulting and prejudiced. As explained multiple times now, only you did that.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2021, 05:42:13 PM »
No - it is an opinion. That is takes into account other forms of life is an assertion - have you asked those other forms of life whether their experiences etc are 'being taken into account' in your philosophy. Whether or not a philosophy takes x, y, or z into account is surely in the eye of the beholder - i.e. x, y, or z. Otherwise all it is is an assertion.
Is that like saying biology is asserting it takes into account other life forms apart from humans because no one has asked the penguins or the trees if they agree with what is written in our biology books?

I agree with Sriram. It is factually true that the Hindu philosophy takes into account non-human life, albeit from a human perspective.  "Takes into account" means the philosophy has something to say about it. We don't need to ask the trees if they concur.

If I said that I'd taken into account the views of other people in developing a policy, this wouldn't be anything more than assertion unless you could demonstrate that the views of those other people were sought and those people confirmed that their views had been considered in the development of that policy. Merely claiming you've taken them into account doesn't come anywhere near close to being sufficient.
Until Dr Doolittle appears to advise us otherwise we'll go with the assumption that the penguins are not going to correct human understanding of their existence and perspectives.

It might, arguably, be a fact that it attempts to take into account other forms of life, it is not a fact that it actually does, that is an opinion.
Is there any reason you are being so pedantic when it comes to correcting Sriram as opposed to any other poster? ;)
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »
You mean like you did when it came to Sriram's OP - which you then ranted about based on your misunderstanding of his OP. Still not seeing why you think it's fine for you to misunderstand someone's post and accuse them of being casually insulting, prejudiced, or pandering to lazy negative stereotyping, but you seem to have a problem with me saying your reply #16 comes across as patronising racism. What's the difference?
Actually I don't think I misunderstood his post and this was confirmed in Sriram's later posts.

My initial thought on the OP was that this was yet another of the 'you atheists are doomed, bad, lacking in virtue (delete as appropriate), but you can be saved, good, virtuous (delete as appropriate) provided you follow the rules of my religion' type views. And so it appears to be, hence reply 15.

Nope, I wasn't implying that you think Sriram can't write English properly. That is clearly untrue as you pointed out.
Really, I think your own words:

'... your condescending response (reply #16) about his use of the English language just comes across as patronising racism to me.'

tell a rather different story VG
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 07:42:40 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2021, 06:19:53 PM »
I think that seems dismissive of a different cultural outlook. If you have repeatedly told others on here that they are insulting and prejudiced in multiple posts over a short period of time I haven't noticed - perhaps you could reference the threads where you did it.
I've no intention of trawling back through previous threads, but I've been just as vociferous in my condemnation towards others for the lazy stereotyping of atheists and atheists are doomed, bad, lacking in virtue (delete as appropriate), but you can be saved, good, virtuous (delete as appropriate) provided you follow the rules of my religion type views. Just ask AB, AO, Spud, Vlad and a bunch of other posters over the years.

But apparently when I act in an entirely consistent manner with Sriram that I use with other posters I am racist - hmmm.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:43:05 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2021, 06:23:37 PM »
Is there any reason you are being so pedantic when it comes to correcting Sriram as opposed to any other poster? ;)
I'm not - I've been just as pedantic with NS just a couple of posts above. But you clearly only see my engagement with Sriram, perhaps because it is only if you can justify to yourself that this is different to my engagement with other poster can you sustain you claim that I am racist. Kind of doesn't work if I have the same approach with NS, or Vlad, or Jeremy P, or AO or AB etc.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »
I agree with Sriram. It is factually true that the Hindu philosophy takes into account non-human life, albeit from a human perspective.  "Takes into account" means the philosophy has something to say about it.
I disagree - takes into account needs to mean more that an attempt to do so, even less a mere assertion that you do.

If I said that we'd taken account of the views of woman (in some consultation) and actually no-one had even discussed the matter with a single woman, I imagine you'd counter that I hadn't taken account of the views of women whatsoever.

If I said it was a fact that I'd taken account of the views of women (just because I claimed to have) you'd quite rightly laugh me out of court.

That Hindu philosophy takes into account non-human life is a subjective opinion not a demonstrable fact. The notion that I and others can easily counter this view through appeal to the anthropocentric nature of philosophies (as NS and I have been doing) shows that we are talking about opinion, not fact. So happy to discuss Sriram's opinion on the matter, as we are currently doing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:38:09 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2021, 06:34:10 PM »
Until Dr Doolittle appears to advise us otherwise we'll go with the assumption that the penguins are not going to correct human understanding of their existence and perspectives.
True - and therefore we need to conclude that human-derived philosophies do not, and cannot, take account of other species as they cannot be based on an meaningful understanding of their experiences and perceptions. And therefore these philosophies are to a greater, or lesser, sense anthropocentric in nature and limited as such.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2021, 07:53:49 PM »
A lot of people on this MB are casually dismissive of other people's ideas - it doesn't become suddenly more obnoxious when Sriram does it.
Indeed - you are correct, which is why I challenge all sorts of posters on their casually dismissive views of atheists and atheism. But it also doesn't suddenly become racism when I challenge Sriram in exactly the same manner as I challenge others.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2021, 08:51:46 PM »
... you quoted Sriram confirming that he thinks that according to Hindu philosophy atheists can get salvation.
Except, of course, Sriram didn't say that - what he actually said was:

... even atheists can get salvation

And on devotion, selflessness and wisdom which he sees as spiritual:

... even atheists could be spiritual (by which Sriram indicated he meant devotion, selflessness and wisdom)

It is the word even which is the problem as it clearly implies that this is unexpected, exceptional etc. It is this word which turns a sentence which is otherwise anodyne into one that is casually insulting and pandering to lazy stereotyping of groups of people based on certain attributes.

So let's try some more analogies for size (note none of these are phrases I would use except for the purposes of this analogy):

... even women can be rational

... even jewish people can be generous

... even black people can be hard-working

... even muslims can be peace-loving

... even gay people can be monogamous

If you cannot see the issue, then, frankly I give up.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:42:53 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2021, 05:11:50 AM »

Oh...my...my...my!  What can I say about your powers of comprehension!?  And you are a professional scientist you say...well...well...well!

First of all.  It s not my opinion that Hindu philosophy includes other life forms. It is a fact! If you had any background in other cultures besides your own....you might have understood.

Secondly....including other life forms in ones philosophy does not mean we have to ask them their opinion before we include them. It is just our understanding of the totality of life and its purpose in which the lives of other animals is integrated with our own.

I am sure you are not going to get it...well...never mind!